Author Topic: Wrestling Thread!  (Read 91099 times)

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

Re: Wrestling Thread!
« Reply #765 on: November 20, 2017, 02:07:46 pm »

Caught a re-run of this, luckily (missed it the first time around).

Really good documentary. It goes more into his personal life behind the scenes than his wrestling, but it does go a little into the wrestling side of things, too.

Well worth watching if you're a fan. Very well done. However, there really isn't much here that you wouldn't have already gotten out of the WWE documentary.

« Reply #766 on: December 03, 2017, 07:09:23 pm »

Caught a re-run of this, luckily (missed it the first time around).

Really good documentary. It goes more into his personal life behind the scenes than his wrestling, but it does go a little into the wrestling side of things, too.

Well worth watching if you're a fan. Very well done. However, there really isn't much here that you wouldn't have already gotten out of the WWE documentary.

Which reminds me they just recently released the trailer for the Andre The Giant documentary that HBO is doing. Wonder how that will turn out especially since WWE hasnt really done one themselves to my knowledge aside from that one VHS they had of him that then got converted into a DVD release.

« Reply #767 on: December 05, 2017, 06:10:11 pm »
With Matt Hardy "Woken", I might have to start watching RAW again lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=blgS56pESPk

« Reply #768 on: December 06, 2017, 08:01:03 am »

Haven't honestly watched Raw since the whole Matt/Lita/Edge thing... I might consider watching again assuming they don't bury Matt.

I have this feeling they are just using the Woken Matt thing to build Wyatt, and once Wyatt is properly built they will bury Matt again.

« Reply #769 on: December 06, 2017, 04:03:19 pm »

Haven't honestly watched Raw since the whole Matt/Lita/Edge thing... I might consider watching again assuming they don't bury Matt.

I have this feeling they are just using the Woken Matt thing to build Wyatt, and once Wyatt is properly built they will bury Matt again.

I don't see why they would do that.  Wyatt will get a boost, he'll lose the overall battle, and move on to someone else. Been like that for the past few years I've been watching.  I don't think there's anywhere for Wyatt to go, but there's potential to elevate both here and Matt is way more over and should do well for awhile.

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #770 on: December 06, 2017, 04:05:45 pm »
Isn't it funny how everyone is a Broken Hardy fan, yet no one was watching TNA when he was doing it? That's when TNA was about to go under (again).

« Reply #771 on: December 06, 2017, 04:23:48 pm »
Isn't it funny how everyone is a Broken Hardy fan, yet no one was watching TNA when he was doing it? That's when TNA was about to go under (again).

Yeah, I've only seen clips of his TNA time because I never watched TNA.  I find it really amusing, and it's basically what Wyatt is doing, but with an absurd twist to it that feels like he's channeling Ultimate Warrior at times, just with less yelling.  I've been interested in it from a fun character point of view and really hope WWE embrace it.  We don't need him to turn into another Wyatt, where he has these great nonsensical promos, but most of the time he's just getting his ass kicked.

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #772 on: December 06, 2017, 04:42:11 pm »
I thought it was hilarious how Wyatt was trying his best to be scary, and Matt Hardy kept giggling back at him. I was literally laughing out loud. And my wife is all like, "What in the hell are you watching? What's wrong with you?"

« Reply #773 on: December 06, 2017, 05:57:44 pm »
I thought it was hilarious how Wyatt was trying his best to be scary, and Matt Hardy kept giggling back at him. I was literally laughing out loud. And my wife is all like, "What in the hell are you watching? What's wrong with you?"

I want to see them have an in person promo together.  Two great characters just trying to get one over the other.

« Reply #774 on: December 07, 2017, 08:42:21 am »
I've only seen 2 Broken Hardy promos, and while they are interesting, I wouldn't call myself a fan of the character.  I've always been a fan of Matt Hardy and I'm glad he found prominence with TNA, but I've never paid much attention to TNA.

I don't see why they would do that.  Wyatt will get a boost, he'll lose the overall battle, and move on to someone else. Been like that for the past few years I've been watching.  I don't think there's anywhere for Wyatt to go, but there's potential to elevate both here and Matt is way more over and should do well for awhile.
WWE has a habit of screwing over Matt Hardy, treating him like he's only useful when he's with Jeff.  He did well with ECW brand before he left for TNA again.  I enjoyed his Matt Hardy V2 character, which I almost feel is a predecessor to the Broken Hardy persona.  And as far as I recall, he, historically, hasn't been great on the mic, but he does absolutely well in the ring.  WWE has a habit of screwing any good character just to put over someone like Reigns or John Cena.

« Reply #775 on: December 07, 2017, 06:10:58 pm »
WWE has a habit of screwing over Matt Hardy, treating him like he's only useful when he's with Jeff.  He did well with ECW brand before he left for TNA again.  I enjoyed his Matt Hardy V2 character, which I almost feel is a predecessor to the Broken Hardy persona.  And as far as I recall, he, historically, hasn't been great on the mic, but he does absolutely well in the ring.  WWE has a habit of screwing any good character just to put over someone like Reigns or John Cena.

Well we just gotta make sure that Matt stays away from Reigns, maybe hovering more around the top of the mid card, and he'll be okay lol I don't need him battling Lesnar for the Universal belt or anything (Though I imagine him and Heyman could have some pretty interesting promos).  But the potential for Balor, Wyatt, down the road with The New Day, The Miz, for those with good characters or ideas about them that could make for good interactions, because Matt is a fine wrestler, nothing amazing these days, but consistent that I've seen with him returning, it's the absurdity that I understand about "Woken" Matt which will make things fun. 

Because honestly, it doesn't really feel like there are a lot of good "characters" in WWE these days.  There's a couple for sure, but like proper characters on the level of Wyatt or now Matt, there's only a couple really good ones.

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #776 on: December 07, 2017, 06:18:12 pm »
^ I'm perfectly fine with that. WWE needs less characters, and less scripts. They need more off the cuff promos and guys being allowed to be creative on their own. They need that opportunity to try to one-up each other. That's what made the Attitude Era so special.

« Reply #777 on: December 22, 2017, 12:52:29 am »
This is technically wrestling related, but apparently it looks like Vince is looking to reboot his failed football league, the XFL.  It was a complete disaster the first time and I'm not sure I see how it becomes a thing for him.  At least he'd know what to do right this time, but I can't imagine this works out.

https://www.cagesideseats.com/wwe/2017/12/21/16808176/vince-mcmahon-has-reportedly-filed-for-new-xfl-trademarks

And for kicks, here's a retrospective on the XFL from OSW Review.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rrg7w-ETjL0

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #778 on: December 22, 2017, 01:07:09 am »
He wants to package it as content to sell to content-hungry digital streaming services.

« Reply #779 on: December 22, 2017, 01:21:53 am »
He wants to package it as content to sell to content-hungry digital streaming services.

For sure.  That's clearly the only avenue for it, especially if he can keep more control over it rather than through a tv network deal.  I personally don't care as I don't watch sports at all, it's just interesting to see Vince making what is likely another poor business decision.  What's next? Bring back the World Bodybuilding Federation?