Author Topic: What Was The Last Movie/Anime You Watched?  (Read 275812 times)

Re: What Was The Last Movie/Anime You Watched?
« Reply #1545 on: January 03, 2019, 03:32:22 am »

Just finished this series and it was nice it got a complete run.  The series was enjoyable enough through a lot of it, but I think the last few seasons really sold the show for me.  It's not as well done and paced like Avatar: The Last Airbender, but it's along the same lines as that and Korra in general.  It's great to see reboots like this take an old property and make it into something actually engaging and good.  Gonna get back to the new She-Ra that I only watched a few episodes of, but have enjoyed.

« Reply #1546 on: January 03, 2019, 06:26:36 am »

Felt like watching something and with nothing else to go on right now, figured I'd bite the bullet and see what we got with The Predator.  I mostly had the movie spoiled by now, so I was mostly just in to say I watched it, since I watched the whole series to prep for this one.

Right off the bat, I didn't like the movie.  The setting instantly reminds me of AVP: Requiem, which is the worst thing they could've done for the series.  This setting sucks for a Predator movie.

The whole tone of the movie just sucks.  I don't understand who this movie is for.  Fans wanting a revival of the series much like it was with the first two movies, aren't getting that because this movie's leads are an autistic child genius, a "badass" scientist girl, and a group of soldiers with PTSD with boring action scenes.  The people who don't care about the property and just want an action scifi movie aren't getting that for the same reasons, but it also has this bad humor throughout that doesn't work, and the whole point of the movie is expanding on the "lore" that they don't care about, because no one by the end is gonna care about the upcoming "Predators vs Humans" war.  The whole plot just feels sloppy and lame.

Geez this is disappointing lol Not counting the AVP movies, this one is at the bottom for me.  Predators isn't great, but at least it feels like a Predator movie.  Even then, I'd probably put this below AVP and Requiem, purely because I was bored.  At least those movies have Xenomorphs in them and feel almost slightly more cohesive than this.  If you were waiting to watch this one too, I'd recommend to just don't.  It's not worth it.

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #1547 on: January 03, 2019, 01:02:43 pm »
^ I agree on nearly all of your points. Disjointed mess of a movie.

But the action scenes were actually cool, if you could ignore the terrible story. Lots of blood, violence, and explosions. And that scene with the forcefield coming on was unforgettable!

« Reply #1548 on: January 03, 2019, 04:45:02 pm »

But the action scenes were actually cool, if you could ignore the terrible story. Lots of blood, violence, and explosions. And that scene with the forcefield coming on was unforgettable!

There were moments in the action that worked, like the Predator waking up and tearing apart the facility, but a lot of the action scenes fell flat in general, because I had nothing to be invested in. The entire finale just felt like a big joke rather than a serious action flick.

« Reply #1549 on: January 03, 2019, 11:40:18 pm »

There were moments in the action that worked, like the Predator waking up and tearing apart the facility, but a lot of the action scenes fell flat in general, because I had nothing to be invested in. The entire finale just felt like a big joke rather than a serious action flick.
Sam thoughts here.  It was aggressively dumb ("He's got an exoskeleton under the skin!" Soooo an endoskeleton?), and the action was ok at best.  The last third really crapped the bed I thought.  A decent finale would have made me enjoy it a lot more.

After over a decade I finally sat down and watched all of this documentary series.  I'd seen probably about 1/4 to 1/3 over the years, and I always wanted to watch the whole thing.  Nature is awesome and terrifying.

« Reply #1550 on: January 08, 2019, 11:41:04 am »

I watched entirety of this series on Netflix, since the third and final season was released on Jan. 1.  It's a very fun show with some tremendous make-up work as well as set and costume design.  The show is surprisingly dark for what is essentially kids fare, which I loved.  There were low brow jokes, high brow jokes, and a ton of meta-references.  The biggest flaw however is that it becomes rather formulaic after a while - which I understand is a problem with the books as well.

« Reply #1551 on: January 10, 2019, 03:03:19 am »

Godzilla: The Planet Eater blows.  What a fucking waste of an absolutely incredible idea, just thrown out the window with the worst damn writing.  The first two movies at least had good action, there is not one redeemable moment here.  Man I'm pissed lol Aside from the nice visuals, this makes the first two movies seem like masterpieces of entertainment in comparison.  That they were building up to this is so frustrating, because there's nothing entertaining going on at all.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2019, 03:39:09 am by kamikazekeeg »

kypherion

« Reply #1552 on: January 10, 2019, 09:33:09 pm »

Rocky III was a blast! Always love watching Sylvester Stallone.
"Well, As The Philosopher Jagger Once Said, 'You Can't Always Get What You Want.'"

« Reply #1553 on: January 11, 2019, 12:15:14 pm »

Rocky III was a blast! Always love watching Sylvester Stallone.

I've only ever seen Rocky IV. I freakin love that movie!

« Reply #1554 on: January 11, 2019, 10:34:38 pm »

So, I think The Legend of Drunken Master may be the first of Jackie Chan's native language films that i have watched all the way through.  I may have seen Rumble in the Bronx back in the day, but if I did, it wasn't the whole thing - but, regarding Drunken Master not a whole lot of drunken boxing for a movie with that title.  Disappointed.

« Reply #1555 on: January 11, 2019, 10:45:45 pm »

So, I think The Legend of Drunken Master may be the first of Jackie Chan's native language films that i have watched all the way through.  I may have seen Rumble in the Bronx back in the day, but if I did, it wasn't the whole thing - but, regarding Drunken Master not a whole lot of drunken boxing for a movie with that title.  Disappointed.

Man, this movie has incredible choreography.  Maybe not the best story, but I love watching this one.  It's one of my favorites along with a few others from the 80's.

« Reply #1556 on: January 11, 2019, 10:48:12 pm »
but, regarding Drunken Master not a whole lot of drunken boxing for a movie with that title.  Disappointed.

Man, this movie has incredible choreography.  Maybe not the best story, but I love watching this one.  It's one of my favorites along with a few others from the 80's.
Yeah, the actual fighting is great, especially the drunken brawl in the middle, but for a movie called "drunken master" there are actually only two drunken fight scenes.  Seemed a bit of a missed opportunity.

gf78

« Reply #1557 on: January 14, 2019, 09:05:03 am »
I go for long stints without watching anything. Then I watch 4 or more in a row!  I just watched Ant-Man & the Wasp, Star Trek Discovery Season One, Venom, Predator and a personal favorite of mine, Big Trouble in Little China. "Son of a bitch must pay!" - Jack Burton

LMAO!!!
Currently playing:  Last of Us Part II Remastered, Cyberpunk 2077 Ultimate Edition
Currently listening to:  Iron Maiden & Ghost
Currently Watching:  Cyberpunk Edgerunners & Last of Us

« Reply #1558 on: January 17, 2019, 10:24:54 pm »

Of the newest movies, I think this is definitely the best, because it feels like it has the most importance.  It delves into a backstory we know for the Saiyans more in depth, they tweak the original Broly story to be something less bullshit, and then it's basically just like a half hour of the best fight scene they've done for DB.  It gets a smidge rushed feeling towards the end, but overall I loved it.  Only real complain I have is that there's kinda three different art styles going during the fight, like kinda messy, but fluid as hell, and then there's kinda like the high end TV show art like when Super gets a budget for a fight or the finale for Super, and then there's very obvious CG.  It's all good on its own, but the CG in particular very obviously stands out.  Other than that, loved it.

shfan

« Reply #1559 on: January 19, 2019, 07:02:47 pm »
Just finished the first series of Mrs Brown's Boys, a series Mrs SHFan and myself watch several times a week, every week, we're hooked.