Author Topic: What Was The Last Movie/Anime You Watched?  (Read 280375 times)

soera

Re: What Was The Last Movie/Anime You Watched?
« Reply #315 on: December 10, 2013, 08:39:54 am »
Watched the Purge last night. I really enjoyed it. Was a psycho thriller and very well done. Weirdest concept I have seen for a movie in years too.

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #316 on: December 10, 2013, 12:59:18 pm »

I watched Light Years (a.k.a Gandahar) last night. Very cool 80s "adult" animated movie in the same vein as Heavy Metal or Starchaser. This one was done by Isaac Asimov (yeah, the famous one), and stars Glenn Close as a voice-actor.

Some stiff animation, and maybe a little flat on the voice-acting. But if you can look past that, it's a VERY cool sci-fi story with some very imaginative animation. Also, there are a lot of blue titties everywere, so once you get past that shallow surface, you'll find a deeper a story, I promise.

A society that has lived in peace and paradise is suddenly invaded by "men of metal". They systematically and without a sign of emotion or remorse begin killing people.

A race that has long forgotten war sends out one warrior to find out why, and where these men of metal are coming from; his name is Silvain.

What he finds is strange a race of deformed people that have been outcast by his society, the very same society that experimented on them and made them this way; and as a result also have strange precognitive powers. They give him a riddle: "
"A thousand years ago, Gandahar will be saved, and what can't be avoided will be." ."

They then take him to meet the supposed leader of men of metal, who also turn out to be an outcast of his societies scientific experiments in the past. A very strange being known as "Metamorphis."

And finds a portal. I don't want to give away too much here, because it's one of those movies where everything clicks into place at the end.

Very cool movie. I recommend anyone that's into that "adult" 80s animation style, to definetly check this one out.

« Last Edit: December 10, 2013, 01:16:16 pm by burningdoom »

soera

« Reply #317 on: December 10, 2013, 01:16:52 pm »
Why, oh why, did you post those pics? That looks just so crazy that Im going to have to try to find it!

90snostalga

« Reply #318 on: December 10, 2013, 01:36:11 pm »
Watched the Purge last night. I really enjoyed it. Was a psycho thriller and very well done. Weirdest concept I have seen for a movie in years too.

Thanks for the feedback on the Purge.  I have been debating to get the blu ray for a while now but Havent seen any reviews on here.  This gives me the confidence  8)

soera

« Reply #319 on: December 11, 2013, 07:51:43 am »
Wife is an obsessed Vin Diesel fan so we just bought Fast and furious 6. I actually liked it. It makes me want to go back and watch the rest of them again.

scott

« Reply #320 on: December 11, 2013, 08:38:18 am »
Wife is an obsessed Vin Diesel fan so we just bought Fast and furious 6. I actually liked it. It makes me want to go back and watch the rest of them again.

I need to pick up 6. I really enjoy them, I'm not sure how good they will be without Paul Walker though. We went and saw 6 in the theater, but I think 5 is my favorite one to date.
Now Playing: Persona 5 Scramble, Animal Crossing: New Horizons, Mario Kart 8

Brush Wizard - Mini Painting Blog | The SHMUP: BYOAC Build | Art Thread

soera

« Reply #321 on: December 11, 2013, 09:02:39 am »
Im wondering if he finished filming his part for 7 before the crash.

scott

« Reply #322 on: December 11, 2013, 10:36:29 am »
I heard they were about halfway through filming and they've put production into hiatus until Universal can talk to his family about their feelings with moving filming forward/ rewriting the script.

brunauss

« Reply #323 on: December 14, 2013, 12:35:51 pm »

I watched Light Years (a.k.a Gandahar) last night. Very cool 80s "adult" animated movie in the same vein as Heavy Metal or Starchaser. This one was done by Isaac Asimov (yeah, the famous one), and stars Glenn Close as a voice-actor.

Some stiff animation, and maybe a little flat on the voice-acting. But if you can look past that, it's a VERY cool sci-fi story with some very imaginative animation. Also, there are a lot of blue titties everywere, so once you get past that shallow surface, you'll find a deeper a story, I promise.

A society that has lived in peace and paradise is suddenly invaded by "men of metal". They systematically and without a sign of emotion or remorse begin killing people.

A race that has long forgotten war sends out one warrior to find out why, and where these men of metal are coming from; his name is Silvain.

What he finds is strange a race of deformed people that have been outcast by his society, the very same society that experimented on them and made them this way; and as a result also have strange precognitive powers. They give him a riddle: "
"A thousand years ago, Gandahar will be saved, and what can't be avoided will be." ."

They then take him to meet the supposed leader of men of metal, who also turn out to be an outcast of his societies scientific experiments in the past. A very strange being known as "Metamorphis."

And finds a portal. I don't want to give away too much here, because it's one of those movies where everything clicks into place at the end.

Very cool movie. I recommend anyone that's into that "adult" 80s animation style, to definetly check this one out.

I have seen all three of these movies and as a result labeled weird because I love them. Heavy Metal even had a sequel and its story itself ended up a trilogy by concluding with the tamer video game Heavy Metal F.A.K.K. 2 by Human Head Studios.
SWFL Werewolf Gamer

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #324 on: December 14, 2013, 03:13:12 pm »
^ Nothing weird about it at all. Those style of movies are fantastic! I wish they would have made more. I think they're much better than Japanese anime, to be honest, because I don't like how everything is made to be cute and cheeky in anime. But there's only handful of them I know of (that is unless you can point me to some other good ones):

-Fire and Ice (honestly, I was a little disappointed in this one, though)
-Heavy Metal
-Heavy Metal 2000
-Light Years (Gandahar)
-Starchaser: The Legend of Orin

And then there's Titan A.E., which isn't quite the same but obviously had some influences.

azure

« Reply #325 on: December 15, 2013, 07:26:00 pm »
Been watching Bunny Drop on episode 7, watched the Alien trilogy the other day (Great trilogy even with the hate on 3), and watching Summer Wars tonight from Toonami's month of movies.

MJMaranan

PRO Supporter

« Reply #326 on: December 15, 2013, 08:37:31 pm »
Last anime I watched but did not get the chance to start was Summer Wars on Toonami.  Pretty decent even though the movie was midway.

Recently watched League Of Extraordinary Gentlemen again.

Please check out the games I have for sale.

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #327 on: December 15, 2013, 10:25:26 pm »
Recently watched League Of Extraordinary Gentlemen again.[/font]

I love that movie! I think it's one of the best comic book movies out there. So underrated.

blipcs76

« Reply #328 on: December 16, 2013, 10:00:20 am »
^ Nothing weird about it at all. Those style of movies are fantastic! I wish they would have made more. I think they're much better than Japanese anime, to be honest, because I don't like how everything is made to be cute and cheeky in anime. But there's only handful of them I know of (that is unless you can point me to some other good ones):

-Fire and Ice (honestly, I was a little disappointed in this one, though)
-Heavy Metal
-Heavy Metal 2000
-Light Years (Gandahar)
-Starchaser: The Legend of Orin

And then there's Titan A.E., which isn't quite the same but obviously had some influences.

Not all anime is like that -- some is much more realistic and mature.  Maybe give some shows like Hellsing, Berserk, Gantz, Black Lagoon, Cowboy Bebop or any movie by Yoshiaki Kawajiri a shot.

scott

« Reply #329 on: December 16, 2013, 05:48:14 pm »
We watched Rock of Ages last night. I guess I didn't realize that it was a musical and at first we were both like "this is a strange movie", but afterwards we were both "That was really good". Great soundtrack in that movie too, I may need to rewatch it soon so I can pick out more references to that era of music.