Author Topic: Passing the love along  (Read 1053 times)

turf

PRO Supporter

Passing the love along
« on: December 17, 2012, 04:18:16 pm »
Last night I got the chance to be a hero in The Boy's eyes.  I have a 3 year old that likes to play with "The Big Games".  I have a PlayChoice-10 and a Donkey Kong/Donkey Kong Jr./Mario Bros. arcade cabinets in my back room.  We were playing and The Boy was trying to play SMB 1 while I played Mario Bros.  He's just now figuring out that moving the joystick right = Mario runs right.  He had run through all his life then he was asking Daddy for help.  I jumped in and carried on all the way through the game and saved the princess.  It BLEW. HIS. MIND.  I was the hero. 

The combination of him taking an intrest my games, the Nester comic in the last Nintendo Power, and the amazement in his eyes when the princess was finally in that castle has had me all emotional about games.  I'm really pumped that he's starting to be into the stuff I'm into.  I know there'll be one day that Dad will be into those stupid, old games; but for now I'm loving what's starting to happen.

soera

Re: Passing the love along
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2012, 04:40:37 pm »
Heh thats awesome. I think its the Mario games where my kids were super stoked to see the end too.

ko1ru

« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2012, 10:07:13 am »
That's so cute!  As long as you teach 'em young, you have nothing to fear -- sounds to me like he'll admire you and those games for a long time coming.  :)

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2012, 11:13:25 am »
Heart-warming story; FTW!
"Attempts must be made, even when there can be no hope.
 The alternative is despair.
 And betimes some wonder is wrought to redeem us"

turf

PRO Supporter

« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2012, 05:05:37 pm »

matt

« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2012, 07:03:07 pm »

jcalder8

« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2012, 12:04:19 am »
I remember those days! Enjoy them while they last.

My son would hand me the controller with complete faith that I would be able to finish off whatever part he was stuck in... and then he played TMNT on the 360 and he got stuck at some platformer and he confidently passed me the controller and he then asked for it back after I failed for the next five minutes to complete the same section. I did eventually beat it for him but I think he now knows that I am not as good as he thought lol.