Author Topic: What Was The Last Movie/Anime You Watched?  (Read 278955 times)

Re: What Was The Last Movie/Anime You Watched?
« Reply #1830 on: August 28, 2020, 03:50:17 pm »
Rewatched a few things over the last week or so:

Dredd
The Prestige
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles
(1990)

pzeke

« Reply #1831 on: August 29, 2020, 11:28:30 pm »
I finally saw Rampage from the beginning and, in all honesty, it wasn't that bad; I originally had only seen the final act where George fights off Ralph and Lizzie, which is undoubtedly the best part of the movie. I took a look at the Wikipedia page while watching the movie and read that some speculate this movie being the prequel to The Walking Dead TV series due to how similar Jeffrey Dean Morgan's character is to Negan. I mean, sure, I see it, but I think that's the same as taking a piece of gum and stretching it past your noggin.

Dredd
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles
(1990)

Top-notch. Haven't seen "The Prestige" yet, though.

I know your every move behind this face; I have control over expendable slaves.
When confrontation comes down to the wire, I'll use my cyclotrode to commence the fire.
You're never gonna get me!

« Reply #1832 on: August 30, 2020, 08:37:30 am »
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (1990)

Top-notch.

I've been on TMNT kick since we started talking about the NECA figures in the Toy thread.  I also bought an omnibus of the first 7 issues that I'm really looking forward to.

pzeke

« Reply #1833 on: August 30, 2020, 12:43:57 pm »
Yeah, the original Mirage series are awesome; they're quintessential, I'd venture to say. The first movie took many queues from the Mirage comics and mixed them well with the lightheartedness of the 80s cartoon, which I think is why the movie was and remains to be so successful and revered to this day.

I know your every move behind this face; I have control over expendable slaves.
When confrontation comes down to the wire, I'll use my cyclotrode to commence the fire.
You're never gonna get me!

« Reply #1834 on: September 04, 2020, 08:13:02 pm »
JoJo Rabbit was not quite as good as I'd hoped.  The performances are incredible, and the message important, but something about it never really clicked with me.

« Reply #1835 on: September 08, 2020, 10:04:38 am »
Finally sat down and watched Top Gun from beginning to end.  Pretty sure I'd seen the entirety of the movie before, just never in one sitting.  It's incredibly schmaltzy, but somehow makes it work.  Leans on the same musical cues a little too hard though - except Danger Zone, which they didn't use enough.

« Reply #1836 on: September 15, 2020, 05:41:32 am »

Came across #ALIVE on Netflix, I don't usually pick up random films unless I know something about them, but I figured that since South Korean zombie media is doing pretty reasonable lately with the Kingdom series and Train to Busan (Heard Peninsula, the sequel to Busan wasn't too hot), I'd give this a go and I'm glad I did, it's a solid movie.  It's one of those single location zombie situations, an apartment complex where a young guy is trying to survive.  I really dig the zombies in this, I don't know if they are based off Train to Busan or something else in particular, as that had similar zombies, but it's like the virus is so intense, it contorts the muscles and causes the bones to crack and they move in a kinda painful and awkward way because beyond just shambling around.  It really comes across as a South Korean zombie trademark now and it makes them standout compared to say something like The Walking Dead.

I don't really have any serious complaints with the film, it does everything mostly well, there's a few clunky bits and kinda...I guess you'd say contrived bits here and there, but it's a very watchable piece of zombie media if you are into that.

« Reply #1837 on: September 18, 2020, 04:50:04 pm »
The last movie I've watched was War of the Worlds with Tom Cruise

« Reply #1838 on: September 20, 2020, 03:29:35 am »
Just got done watching Dragon's Dogma on Netflix and I think it's alright.  The 3D animation and visuals is actually pretty good, though some of the monsters look a little bland other than the Hydra which I thought was pretty great.  I think the show is maybe a tad short, they did 7 episodes, all around the 7 deadly sins, and that's not a bad idea, plus usually Netflix has had a problem of shows being too long, but I think they could've used another episode or two to fill things out for a few characters.  I guess it's probably better to be too short, than being to long and drag on, but it's a solid enough show.

« Reply #1839 on: September 20, 2020, 08:17:24 am »
Escape from New York is an efficient dirty little firecracker of a movie.  It's not perfect, but it is watchable as hell.

Class Action Park was a trip.  I don't think it brought a lot new information to the table so much as it was just making people aware of this incredibly dangerous place that existed - and went to voluntarily in droves.

Ford v Ferrari was a perfect dad-fernoon flick.  Damon really surprised me with how nuanced he is here.  Just a solid crowd-pleaser.

Bad Boys For Life is somehow maybe the best in the series?

Ponyo is fun.  A little boring in the beginning, though.

The Other Guys is a lot of really great moment tenuously tied together by a semblance of a plot.

Inside Man was better than I remembered.  Much more style than Spike Lee usually is.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2020, 10:29:14 am by Cartagia »

« Reply #1840 on: October 04, 2020, 10:14:18 pm »
Finally October, which means it's time to watch a horror film a day.  Here's the list so far:

Leprechaun
Leprechaun Returns
We Summon the Darkness
The Autopsy of Jane Doe
Invasion of the Body Snatchers
(1978)
Color Out of Space
Summer of 84
Night of the Demons
The Blob
(1988)
Mayhem
The Lodge
Child's Play
(2019)
One Cut of the Dead
The Endless
Annabelle
Basket Case
Sleepy Hollow
Before I Wake
Maniac Cop
Annabelle: Creation
Urban Legend
Wishmaster
Wishmaster 2: Evil Never Dies
Girl on the Third Floor
Annabelle Comes Home
Sweetheart
From Beyond
ParaNorman
Evil Dead II: Dead by Dawn
The Gingerdead Man
Alien
« Last Edit: November 01, 2020, 05:15:08 am by Cartagia »

« Reply #1841 on: October 11, 2020, 12:23:09 pm »
Zombieland: Double Tap - good fun sequel, can't belive it was ten years between the two! 4/5

« Reply #1842 on: November 07, 2020, 03:40:17 pm »
Aside from my annual Halloween watch - detailed two posts ago - I also snuck in a couple of other titles: Beetlejuice and Maximum Overdrive.  One is just fantastic, and the other is disaster, but still a blast to watch.

I also did a complete rewatch of the entire Bourne trilogy, alongside The Bourne Legacy, which I had never seen before.  I couldn't find Jason Bourne easily watchable anywhere, but I just watched it a year or so ago, anyway.  The whole thing holds up ok, with the first one being kinda dated in a few aspects, but it was still a good fun watch, and I found myself surprised at how much I like Legacy.  It's probably too long by about 10 minutes (it's the longest Bourne film by about 15 minutes or so), but I was really engaged with seeing another side of the whole story.  Ultimatum is still the best, while I think Supremacy gets kind of unfairly forgotten.  It's more well made than Identity, but the story is not quite as good.

My Damon kick led me to a rewatch of The Martian, which may actually be one of my favorite movies of the last decade.  It's just so eminently watchable.

And today I watched Borat Subsequent Moviefilm, which I think may actually be superior to the original, mostly for the fact that it has much more of a plot this time around, when the last one didn't really have any pretense other than it was just trying to get Borat into as many weird scenarios as possible.

Dazed and Confused for the first time in 10-15 years.  It's a movie I have always liked, but this was the first time it really clicked with me what Linklater was trying to do.  It's just such a perfect "hangout" movie.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2020, 08:05:02 am by Cartagia »

« Reply #1843 on: November 26, 2020, 08:17:30 pm »

Haven't been watching much movie stuff lately, but I recently picked up the Harry Potter series on blu-ray for a pretty cheap price and figured it would be good movie for Thanksgiving.  I haven't seen any of these films since I first watched them, so for the first film, The Sorceror's Stone, I haven't seen this movie in almost 20 years.  Gotta say, holds up pretty well.  They were such a different tone from what the movies would become, more light-hearted, but that makes sense for as they grow older and the story becomes darker.  I had a good time with the movie, all the effects short of maybe a part here and there look great, and I'm looking forward to a general marathon of these over December.

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #1844 on: November 28, 2020, 03:31:05 pm »

Man, I REALLY liked this. This movie spoke to me as both a superhero and horror fan. It blended those two genres splendidly! Very unique take on comic book movies.
It was creepy, atmospheric, and had some really cool looking special effects and big action-scenes. The actors did a superb job in their roles as well.   

I think the setting swayed me a bit, too, because it reminded me a lot of A Nightmare on Elm Street 3: The Dream Warriors. The mental institution setting, the disturbed teens, the group sharing sessions, the shared horror experiences; very reminiscent.

Now I don't know how well it lines up with the comics, as I was never a reader of New Mutants back in the day. But as someone who didn't read them, I enjoyed it a lot. One thing I do know from the comics is Dr. Reyes, though. She was a member of the X-Men for a short time in the 90s. They did betray her character, don't want to say why without revealed a big part of the story. Nothing that breaks the movie, since she was never a huge character to begin with, though.

Do yourself a favor and check it out. I just Redboxed it, so it can be watched for cheap. I plan adding this one to my collection, at some point.