Author Topic: What Was The Last Movie/Anime You Watched?  (Read 317014 times)

Re: What Was The Last Movie/Anime You Watched?
« Reply #2460 on: July 23, 2024, 09:09:22 pm »
Rocketman - It gets big props for the fun and flamboyant musical sequences and Taron Edgerton's performance is killer, but aside from those two things it is still just another musical biopic.  A kind of flatly directed one at that.

Critters - It's not like poorly made or anything, but the script isn't all that good and it doesn't lean into the right aspects of its concept.  It's got its charms and does a lot with what few resources they had.

Before Sunrise - This a wonderful watch, but I can't help but feel that it's a tad overwritten - almost like a stage play.  Hawke doesn't seem 100% at home in his skin, here.  He's not bad by any stretch of the imagination, but there are moments where his youth and inexperience shine through.  Delpy is flawless, though.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2024, 09:35:54 pm by Cartagia »

« Reply #2461 on: July 26, 2024, 12:20:47 am »
Land of Bad - Felt in the mood for something kinda basic, so settled on this action thriller mostly because I saw a clip of it on TikTok once lol It's okay, kinda standard action thriller, small squad with an air force member to run communications to a drone crew go to extract an asset, things go bad, fight for survival.  The drone crew element is a little more standout, Russell Crowe is an aging Captain still doing the job.  Overall it's fine, nothing too standout, a couple cool shots they did with slow motion and drones added a little extra flare to some of the action, but definitely one of those movies you'd normally only watch back in the day because it was something you found on TV one afternoon lol

The Covenant - Picked another military movie, this one not completely different in concept to what Land of Bad was, a group of soldiers put into a bad situation and forced to fight for survival, though this is tackling a more realistic premise and being set in Afghanistan.  It's pretty good, the drama was well done, the two leads were solid, I'd recommend this one if you like these types of movies.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2024, 03:13:54 am by kamikazekeeg »

« Reply #2462 on: July 26, 2024, 08:56:22 pm »
Predators - A concept this good shouldn't be this boring, and the twist just doesn't really work.  It's not awful, but the script is poor, and the action is pretty anemic.

« Reply #2463 on: July 26, 2024, 11:39:55 pm »
Extraction - Keeping up with the survival action shooter sort of thing, figured I'd watch this one on Netflix, I had remembered a bit about it from some clip I saw somewhere and after giving it a watch, it's pretty decent.  It's basically 2 long action sequences with a break in the middle and I think it does a solid job.  Modern action shooters have become pretty good lately, focusing on hard hitting choreography (So glad we are past the days of non-stop shaky cam action from like the Bourne Identity days lol), some of the vibes here are are in line with John Wick and such, mixing in some faux "one shot" stuff, like there's a cool sequence of him driving and the camera is cutting in and out of the car and it's faked in a way to make it seem like all one shot, but it's some good fun with some decent enough drama happening with the kid and Chris Hemsworth.

Gonna check out the sequel to see if it's any good.

Extraction 2 - I was a little worried at first when I saw the Netflix image for this and it had like a train and choppers and people repelling in that they were gonna do the thing where they'd take the success of the first movie and do something much bigger, more bombastic, take it in the wrong direction, but I think it's still completely in line with the first movie.  It's abit of an escalation, more traveling, but it's still a hard hitting shooter, very brutal, it's not trying to be cheesy, or jokey, there's good drama, I think it's solid, pretty much on the same level as the first one and it brings some nice closure to things for Chris Hemsworth's character.  Overall, two decent action flicks.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2024, 06:00:55 am by kamikazekeeg »

« Reply #2464 on: July 27, 2024, 08:35:37 pm »
UHF - I'm a big fan of this era of Al, but this isn't the most efficient delivery system for his style of humor.  He just works better in bite size portions.  That said, there are lots of good bits, and it is very charming.  I just can't hate it.

Deadpool & Wolverine - I am really torn on this, as I absolutely loved the meta concept that this had going on, but the execution was pretty bad. Some cameos work, some don't, and it makes the mistake I think a lot of people were afraid of with Disney involved - everybody is a quip machine, not just Deadpool.

It's not some bold new era of the MCU, but it is a relatively sweet send-off to the FOX films.

Slums of Beverly Hills - Typical quirky indie flick from the 90s.  The cast is good, but it gets a little too weird just for the sake of being odd.

Critters 2: The Main Course - More of the same, but makes better use of its budget and has a better sense of fun.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2024, 09:31:41 pm by Cartagia »

« Reply #2465 on: July 30, 2024, 03:20:42 am »
Oppenheimer - The audio mixing in this movie is rough, such a baffling decision to have a dialogue heavy movie that is 3 hours long have a nearly constant soundtrack that at times is on the verge of burying the dialogue.  At the same time, it has some very interesting use of audio, where it cuts out almost entirely to great effect.  I think it gets abit better later on, but sometimes in the first half, it's kinda rough.

I think the movie itself is fine, well acted, well shot...It's not something I'll ever watch again though.  It's very long-winded, but I wouldn't say it drags despite that. It generally focuses on the important stuff needed with some side things that matter to Roberts character.  Cillian Murphy is great as Oppenheimer and one I didn't know was so prominent in this, Robert Downy Jr as Admiral Strauss was also great, like I've mostly only seen him as Tony Stark and Sherlock Holmes, but he does a great job here.  Some of the movies most striking moments were actually right in the middle I feel, with the actual bombs explosion and subsequent public event Oppenheimer does right after.  It might not be a film for me in particular, but well done.

« Reply #2466 on: July 31, 2024, 12:55:56 pm »
Loved Deadpool & Wolverine a lot more than I thought I would. A lot of fun surprises.

« Reply #2467 on: July 31, 2024, 05:09:47 pm »
Executioners: The Heroic Trio 2 - The action is still super cool, but it's just not as fun to watch as the first.  Just a complete tonal shift from the previous film.

Hardcore - Should have jumped straight to George C. Scott investigating the daughter's disappearance. I love Peter Boyle, but it's a bit of a stuttering start with his PI.  Scott is phenomenal here, and more of him up front would have been appreciated.  Watching him spiral into this world of depravity was terrific, I just wish he got in a little deeper a little earlier.

The Shawshank Redemption - The biggest flaw is that studio mandated coda, and even that is still amazing.

Airplane! - I don't think I'd ever actually seen this from start to finish, but I'm sure I'd seen 80-90% of the jokes before.  That's how iconic and funny it is, and it completely deserves that reputation.

The Ministry of Ungentlemanly Warfare - Structured in such a way as to undermine any and all tension.  Almost every obstacle is introduced and resolved in the same sequence.  It's still a lot of fun, and it loves killing Nazis, though.

My Girl - It aged alright.  It's a fine and sweet coming of age story, but it's too cutesy by half.  Surprisingly strong chemistry between JLC and Dan Aykroyd.

Catch Me If You Can - Far more emotional depth than I remembered. Still a ton of breezy fun, but also kind of a surprising treatise on loneliness. Leo would have chemistry with a box of sand in this film. He's so damned charming. However, it does have a few issues with pacing and structure, especially in the first act, though.

Home on the Range - I didn't expect this to be all that good, but I was unprepared for just how bad it was.  It is shockingly well animated, and has some really great use of color, but the writing is really terrible.  Feels ike someone tried to make a DreamWorks movie with Disney polish.

An American Tail - I know I've seen it, but not since I was a little kid, so I don't remember anything and have no nostalgia for it.  With that in mind, I still generally liked it.  It looks incredible, and the songs are mostly fun.  The biggest problem is Fievel, who is frustratingly naive and has and annoying cutesy kid voice while stumbling aimlessly from plotline to plotline.

Premium Rush - It's John Wick for bike messengers instead of hit men.  And yes, it is as dumb - and fun - as that sounds.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2024, 03:56:58 pm by Cartagia »

« Reply #2468 on: August 12, 2024, 08:33:25 pm »
The Fabelmans - An absolute masterwork of technical prowess, but at its heart is a pretty straightforward coming of age story. Certain shots and sequences stand out as some of the best in Spielberg's entire career, but the dissolving marriage is the least engaging domestic aspect of the story.

« Reply #2469 on: August 13, 2024, 09:39:36 pm »
Deadpool & Wolverine - Had a lot of reveals spoiled because of the stupid twitter algorithm and the movies own marketing, but was still an entertaining time, a fun send off to pre-MCU Marvel.

Alien - With Romulus coming up, thought I'd rewatch the first two movies as they are the best ones for sure and I think Romulus is set between them.  Not sure if I'll see the movie right away, but it's been awhile since I had watched either.

Still a good movie, very tension filled, I like how quiet it can be, no soundtrack, scenes go on for quite awhile like the one dude going after Jones is a very long scene. I guess since I'm so use to Xenomorphs in almost every other form of media at this point, I had kinda forgotten how little we see of the creature and how...odd it is.  Like it has its clear moments killing and such, but going up to Dallas with "Jazz Hands", how it looks at Jones and apparently just slinks off to the escape ship, where it just takes a nap, how groggy it is for some reason in there with Ripley, there's also this one sliding moment with the Xenomorph at one point that felt strange, almost dream like.  Just things that never clicked with me till now.

Still a good watch though, quality suspenseful horror.

Aliens - Still my favorite, but I always tend to lean more action horror than straight horror, kinda the same thing for video games.  Wish it had gotten a better sequel than Alien 3.  I like it enough for what it is, but I think killing off Hicks and Newt to take the story where they did was just such a misstep.

Probably all I'll watch of Alien for now, not super interested in 3 or 4 at the moment, god no to AVP and AVP 2, and I don't have any interest in seeing Prometheus and Covenant ever again.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2024, 05:03:12 am by kamikazekeeg »

« Reply #2470 on: August 17, 2024, 02:47:47 pm »
Alien: Romulus - I should be a crime for a movie that looks this incredible to have someone sign-off on that one effect. You know the one.

I was also fine with all the callbacks to previous entries in the franchise, because they were mostly innocuous and felt natural enough. Until that one. You know the one. It was so jarring and out of place that it made all subsequent callbacks feel that much worse. Especially the last one.

Otherwise, I thought this was a very solid flick, with a lot of new and cool ideas brought to the franchise, while also expanding on the world in interesting ways. The characters could have definitely fleshed out more, but David Jonsson's Andy is a huge standout. Also, there's one spectacularly fucked up sequence towards the end that I loved. So overall. Really dug it, despite those couple of big issues that did drag it down quite a bit.

The Instigators - If this were a cast of nobodies with an unknown director it'd be way more tolerable.  As it is, it is a waste of nearly all the talent involved.

Angel of Destruction - Exquisite trash.  It was made for about $213.67, and I think I saw more breasts in this than I have in like the last 50 movies I've watched combined.  The fight sequences are really solid, and the villain is actually pretty damn creepy.  Also super brutal for the budget.

Jackpot! - Waiting on the set-up to get out of the way is by far the worst part of the movie.  The prologue is fine, but then it stops dead for 10-15 minutes before the action kicks off and John Cena enters the picture.  The fight scenes are mostly pretty fun and kinetic, and a lot of the jokes land.  It looks and feels remarkably cheap, though.  Especially for a Paul Feig film.  John Cena does sing the perennial Partners in Kryme classic 'T-U-R-T-L-E Power' twice, so it's impossible for me to give it less than 3 stars.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2024, 09:39:51 pm by Cartagia »

« Reply #2471 on: August 22, 2024, 01:36:05 am »
Furiousa: A Mad Max Saga - Finally got around to watching this, I really should've gone to see it in theater lol It's pretty great.  I don't think I like it as much as Fury Road, but it's fairly on par with it I think.  Chris Hemsworth steals the show as Dementus, like this might be my favorite performance of his.  I like him as Thor for sure, but this is him letting it all out as just an absolutely diabolical villain.  He understood the assignment here most of all.  Anya Taylor Joy is great as a younger Furiosa too, really nailed the role.  Definitely got me in the mood to re-watch Fury Road.

Mad Max: Fury Road - Yeah, I think overall I like this more.  Furiosa's story in her movie is stronger than the story here I think, but Fury Road being one long, gloriously impressive action scene with just a breather inbetween, it's too damn good.  I think this is a potential "Top" movie, like Top 20 at least.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2024, 03:52:14 am by kamikazekeeg »

« Reply #2472 on: August 22, 2024, 08:18:39 pm »
Cast a Deadly Spell - A bit too self-serious and on the nose but an absolute blast.  I'm a fan of urban fantasy and wish we had more stories like this.

Elemental - It's a shame that such a clumsy metaphor is wasted on one of the most astounding looking films I've ever seen.

Rough Night - This is a ton of fun!  Paul W. Downs has a way of getting directly to my funnybone and this cast is just killer.  ScarJo even showing off why she's ScarJo.

Always - Guess Spielberg can make a mawkish supernatural romance, too.  Is there nothing the man can't do?  Holly Hunter is legitimately great here.

Memoirs of an Invisible Man - For a vanity project Chevy Chase doesn't seemed to be engaged with the material at all.  Snoozing through narration and making some pretty cool special effects less interesting.  It could have really been something with a actor who was capable of making it feel authentic. Sam Neill innocent.

Dinosaur - Justifies it's own existence by simply being an interesting technological curiosty with an occasion shot or sequence worth noting, but the story just isn't there.  Generally just derivative of much better dinosaur-centric fare.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2024, 02:05:26 pm by Cartagia »

« Reply #2473 on: August 27, 2024, 06:14:00 pm »
ANYONE ELSE EXCITED FOR

BEETLEJUICE BEETLEJUOCE

Id make a seperate thread for Beetlejuice hype but I figured this would be a fair spot for it. Dont want too many movie related threads. If mods feel it should be a main thread and not here. Please lmk.

Jenna is one of the new modern scream queens. Scream princess if you will. Everything she touches has been gold so far. Seems like tim burton did a lot of fan service and kept things pretty nostalgic. Hyper pumped for it.

With that said

Borderlands - 85/100 (completely servicable. Nice plot. I liked it. Idc if it gets me burnt at the stake here)
Fall Guy - 91/100

Dayshift - 23/100

« Reply #2474 on: August 28, 2024, 07:57:07 pm »
Napoleon - Just an absolutely gorgeous piece of filmmaking that ultimately feels shallow and superficial.

Inside Out 2 - Easily the best non-Toy Story sequel from Pixar.  Not quite as good as the first. It is a little sloppier because the metaphors aren't as clean since the emotions are more complicated this time.  It looks phenomenal as well, mixing in some interesting designs and styles throughout.

No Hard Feelings - This was super good!  Smarter than average raunchy boob-adjacent comedy.  Super likable cast and has at least one sequence that I would describe as legitimately great.  Kicking myself for not watching it sooner.

Someone to Watch Over Me - Guess I found my least favorite Ridley Scott film.  It's not god awful or anything, but it is pretty boring for a 'thriller.'  Lorraine Bracco seems like the only actor bringing the right energy.

Steel Magnolias - Feels meticulous in that way that only big screen adaptation of stages plays can.  Expertly grandiose and melodramatic, but sterile in filmmaking technique... until the handheld shot of Sally Field driving at the end.  It's suddenly become personal and intense and immersive.  You've been watching these women, mostly at an arms length, until this single perfect moment puts you right next to her.

The Hunchback of Notre Dame - An absolute catastrophy of tonal balance, but the music, animation, and Gothic sensibilities are masterful.  There's so much darkness and sexual energy that Disney would have you executed if you suggested they make it today.

White Fang - Nice little family film with a decent cast and great vistas.  It's a little disjointed,  and it's got that patented Disney sanitization, but overall a good introduction to a classic romanticized America.

Lincoln - A bit on the nose in spots, but this ensemble is unlike anything Spielberg had put together before or since.  Not a dud performance in the bunch, but the focus probably should have been a little more on the ratification and not so much about Lincoln's personal life (the bits with his son probably bring the least to the table)... I guess it wouldn't have been Lincoln then, though?
« Last Edit: September 02, 2024, 05:41:55 pm by Cartagia »