Author Topic: What Was The Last Movie/Anime You Watched?  (Read 279948 times)

Re: What Was The Last Movie/Anime You Watched?
« Reply #1575 on: February 15, 2019, 05:19:45 pm »
Yeah everyone seems to be liking Alita and even with my annoyance with her dumb eyes, I'll be seeing it next week sometime.

« Reply #1576 on: February 18, 2019, 08:16:57 am »
Time to do a little catch up here:

The LEGO Movie 2: The Second Part
Not quite as good as the first, but still very entertaining.

Pee Wee's Big Adventure
I was left thinking the same thing I always do when I watch it: "WHO GREEN LIT THIS FILM?"  Followed by "THANK YOU INSANE STUDIO EXEC"

Abducted in Plain Sight
A pretty engrossing documentary, where no one really comes out looking that great.  So outlandish it is tough to believe, and I'm not sure just how much of it I believe 100%

Tag
This was pretty fun!

The Losers
This was not.

The Mummy (2017)
What a mess this is.  It has its moments, but it is a tonally confused overstuffed mess.

ferraroso

« Reply #1577 on: February 18, 2019, 09:56:38 am »
Just watched Bird Box
Man, that was shitty!

tripredacus

« Reply #1578 on: February 18, 2019, 10:27:30 am »
Ghostbusters aka Ghostbusters (2016)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ghostbusters_(2016_film)

Movie was fine. Only two real nitpicks regarding it:
1. Special effects overlapped the letterbox area
2. No air of mystery regarding the villain. The villain is a person rather than some entity that needs to be researched or whatever.

« Reply #1579 on: February 18, 2019, 04:25:19 pm »
Murder on the Orient Express (2017)
I am just hitting it out of the park with mediocre stuff lately.

« Reply #1580 on: February 24, 2019, 06:41:23 pm »

Finally saw Alita: Battle Angel and thought it was alright.  The CG was good, the action was good, and the setting was cool.  About it really.  I didn't really care for any of the characters and felt like the writing and pacing felt abit stiff at times.  Alita's big dumb eyes were a constant weirdness that never went away, but it wasn't quite as bad as I thought it would be based on my initial impressions.  The ending kinda sucks though.  It's honestly kinda funny in how it ends as I thought it was building up to something else.

I can't say anything about it as an adaptation as I never read the manga and I watched the original anime probably 15 years ago at least, but just as a scifi film, it was good.  Makes me want to go check out the anime again to see what that was like since I don't really remember it beyond the cover.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2019, 07:40:47 pm by kamikazekeeg »

« Reply #1581 on: February 24, 2019, 11:22:15 pm »

This is the Indiana Jones movie I have watched the least (except Crystal Skull which I never have watched and never will...), and it's been probably a decade since I last watched it. The movie is just as great as I remember it being, however there are some interesting plot holes and almost cartoonish characters in it which do lower my opinion of this movie slightly, but overall it is still the classic that most people see it as. Harrison Ford is legendary as Indiana and several of the other characters add to the charm of this movie as well. There are countless iconic scenes that are still great to this day. I won't ramble on about this movie since everything that can be said about this film has been said; it's just awesome and definitely a classic movie, albeit not a perfect movie.

« Reply #1582 on: February 25, 2019, 03:38:12 am »

Found that the Battle Angel OVA was up on youtube and only an hour long, so I figure why not?!   Watching this I actually have more appreciation for the new adaptation.  It does a really good job crafting it's own experience based on the established material and there's stuff I like in both more than the other, even though I know the OVA chopped out a lot of what the manga had.  Like right off the bat, I generally find Yugo and Alita (Gally based on some weird translation decisions) more likeable in the OVA.  Their relationship is super rushed, but just generally I liked who they were more.  Didn't seem so forced.  In the new movie, their relationship is just cliche and kinda lame I feel and I never really liked either character.  Flipping that, the new movie handles Ida and Chiren way better and makes who they are and their goals much more clear and well handled.  On the other hand, because the OVA cut out the motorball stuff, it made the OVA ending much more of an ending and less goofy compared to the new movie, which is really wonky.

Rushed pacing aside I think it's a fun enough watch.  The new movie does a lot of new things right, but the snappier feel of the OVA kinda works in its favor if you don't have any knowledge of the manga, which I only know through a few bits I've read.

« Reply #1583 on: February 25, 2019, 07:33:51 am »
How to Train Your Dragon: The Hidden World
Easily the weakest of the three films.  Still not bad, but the narrative isn't nearly as strong as the other films.

tripredacus

« Reply #1584 on: February 25, 2019, 12:09:33 pm »
Halloween II (2009)
 https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Halloween_II_(2009_film)

After my VCR ate the original Halloween, I skipped the first film series and instead watched the second. First movie (2007) was better than the sequel.

« Reply #1585 on: February 26, 2019, 02:34:32 am »
Movie: Gossebumps 2

Anime: Tensei Shitara Slime Datta Ken

« Reply #1586 on: March 08, 2019, 10:06:27 am »
Star Trek: Deep Space Nine
I had watched the entire thing 2-3 times previous, but my girlfriend hadn't watched it at all.  She started while I was out of town, but I came back in right at the start of Season 4 - I watched all of S4 and S5 with about half of S6 and S7.  Still easily the best Trek series, and after it was over she readily agreed.

Russian Doll
Really good Netflix original.  Natasha Lyonne is great in it.  It's maybe a little too short.

Frontier Season 1
A fine enough period drama with Jason Momoa.  Everything is too clean for a show that takes place in the 1700s.  Feels more like a 90s syndicated series than a modern drama.  I've watched the first episode of S2 and it feels like a lot of that was addressed.  We will see how it goes. 

Flashback2012

« Reply #1587 on: March 10, 2019, 01:34:21 pm »

« Reply #1588 on: March 11, 2019, 11:18:57 pm »

Got around to watching Captain Marvel, figured I'd at least see the last one of the saga before Endgame next month and overall I liked it.  I'm not sure Brie Larson sold me on the character, she kinda felt abit one note at times, maybe that was just me, but Samuel Jackson as Fury brings more than enough character to make up for anything like that.  I'd probably consider this a mid-tier Marvel film personally, but if you are still on the Marvel train, there's not much you are gonna dislike about it.  The 90's stuff in it is fun lol

« Reply #1589 on: March 25, 2019, 05:51:39 am »

Went into The Umbrella Academy knowing very little about it, other than it was a graphic novel adaptation, actually having the wrong idea of it initially (I saw a picture for the show of kids in school uniforms and thought it was American Harry Potter lol), but overall it was a pretty solid bit of mystery and super powers, taking the comic idea of kids being raised as super heroes and going "Hey, this is probably not a healthy thing for kids to do".  Did some things I wasn't expecting and ended with a big need for more, so it did something right.  Don't know if it'll get its second season, but I hope it does.  Tempted to pick up the comic book, see what its like as I can tell just from the character designs that it was a pretty vast difference in that alone.