Author Topic: The Comic Book Thread  (Read 38139 times)

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

The Comic Book Thread
« on: December 20, 2012, 12:34:00 am »
Didn't see one here already when I did a search. Forgive me if there is one.

This is the comic book thread. This is the thread to share your love for comics, talk about the latest happenings in your favorite books, compare books to the movies, or to show off your collection or latest comic pick-ups.'

What type of comics are you into? What got you into comic books? What are some of your favorite books or characters?

I've been a comic collector for pretty much my entire life, or at least for as long back as I can remember. My dad was a comic book collector, so I was exposed to comics at a very young age. I started off looking at his comics. I remember in particular liking EC horror comics like Tales From the Crypt and Vault of Horror. I also really liked Superman and Captain Marvel (Shazam) comics. As I got into grade school it was the late 80s/early 90s and my comic tastes started becoming influenced by my classmates. X-Men, Spider-Man, and Venom were all the craze so I started getting into those comics. I also discovered Green Lantern about that time and I haven't stopped reading that book ever since.

Nowadays I pretty much stick to Marvel and DC Comics, with a few licensed titles here and there like Star Trek or Masters of the Universe or the occasional video game tie-in comic. I seem to have a liking for cosmic stuff in particular.

Some of my favorite books/characters:
-Avengers
-Justice League
-Justice Society of America
-Green Lantern
-Iron Man
-Nova
-Quasar
-Spider-Man
-Star Trek: The Next Generation
-Starman (Both Will Payton and Jack Knight)
-Superman
-Venom
-Warlock (Adam Warlock)
« Last Edit: December 20, 2012, 12:35:40 am by burningdoom »

foxhack

Re: The Comic Book Thread
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2012, 01:14:32 am »
I used to be big on Marvel and DC, but these past few years have made me swear off all their comics.

The former with the crap treatment they give established properties, and the latter with New 52.

jcalder8

« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2012, 05:37:31 pm »
I was really into comics when I was a young teenager. I found that they cost too much and part way through the story arc if it started to suck then I was stuck buying the rest of the story. Now I just wait until they release the compilations of the stories and buy the ones that I like/are any good.

scott

« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2012, 07:15:35 pm »
I have a smallish collection of comics, but I got out of it after Marvel's Skrull invasion. I have a complete set of the New Avengers run, most of the Mighty Avengers and Wolverine: Origins (which is what got me back into comics). I basically was reading comics from Civil War through the Skrull stuff and I dug most of it. But I haven't been in a comic shop in awhile, I couldn't balance comics + games + all my other hobbies so something had to give. Comics lost.
Now Playing: Persona 5 Scramble, Animal Crossing: New Horizons, Mario Kart 8

Brush Wizard - Mini Painting Blog | The SHMUP: BYOAC Build | Art Thread

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2012, 08:12:31 pm »
I was really into comics when I was a young teenager. I found that they cost too much and part way through the story arc if it started to suck then I was stuck buying the rest of the story. Now I just wait until they release the compilations of the stories and buy the ones that I like/are any good.

Why were you stuck buying the rest?

I have a smallish collection of comics, but I got out of it after Marvel's Skrull invasion. I have a complete set of the New Avengers run, most of the Mighty Avengers and Wolverine: Origins (which is what got me back into comics). I basically was reading comics from Civil War through the Skrull stuff and I dug most of it. But I haven't been in a comic shop in awhile, I couldn't balance comics + games + all my other hobbies so something had to give. Comics lost.

That's a pretty good era to get into Marvel Comics. Some great storylines that truly had a lasting impact on the Marvel Universe.

scott

« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2012, 08:35:27 pm »
ya actually Dark Reign is what really killed it for me and after that I decided to move on. I think I have the 1st 5 issues of Dark Avengers too. I have like 5 shortboxes of comics and TPBs sitting in a closet.
Now Playing: Persona 5 Scramble, Animal Crossing: New Horizons, Mario Kart 8

Brush Wizard - Mini Painting Blog | The SHMUP: BYOAC Build | Art Thread

jcalder8

« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2012, 08:53:16 pm »
Why were you stuck buying the rest?
Because once I start collecting something I hate not having a complete set :D

sin2beta

« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2013, 11:10:34 pm »
I collect and read comics. I collect X-Men in floppies. They are the nostalgic comic for me, there is more available then I will ever be able to collect, and there is an absurd amount for cheap prices.

Then everything else I get in trades when I can. I mainly read Vertigo and Image for non indie publishers. Then Indie comics. Love and Rockets is a favorite of mine. I also love Daniel Clowes. I do pick up some mainstream in trades though. I loved Hickman's fantastic four run. I also am a sucker for any art by Mike and Laura Allred.
UPDATED 01/22/2016 New Ages of SEGA "Space Slalom" is now on....
SegaNerds.com: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t7J9ZbGNB-c

soera

« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2013, 11:20:52 pm »
I used to collect comics. Its the other half of the stuff my mom tossed when I went into the Navy. My favorites was Dr Strange and Excalibur. I had all 82 issues of the mid 70s Dr Strange series and every issue of the newer one up til the time I left as well as all the Excalibur up til the time. Ive been thinking about trying to get them back but with so many other things I have in mind to buy that the comics never get replaced. I also used to like Speedball but he didnt seem to fare well in the comic world.

turf

PRO Supporter

« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2013, 09:58:59 am »
The last comic I bought was the Death of Superman story way back when.  I just wanted to be part of the conversation.  This is about the extent of the comics I've bought in the last 20 years.  I have Issue 1, 2, and 4 of the Nintendo Comic Systems and this hardback jewel.

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2013, 06:34:36 pm »
The last comic I bought was the Death of Superman story way back when.  I just wanted to be part of the conversation.  This is about the extent of the comics I've bought in the last 20 years.  I have Issue 1, 2, and 4 of the Nintendo Comic Systems and this hardback jewel.

That is awesome! I didn't even know it existed! Now I have to have one!

Did you add that bad boy to the database here?

jcalder8

« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2013, 06:55:05 pm »

This is now on my must buy list!

pacpix

« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2013, 09:32:58 pm »
I saw this book once before I started collecting... Still mad at myself for not picking it up :(
Currently Playing: Dark Souls: Remastered (Switch)

dstone

PRO Supporter

« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2013, 12:30:05 am »
Ah, yes. Comics.

My father and uncle have been collecting since high school. So, naturally, I picked up the bug. I think it was somewhere around 1990 or 1991 when my family took on the task of sorting, organizing and bagging the collection of around 20 long boxes. In 1993 I recall traveling to the local comic shop for the first time with my father and meeting my uncle at the store to pick up the latest releases that week. I was shuffled over to the children's section where I found a whole host of colorful issues that would keep my seven-year-old self occupied for hours. Over the course of several trips I soon had several titles added to my father's pull box - most of which were based of of cartoons I loved at the time. I poured over the pages of Darkwing Duck, Back to the Future, The Batman Adventures and, of course, Sonic the Hedgehog. I had received a Sega Genesis for Christmas in 1992 and was quite eager to follow the further adventures of the Blue Blur.

We made it a regular habit to pass all the comics around so my uncle, father, sister and myself could flip through the pages. At one point we were pulling a copy of pretty much every title that came into the shop. We've had to scale back some, partly due to the increasing cost of the books and the decreasing story quality (story arcs like Trinity that DC put out in 2008 was like watching a train wreck). I purchased the wonderful ComicBase software to catalog and organize the growing collection. It was a bit of slow-going entering the older comics into the database but I was able to fly through boxes once I got into the barcode era. I think I could do a long box in a little over an hour, although many boxes would take quite a bit longer as I became distracted by old story lines and antiquated video game advertisements. Storage became an issue some time ago; I finally finished converting all of the traditional long boxes over to the DrawerBox system, allowing me full access to all the books in the collection without having to move boxes. We were up to almost 120 long boxes as of last count of the main collection; I have nine short DrawerBoxes that house my personal collection.

I've been frequenting our local comic shop for the past eight years and have built up a wonderful relationship with the owner and staff. I'll sometimes swing by after work and spend an hour or two hanging out and chatting with the owner and some of the other customers. Sometimes the Nerf guns come out and all-out war ensues. They've done an excellent job at building a store that is inviting and friendly and attempts to eliminate the stereotype of comic enthusiasts being basement-dwelling neck beards. The staff has figured out my taste in comics and make recommendations on titles I might like, whether it be a recent story arc in one of the mainstream books or an indie title that I may have overlooked. Every once in a while I'll get a call about something "interesting" that came in; that's how I managed to score an Amazing Fantasy #15 (first appearance of Spider-Man). Never thought I'd actually get to see one, never mind hold it.

One of my friends just got me into collecting original art from the books. Just like with animation cels there are a ton of fantastic, one-of-a-kind original art pieces floating around out there. I picked up page 15 from The Batman Adventures (2nd series) #15 and had it signed by the inker; just need to get it framed next to the completed page now.

jcalder8

« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2013, 02:54:01 am »
@dstone, that must be an amazing collection to see. How many comics is it?