Author Topic: a question for dreamcast fans  (Read 7452 times)

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

Re: a question for dreamcast fans
« Reply #15 on: December 31, 2012, 01:31:16 pm »
Some great Dreamcast recommendations for you:

Exclusives:
-Crazy Taxi 1 & 2 Crazy Taxi: Fare Wars (PSP)
-Daytona USA (Dreamcast version has enhanced graphics and more tracks than the Saturn version) PSN/XBLA version has enhanced enhanced graphics+extras
-Dead or Alive 2 Also on PS2
-Draconus: Cult of the Wyrm
-Elemental Gimmick Gear
-House of the Dead 2 Wii/PC
-Maken X
-Marvel vs. Capcom: Clash of the Super Heroes PS1
-Metropolis Street Racer
-The Record of Lodoss War
-Sega Smash Pack (includes Phantasy Star games) the whole point of this compilation is that it's a collection of other Sega titles
-Shenmue
-Soul Calibur XBLA
-Street Fighter III You should probably specify that you're talking about Double Impact, rather than Third Strike (AKA the SF3 everyone wants to play)
-Sword of Berzerk: Guts' Rage

Don't mean to be picky, but it's misleading to claim exclusive when you can play them elsewhere.

I'm pretty sure that there's PS2 & GC versions of Crazy Taxi, too...

there are but I'm pretty sure only the Dreamcast version has The Offspring on it's soundtrack, which makes it the version to get.

Huh - I didn't know that!

Still, that would just make it a recommended/preferred version instead of an "exclusive" game...
"Attempts must be made, even when there can be no hope.
 The alternative is despair.
 And betimes some wonder is wrought to redeem us"

redblaze57

PRO Supporter

« Reply #16 on: December 31, 2012, 02:04:09 pm »
Some great Dreamcast recommendations for you:

Exclusives:
-Crazy Taxi 1 & 2 Crazy Taxi: Fare Wars (PSP)
-Daytona USA (Dreamcast version has enhanced graphics and more tracks than the Saturn version) PSN/XBLA version has enhanced enhanced graphics+extras
-Dead or Alive 2 Also on PS2
-Draconus: Cult of the Wyrm
-Elemental Gimmick Gear
-House of the Dead 2 Wii/PC
-Maken X
-Marvel vs. Capcom: Clash of the Super Heroes PS1
-Metropolis Street Racer
-The Record of Lodoss War
-Sega Smash Pack (includes Phantasy Star games) the whole point of this compilation is that it's a collection of other Sega titles
-Shenmue
-Soul Calibur XBLA
-Street Fighter III You should probably specify that you're talking about Double Impact, rather than Third Strike (AKA the SF3 everyone wants to play)
-Sword of Berzerk: Guts' Rage

Don't mean to be picky, but it's misleading to claim exclusive when you can play them elsewhere.

I'm pretty sure that there's PS2 & GC versions of Crazy Taxi, too...

there are but I'm pretty sure only the Dreamcast version has The Offspring on it's soundtrack, which makes it the version to get.

Huh - I didn't know that!

Still, that would just make it a recommended/preferred version instead of an "exclusive" game...
I just looked at the gamecube version and it does say it has the offspring. Sorry about the misinformation. It's actually the XBLA/PSN version without the original soundtrack

also I'd like to add to exclusives
Heavy Metal Geomatrix
Typing of the Dead
Canon Spike
Blue Stinger(bad voice acting makes it)
Giga Wing 2

« Reply #17 on: December 31, 2012, 02:12:10 pm »
Typing of the Dead's also on PC, MAC and PS2. There's also a (very cool) similar DS game with handwriting recognition! - http://kimimisblog.blogspot.co.uk/2012/05/english-of-dead.html

sin2beta

« Reply #18 on: December 31, 2012, 03:02:23 pm »
Im going to be the voice on the other end. The Dreamcast ties with the N64 for the worst normal game console system in my opinion (by normal, I mean from the NES til now. Of course its better than crap like pong and stuff like the Commodore 64). The library is full of mediocre games (RPG options are a joke) and the controllers are absolutely horrendous. I hear that it has bonuses like it can read CD-Rs and totally modifyable ... but you cant really polish a turd!

I think a lot of people will have the same opinion. That is why I would suggest researching very well (if possible playing one before the OP tries it). I believe the above is a very valid opinion.

If you like RPGs, the dreamcast is not your console (although it has shenmue which I consider the best). If you like adventure games, you can do better. If you like platformers the dreamcast is not your system. If you like racing games, you've got a few great options and a LOT of mediocre games. However, the dreamcast is HEAVILY loved by people who like the late 90s arcade genre. The dreamcast has a lot of ports from the naomi architecture from that time. If you like SEGA and Capcom arcade games, the DC is a good system. Both companies seemed to believe in and love the system.

For me, I also really like that it has some decent ports from the 32-bit era with playable graphics. I personally hate the PSOne, Saturn, and N64. The Saturn has a few gems, N64 has about 10-15 games I would actually play, and the PSOne only has the SQuare RPGs that interest me. In my view, the N64, SS, and PSone were way too underpowered for 3D. I remember thinking that at the time as well. The N64 did 3D decently enough (game design was horrible). The SS did 2D well, however this was becoming a 3D era. And the PSOne, in my opinion, did neither 2D or 3D very well. The DC was refreshing in that it did 2D very well and 3d at least competently enough. Also, during this time, I played most current games in the arcades. Thus, to experience games and nostalgia from the late 90s, the dreamcast is about the only option for me.

Ultimately, it comes down to personal taste and whether that jives with the system's personality. Try it out, if possible, before buying. Don't pay more that 35-40 for the system, and you should be able to resell with no problem or loss.
UPDATED 01/22/2016 New Ages of SEGA "Space Slalom" is now on....
SegaNerds.com: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t7J9ZbGNB-c

byron

« Reply #19 on: December 31, 2012, 06:25:43 pm »

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #20 on: December 31, 2012, 06:54:54 pm »
My bad on the Crazy Taxi entries, I knew better. And yeah, I meant Double Impact on SFIII.

The other ones I didn't, though. I thought those were exclusives.

Nonetheless, I don't think that affects my point at all. The Dreamcast is still a great system with a good number of great exclusives.

And I really should have remembered the Giga Wing games.

« Reply #21 on: January 01, 2013, 02:16:52 am »
I was a nintendo fanboy for the longest time, and got a dreamcast a few years ago and forgive me but I wasnt very impressed. To me the only good games for it are 2D games with a few exceptions... Jet Grind Radio, Sonic Adventure which doesnt hold up that well. Personally, I've been a lot more impressed with the Saturn. Dont get me wrong both systems are VERY VERY similar in terms of the types of games but I prefer the Saturn

« Reply #22 on: January 01, 2013, 04:37:55 am »
Ok well saturn does look good too. Im not big into collecting newer stuff and dreamcast is pretty new for me... whats better to everyone? Dreamcast or saturn? Or maybe mega drive? Saturn seems more interesting to me
PS4-zxzpigxzx
Ebay-https://VintageWarren

sin2beta

« Reply #23 on: January 01, 2013, 05:56:37 am »
Ok well saturn does look good too. Im not big into collecting newer stuff and dreamcast is pretty new for me... whats better to everyone? Dreamcast or saturn? Or maybe mega drive? Saturn seems more interesting to me

I would pick the one that is most interesting to you.

Looking at your collection though, I would go mega drive. Where do you live? AUS, UK... Both of these have a very good selection of mega drive games. Last time I was in the UK there was a lot of mega drive stuff at various cash converters, but Saturn merch was difficult to find. Mega Drive is cheap, plentiful, and very fun. Plus, you stated that you like collecting cartridges over CDs.

My take on the Saturn is... if you don't like the dreamcast, you won't like the Saturn. Although this is not 100%, the systems are very similar.
UPDATED 01/22/2016 New Ages of SEGA "Space Slalom" is now on....
SegaNerds.com: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t7J9ZbGNB-c

« Reply #24 on: January 01, 2013, 06:07:27 am »
I would recommend Mega Drive as it's going to be relatively cheap and easy to find good games. The Saturn is personally my favourite, but as I import almost all my games my view of the console isn't the same as a lot of other peoples.

soera

« Reply #25 on: January 01, 2013, 11:19:04 am »
I wouldnt go exactly for a certain system but a style of game that a system supports. I prefer the PS1 over almost every other system cause they were a huge jrpg supporter. Any jrpg at the time that was out on almost any system made it onto the PS1 and a tons of new ones. I dont collect systems just to have. The only ones I have atm are SMS (my first system. Miracle Warriors and Golden Axe Warrior exclusives), NES (Destiny of an Emperor exclusive and origins of FF and DW) SNES (Super Metroid and Zelda Link to the past as well as Tecmo Secret of the stars exclusive) PS1 (Already mentioned!) PS2 (DQVIII exclusive and Baldur's gate/Champions of norrath line) PS3 (originally bought as a blu-ray player that also plays all the god of war games but cant wait for ni no kuni!) Gamecube (GBA player that lets me play any gameboy games on a tv) and a Wii (Virtual console that has Turbo Grafx Ys I&II among other games).

I have seen other systems but I dont get them cause I honestly have no use for them. I gave my kids an N64 cause I dont like it and a Genesis cause I cant honestly think of an exclusive game on there I like in order to keep it (All the PS games are on compiliations as is Sword of Vermillion. I cant afford to own Crusder of Centy). I traded my Dreamcast for a couple of posters.

Hope I didnt post too much in this response, just wanting to show you how I think. I also dont bother with Japanese systems cause I cant read them. :)

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

« Reply #26 on: January 01, 2013, 11:38:00 am »
If you're in the US, before you buy/start collecting for a Saturn...check-out the prices that the games for it sell for...it will *Not* be a cheap library to fill :P

« Reply #27 on: January 01, 2013, 12:42:50 pm »
If you're after RPGs then you're right (but even then games like Legend of Oasis and Shining Wisdom aren't too expensive) but on the whole the expense of the Saturn library is rather overstated - people look at Panzer Dragoon Saga and Radiant Silvergun then here someone mention Heim Waltz and decide that all games must be around the same price. It's a bit like calling the N64 expensive to collect for because the 64DD exists.

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #28 on: January 01, 2013, 01:02:54 pm »

The biggest difference between the two systems as a collector (other than graphics, of course) is the price of games. The average good Saturn game is usually gonna cost you at least $20 or more, nowadays. And some of the more sought after ones can cost you $50 or more.

Dreamcast, on the other hand, is a much cheaper system to collect for. Other than the Genesis, it's the cheapest Sega system to collect for (in the U.S. at least). There are tons of cheap good games to get for it.

However if you have the money to blow, the Saturn has a lot more exclusive experiences that still have yet to be re-released.

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

« Reply #29 on: January 01, 2013, 01:22:46 pm »
If you're after RPGs then you're right (but even then games like Legend of Oasis and Shining Wisdom aren't too expensive) but on the whole the expense of the Saturn library is rather overstated - people look at Panzer Dragoon Saga and Radiant Silvergun then here someone mention Heim Waltz and decide that all games must be around the same price. It's a bit like calling the N64 expensive to collect for because the 64DD exists.

Speaking of, Kimimi -

What are your thoughts about Magic Knight Raynearth(sp?)?