Author Topic: What Was The Last Movie/Anime You Watched?  (Read 280148 times)

Re: What Was The Last Movie/Anime You Watched?
« Reply #495 on: May 19, 2014, 05:11:25 am »
Starting to watch the remastered, re-edited, re-whatever, new Evangelion movies.  Got through the first one and I kinda wonder what their initial goal was supposed to be.  From what I understand, it was sorta to be like a new version of the original series so that the less hardcore folks can get into it, but with this first movie, it feels more like they just redrew exact scenes from the series, but didn't fill the gaps properly, so its kinda feels really disjointed and rushed.

I see where I believe they added in more story stuff to try and have it feel like there is more cohesion, with the whole purpose of SEELE and what they are trying to accomplish, but it's almost like they should've did more new stuff to make it flow better.  I hear it is supposed to change more as it goes and then will have a different ending from whatever the hell happened in the series, but overall it's alright.  I still find the EVA's to be pretty cool.  Also, Shinji, while completely unlikable, is slightly more tolerable with this voice actor.  I can still hear the screams of the English dub @-@

Also I say this as someone that did not like Neon Genesis lol Aside from the battles and the EVA's, I thought the story was bat shit insane and completely incomprehensible once it gets about halfway through with almost no likable characters to get invested in, so it all kinda just leads up to some really unwatchable story stuff towards the end that just completely made me not really enjoy it.  True it has been a lot of years since I originally watched it, but I still remember most of it as I'm going through this new movie now, so it's still very much there.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2014, 05:18:19 am by kamikazekeeg »

jobocan

« Reply #496 on: May 19, 2014, 10:46:00 am »
Just saw Godzilla in theater and it was super awesome.  They did the big Zilla pretty well.

I also just saw it. I really enjoyed it, but I thought they overdid it on the teasing and the "here's the beginning of a fight scene that you won't get to see".
... But when we finally get to the big battles... oh man. Makes the genericness of the rest of the story completely worth it (I feel the story should've been more about Serizawa than the generic military dude with no personality).

The sequel was already announced, and I'm hyped for that. Now that they basically spent a whole movie building up the character, we can get a whole movie that's more about the actual monster fights. I kinda assume the sequel will feature a classic monster alongside Godzilla, and probably another new one.

scott

« Reply #497 on: May 19, 2014, 11:07:27 am »
Watch Prometheus a few nights ago. I really liked it, the GF didn't like a few parts of it. There seemed to be a bit hard to follow in some sections, but overall I'd watch a sequel if it ever comes out. I'd like to see more universe tie ins to Alien.

Makes me wanna bust out Aliens: Infestation.
Now Playing: Persona 5 Scramble, Animal Crossing: New Horizons, Mario Kart 8

Brush Wizard - Mini Painting Blog | The SHMUP: BYOAC Build | Art Thread

« Reply #498 on: May 19, 2014, 02:52:57 pm »
Just saw Godzilla in theater and it was super awesome.  They did the big Zilla pretty well.

I also just saw it. I really enjoyed it, but I thought they overdid it on the teasing and the "here's the beginning of a fight scene that you won't get to see".
... But when we finally get to the big battles... oh man. Makes the genericness of the rest of the story completely worth it (I feel the story should've been more about Serizawa than the generic military dude with no personality).

The sequel was already announced, and I'm hyped for that. Now that they basically spent a whole movie building up the character, we can get a whole movie that's more about the actual monster fights. I kinda assume the sequel will feature a classic monster alongside Godzilla, and probably another new one.

I was almost fine with the teasing if they had just made them short battles instead of cutting away.  I'm fine with them building up to the proper fight, they just did it in the wrong way I think.  I do agree that it should've been more about the scientists rather than the military, though I understand that having the EOD soldier allowed us to be more involved with the military actions that come up at the middle and towards the end.  Minor issues for me really as I thought that it was still a super fun movie.  I'm so glad its getting a sequel too, this is the type of movie that NEEDS its sequel to give Godzilla the proper spotlight now that he's revealed and we know what he is.

jobocan

« Reply #499 on: May 19, 2014, 10:19:26 pm »
I was almost fine with the teasing if they had just made them short battles instead of cutting away.

Yeah, seeing Godzilla beating up the Muto for a few seconds on a tiny TV screen just wasn't enough. But the final battle scenes... totally worth it. When we saw his spines glowing... oh man!

I hope the blu-ray has a director's cut or something which shows the battles and monster destruction more.

dashv

PRO Supporter

« Reply #500 on: May 20, 2014, 01:30:45 am »
Let the boy (11) watch Batman Begins for the first time this weekend.

He knew about batman from the Lego Batman series. But this was his first introduction to the awesome origin story from the Christopher Nolan film.

Blew his mind.

Just finished watching GI Joe: Retaliation with my wife... I want those 2 hours of my life back.

« Reply #501 on: May 20, 2014, 04:12:55 am »
Just finished watching GI Joe: Retaliation with my wife... I want those 2 hours of my life back.

That movie could be basically summed up as "Why isn't there more Snake Eyes in this?" lol As a longtime Snake Eyes fan, anything with him was gold. I know he's a mute, but man he should have his own movie.  Anything to see Ray Park kick more ass.

*EDIT*
Now the second new Evangelion movie was alot better, I think alot of this was newer stuff for sure, so it seemed a lot more cohesive for its own story, though it still hit that point where I just don't have a clue what is going on lol The characters get more likable, there's more good action, I just love the EVA's fighting.  That scene with all three running at the angel to keep it from crashing down was awesome.  Overall, this series has taken a step forward for me, the new direction, while still weird, feels better so far.

I sorta see it like Hellsing Ultimate.  The original series was okay, but the newer one took it to epic new levels and became something far more awesome. I'm hoping that with these new movies it can be the same for Evangelion.

*DOUBLE EDIT*
The third movie is entirely new stuff and still I'm completely lost with this story like before lol It's more engaging and interesting to me this time, but this is just a crazy freaking story.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2014, 02:35:22 am by kamikazekeeg »

« Reply #502 on: May 23, 2014, 01:21:24 am »
New X-Men movie was good and I'd recommend it if you liked the last X-Men flicks.

dashv

PRO Supporter

« Reply #503 on: May 23, 2014, 02:17:57 am »
New X-Men movie was good and I'd recommend it if you liked the last X-Men flicks.

Thanks for that! Thinking of seeing it with my wife and son.

foxhack

« Reply #504 on: May 25, 2014, 11:29:53 am »
Yesterday I saw Amazing Spider-Man 1 (downloaded 'cause I couldn't find it on the Redbox booth) and saw 2 at the theater before it got yanked.

I had a lot of problems with 1, but 2 was allright.

« Reply #505 on: May 27, 2014, 01:37:29 pm »
Wait, aren't there anime movies? this thread confuzzles me.

« Reply #506 on: May 29, 2014, 04:47:25 am »
Just watched Space Battleship Yamato, the live action adaptation of an old anime and it was  better than I thought it would be. I actually got the name wrong looking for that Captain Harlock CGI movie, but this was surprisingly entertaining.  At times the CGI could get a bit cheesy, not quite as good as say the last Battlestar Galactica series, but it has a real good feel to it.  It seems like the difference between this and some cheesy b-movie CGI, is that this has ambition to it.  Even if it isn't perfect, they sell it.  Some moments are pretty badass looking.

The dub isn't bad either.  I didn't have the original audio to compare, but I thought it worked.  Scott McNeil of DBZ is one of the voice actors in this, at least I'm positive it is him, there's no english voice actor credit on IMDB, but I'm sure I recognize his voice.

I'd recommend it if you want a reasonable scifi flick.  I can't compare it to its source material, but I liked the movie.

htimreimer

« Reply #507 on: May 31, 2014, 07:47:13 am »
i have seen maleficent and i have to say you guys/girls have to see this thing, i could nitpick this movie but this movie is so ludicrous that there is no point to doing so.

the 1st and 3rd act of this film is a medieval fantasy r#pe revenge movie made by disney of all film studios and it also has sharlto copley as sleazy crazy king stefan.

2nd act is this light hearted redemption story for maleficent that also try's to some remake/reimagine the original sleeping beauty story but dose this in only an hour and it kind of a mess,

overall this is a movie you have to see to believe, its the most insane i have seen all year and i like this movie because its out of its mind also angelina is awesome in this movie
« Last Edit: May 31, 2014, 06:28:50 pm by htimreimer »

« Reply #508 on: June 01, 2014, 05:21:56 am »
Watched Journey to the West: Conquering the Demons, but sadly it was not nearly as good as the directors, Stephen Chow, other works.  It has some moments of brilliance at the start, almost truly creepy and even scary like a horror movie for a moment or two, but then also has some that trademark humor, but it just falls apart because of a really bad story, contrived plot points, and then it just basically rehashes the same idea as before that Chow has done where the loser guys figures out the true potential, gets power, and wins, but it's amid this awfully written story with cheap CGI. 

Kung Fu Hustle had silly CGI, but it was handled far better there and I'd highly recommend that movie over this one.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2014, 02:37:53 am by kamikazekeeg »

MJMaranan

PRO Supporter

« Reply #509 on: June 03, 2014, 01:32:10 am »
Watched Journey to the West: Conquering the Demons, but sadly it was not nearly as good as the directors, Stephen Chow, other works.  It has some moments of brilliance at the start, almost truly creepy and even scary like a horror movie for a moment or two, but then also has some that trademark humor, but it just falls apart because of a really bad story, contrived plot points, and then it just basically rehashes the same idea as before that Chow has done where the loser guys figures out the true potential, gets power, and wins, but it's amid this awfully written story with cheap CGI. 

Kung Fu Hustle had silly CGI, but it was handled far better there and I'd highly recommend that movie >>over<< this one.
Fixed!  I now second your recommendation...

Saw a little bit of The Frozen Ground with my dad...  Meh!

Please check out the games I have for sale.