Author Topic: What Was The Last Movie/Anime You Watched?  (Read 275730 times)

Re: What Was The Last Movie/Anime You Watched?
« Reply #1785 on: May 03, 2020, 07:44:52 am »
Not that the new one is perfect, I don't feel like they super justify North Korea taking over with Russia compared to the original

This actually makes sense, as the movie was actually originally produced with China as the villain country, but due to distribution deals, etc the film got delayed for reshoots and all of the flags were changed via CGI to North Korea.

Oh that's interesting, I didn't know that.  It doesn't hurt the movie that it's North Korea instead, I never even noticed the changes, it's just one of those odd little logistical issues that doesn't sit great, but once the movie gets going, there's no real reason to pay attention to it lol

Finally back to my MCU marathon and got to one of probably my top 5 favorite Marvel films with Winter Soldier.  This one is great, the action scenes are all awesome, I love the spy elements happening with the twists and turns, all the stuff with Hydra having secretly been working behind the scenes of SHIELD to rebuild and take over, it's a good time.  I also like how this one isn't really afraid to be intense with it's action, probably only kept from an R rating because they didn't have blood flying everywhere lol

Up next with Guardians of the Galaxy, another great Marvel film.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2020, 07:48:53 am by kamikazekeeg »

« Reply #1786 on: May 03, 2020, 01:37:25 pm »
Finally back to my MCU marathon and got to one of probably my top 5 favorite Marvel films with Winter Soldier.

Winter Soldier is definitely my number 1 as far as Marvel movies go. Seeing this post makes me want to rewatch it.

« Reply #1787 on: May 03, 2020, 09:50:04 pm »
Extraction is a fine enough way to kill two hours.  Hemsworth is serviceable and the choreography  is good.  Nothing amazing, but fine for action fans.

Star Wars - Despecialized Edition -  Almost felt like watching it for the first time again.  Big recommend for any long time fans.
Mystery Science Theater 3000: The Movie - What got me into MST3K in the first place.  Still side-splittingly hilarious.
Borat - First time on this one.  Some really good bits, but also some really cringe worthy ones.  Don't regret watching it, but probably never will again.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2020, 02:07:51 pm by Cartagia »

« Reply #1788 on: May 07, 2020, 03:08:14 am »

I absolutely adore Guardians of the Galaxy.  It was a big shift for the MCU I feel, where they went full comedy and would be something we'd get strewn throughout the MCU with the likes of Ant-Man, the Guardians sequel, and Thor: Ragnarok.  It still has its drama and action, but it's just downright funny and the entire cast is great.  I really don't have any complaints.  This and Winter Soldier are definitely fighting it out for the top 3 slots.

Age of Ultron is up next, one I don't remember a lot of, but know is considered pretty low on peoples MCU lists, but we do get James Spader as Ultron and I'm all about that lol

I didn't realize that Underwater was out, as I had been waiting to watch it.  I really dig deep sea movies, like Abyss, Sphere, or maybe game wise like SOMA or Bioshock, as the setting is one of those that definitely unsettles me.  I really had no expectations other than the initial trailer, and while it doesn't do anything new or fresh, it does handle everything well.  It's visually great, they waste no time getting to the big struggle of the film and its pretty steady with its pacing. 

The only one I thought stood out a little too much was T.J. Miller, who aside from some issues he's had outside of movies, comes off as abrasive as the jokester character.  It works for Deadpool, because thats what that humor is, but I think it needed someone abit more toned back for this film.  Other than that bit, I'd recommend it if you are into these types of scifi movies
« Last Edit: May 07, 2020, 05:54:56 am by kamikazekeeg »

tidus79

« Reply #1789 on: May 09, 2020, 05:28:44 am »
Last anime I watched was the film City Hunter: Private eyes.

« Reply #1790 on: May 10, 2020, 01:33:39 pm »
The Bone Collector - Meh.
To Wong Foo, Thanks for Everything, Julie Newmar - Also meh.
Romancing The Stone - Fun, but not quite what I thought it would be.
Aliens - Still a masterpiece.
John Wick - Still the best in the franchise.

« Reply #1791 on: May 10, 2020, 08:26:56 pm »

Having watched the recent Jumanji films, I felt like going back to the original film and its still a pretty good watch.  The CG is abit iffy in parts, but there is still a lot of animatronics and the adventure of it is a lot of fun, though it's a very different film compared to the new ones.  Both versions of Jumanji are good though and it's nice seeing something with Robin Williams in it again.  I don't think I've watched one of his movies in years and he's still sorely missed.

« Reply #1792 on: May 15, 2020, 11:42:40 pm »

With Robocop becoming a new fighter in Mortal Kombat 11, I realized that I don't know if I've seen the original movie more than once and certainly not in at least 20 years, not too mention that I'm positive I've never watched the 2nd and 3rd films either.  I've watched other action flicks like Alien, Predator, Terminator, all that stuff a bunch, and I've seen other Paul Verhoeven flicks like Starship Troopers and Total Recall plenty of times, but Robocop just never settled into something I regularly watched.  So I'm gonna watch the original, it's sequels, and maybe for kicks, the remake.

I love the tone Verhoeven has with his films, once again bringing up Total Recall and Starship Troopers with that dark satirical take on things like corporations, the military, media, advertising, it has you laughing at the ridiculous characters, while also gawking at the crazy violence happening.  Robocop has such a great style to him, like parts of it almost seem a a tiny bit cheesy with the helmet, but it is such a classic look and Peter Weller is great as Alex Murphy/Robocop.  The setting is great too, I always love the near future dystopian stuff they were doing back then.  Also, ED-209 roaring like a lion and squealing like a pig while being a stop motion creature when moving? It's goofy, but it just works with how ridiculous the movie is.

Definitely dig this movie, the story is over the top, the characters are good, the action is great, it's just a classic bit of 80's action cinema.  Now to see where the sequels go...

While it's not as good as the first one, I think Robocop 2 is okay.  It's kinda jumpy in its plot elements and it drags at points.  Like the first act deals with some of his human connections, which is then dropped, then he gets turned more robot for a time, and then he's just back to regular Robocop by the end, and it doesn't feel like he went through any growth like he did in the first movie.  I'm also not a huge fan of the "Robocop 2" design for the bad guy, it's the weird proportions and how it connects along with the bland head design, like I understand they wanted something more mobile than a ED-209, but as far as robots go, it's design is pretty low on the list for me.  Especially with that awful CG face he gets to show off at a few moments lol

The movie ends in a weird place too, like it's basically a cliffhanger, so I'll get to Robocop 3 soon, but where the first movie ends at a reasonable point with Murphy stating his name kind of triumphantly, here it just ends with a quip from him, and then done, like I thought there was gonna be more movie lol  Again, not a bad movie, there's some solid enough action scenes for the time and the stop motion battle versus Murphy and Kane towards the end is fun to me.  Not as good as the first, but very watchable.

Well this was disappointing.  While Robocop 2 wasn't as good as the first, it still very much felt like it, but Robocop 3 is just a more sanitized version of it.  Sure, people curse and get shot, but it's all very base level stuff.  Murphy talks more and isn't played by Peter Weller, there's some kid hacker there simply as a macguffin, and the whole movie is just boring.  It has none of the edge the first two did and the big threat against Robocop that they build up is killed easily and instantly.  There aren't any good action scenes either, which is probably its greatest issue, which comes as no surprise with it being a PG-13 film.  So dumb.

I don't think it's specifically a bad movie, there's nothing functionally wrong with it, but I'd personally say to avoid this one, it doesn't offer much.

Much like with the Red Dawn remake, I wasn't sure what kind of remake I was gonna get, and in the case of Red Dawn, I thought it mostly nailed what the original movie was, just in a more straightforward action film style.  Robocop 2014 on the other hand is vaguely similar to its origins, but vastly different in scope and premise.  Both are certainly products of their time, but I feel like Robocop 2014 misses a lot of what people liked with the original.  Even his look isn't right as they change from Silver/Black at the start to an all black look for the rest of the film and he just loses his iconic style because of it, even if they give it back to him at the end of film.  They dropped all the humor and ridiculous action, not too mention they are continuing with it being PG-13 like Robocop 3 (apparently it was for budget reasons to try and make more money back after going over budget).

In general, the movie is just alright.  Nothing is bad with it, on its own, I think it's a pretty fine scifi action flick, Michael Keaton and Gary Oldman are good and visually it looks good, but there is not a lot here that really nails what was fun about the original.  I like it more than Robocop 3, but it really doesn't hold a candle to the original.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2020, 04:15:06 am by kamikazekeeg »

« Reply #1793 on: May 18, 2020, 06:18:16 pm »
You are far kinder to Robocop 3 than I am.  Even as a kid I thought it was awful. ???

Lady Bloodfight -Pretty bad.
Skin Trade - Serviceable.  Tony Jaa's fight scenes were good.
Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure - Excellent.
Cut Bank - Starts promising, but gets duller by the minute.  Hated the ending and Liam Hemsworth is no Chris.

« Reply #1794 on: May 18, 2020, 06:37:15 pm »
You are far kinder to Robocop 3 than I am.  Even as a kid I thought it was awful. ???

lol There just wasn't anything that specifically made me hate it other than the ninja robots being entirely pointless.  It's just a boring film.  It's still functionally enough a Robocop film, but a more family friendly take on it, which no one wants.  Much the same problem the remake had, but it at least had better action in it.

« Reply #1795 on: May 20, 2020, 09:16:52 am »
Ip Man 2 - I was never completely in love with the first movie, but I liked it.  This one isn't nearly as good.

Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt: Kimmy vs. the Reverend - It was fun, but I think the show ended in a good place, so while I liked spending time with this characters again it felt a bit superfluous.

Return to Oz - Great creature design (except Scarecrow), but unfortunately takes too long to get going, and even then just kind of moseys along to the end.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2020, 11:55:12 pm by Cartagia »

« Reply #1796 on: May 23, 2020, 01:53:03 am »
Anime Currently watching (gonna try and keep these short otherwise i might write essays XD ):

Fruits Basket - In the middle of the second season atm (the new version obvs). If anyone enjoys slice of life romance dramas, with some interesting and fantastical elements (people turning into animals of the zodiac) with plot twists and mysteries, it's a defo watch. The humour in it is brilliant too, but mostly you watch it for the character development and romance  <3
Highly recommended!

Darwin's Game - Oh dear Jesus the writing in this is pure trash XD
Death game anime, op protag that shifts between being a full on pussy or being the most macho bro ever. It has some interesting elements, each character is gifted with an ability when they join 'Darwin's Game', and the powers and usage are interesting to see. Other than that i'm only 4 episodes in, with tonnes of questions that i don't think will ever be answered. Inconsistencies in the script left, right and center. If you like cool action scenes, then give it a whirl, if you like depth in your writing that goes a little deeper than a puddle, go elsewhere.

Wacky TV Nanana series 3 - Around 5 mins an episode. It's about banana people trying to film things for a failing tv station. Off the wall humour, very frantic, still a fun watch between other things.

Extra Olympia Kyklos - Another 5 min an episode type 'anime'. Combination of claymation, and 2D animation, with some live action parts thrown in. Comparable to Japanese 'Manzai' humour. Slapstick and pretty trippy. Again, if you have 5 mins to spare give the first episode a go. If you don't like it after the first episode, you aren't going to like the rest.

« Reply #1797 on: May 24, 2020, 12:17:51 pm »
Ip Man 3 was way better than the second one.  I think I actually prefer it to the original, even though it is probably a better movie on a technical / holistic level, but does it have Mike Tyson speaking Chinese?  I don't think so!
Treasure Planet - Fun, but not great late era Disney.
Oliver & Company - Forgettable 80s Disney.
The Lovebirds - Fun romp.  Not as good as similar fare, like Game Night, but I love Kumail and Issa.
Wet Hot American Summer - One of the best comedies of the century.
My Neighbor Tortoro - Good, but a bit light on plot
Crazy Rich Asians - One of the better romcons of recent years.
Attack the Block - Really great debut for John Boyega and the director, Joe Cornish.
Police Story - Classic Jackie Chan.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2020, 12:05:44 pm by Cartagia »

« Reply #1798 on: June 02, 2020, 04:59:59 am »
Rewatched all the X-Men movies with the boy over the last week or so, the earlier ones have not aged that well and they really are a little poor overall. Logan is easily the pick of the bunch.

« Reply #1799 on: June 02, 2020, 01:11:19 pm »

Kinda randomly wanted to watch The Vast of Night after hearing a review about it and I gotta say that I liked it.  It's not the usual type of alien movie you see these days, as it's a very small scale movie set in the 1950's and sorta feels like a movie from back then, while also almost being sort of something you'd hear on the radio at the time, just without narration, while also having abit of a Twilight Zone tone to its setup. 

It's not an "exciting" movie, there's tons of long takes and lots of just dialogue listening to people talk or tell stories and that's kinda where all the tension and suspense comes as the two leads start to realize there is something going in their little town.  Good camerawork too and it's impressive how well the actors do with these long takes that can last for upwards of 3 to 5 minutes.  It's a cost saving measure from what I heard, keeping from doing too many takes and having to setup new scenes, but it also works out to really draw you into every scene and story as there are so few cuts, so you just get engrossed.

My only complaint would be that they go between normal movie shots, the old 50's tv screen viewing, and then between these are cuts to black with the dialogue still going and I kinda hate the cuts to black, they are jarring and they last for too long.  Otherwise I'd say it's a solid film and I'd recommend it if you don't mind films that are mostly just a ton of dialogue and talking in a very stripped down setting as the only big scene they have is a very short time spent at a basketball game in the movie.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2020, 05:02:44 pm by kamikazekeeg »