Author Topic: Wrestling Thread!  (Read 91119 times)

Re: Wrestling Thread!
« Reply #810 on: May 21, 2019, 10:17:16 am »
I wasn't aware that WWE Network didn't get the live shows, so I wound up watching Raw streaming on some sleazy looking website.  I mostly only tuned in because of the whole Mick Foley is debuting a new championship thing.  I was really expecting them to try and unify the World/Universal belts or introduce like a TV title or something.  Then Mick started talking and EVERYONE thought it was going to be the hardcore title... but no, it's just a 24/7 belt to be used as a comedic bit.  Crowd booed like crazy when he revealed it wasn't the Hardcore Championship. 

So I think I won't be keeping a subscription to WWE Network knowing that I still need Hulu to watch Raw and Smackdown, since WWE Network gets the episodes staggered like a month and a half back.  If I can't watch the weekly stuff live, I don't think I'm going to pay $10/month just to watch 1 event a month.  I'm certainly not going to subscribe to cable or Hulu Live TV because that shit costs way too damned much for something I'd only use to watch wrestling.

mark1982

« Reply #811 on: May 21, 2019, 10:44:16 am »
Holy hell that belt is atrocious... I just saw. And they bring back Mick Foley for that?

I think the only real appropriate reaction here is to just move along and don’t make eye contact..
« Last Edit: May 21, 2019, 12:23:35 pm by mark1982 »
  l    l 

« Reply #812 on: May 21, 2019, 10:50:09 am »
Holy hell that belt is autrcious... I just saw. And they bring back Mick Foley for that?

I think the only real appropriate reaction here is to just move along and don’t make eye contact..
Without any modicum of respectability, this title is a full on joke.  We'll have title changes during house shows and it'll just overall be a terrible thing and devalue the idea of being a champion.

ss4moku

« Reply #813 on: May 22, 2019, 10:54:34 am »
I watch WWE through mainly 2 dubious sites, but they work really well and get the job done in my opinion.

I watch all their weekly shows including the somewhat ok 205 Live. NXT and NXT UK are their strongest stuff, mainly because Vince isn't involved.

I don't understand how it's totally cool that Lesnar won the MITB match, and there was no backlash storyline-wise. Remember the first MITB women's match, and because of how Carmella initially won it, they did a rematch? Guess you can't expect that sorta reaction since it's Brock, he's lazy, and he probably would've been taken out like Big Show was in a previous MITB, laid out underneath a bunch of ladders. Can't have Brock looking weak unless it's someone like Roman Reigns facing him lol

That 24/7 championship is interesting, but so far there's no substance to it. At least the Hardcore championship they had some decent matches. This just looks like whoever has the belt is going to hide and run in the backstage area worse than Crash ever did.

Well, I'm looking forward to next week's TakeOver XXV. Not sure how well that Super ShowDown the week after is gonna be, but Goldberg vs. Undertaker might be pretty bad. Maybe next WrestleMania we'll finally see Taker vs. Sting. But I have doubts they'll ever pull that trigger, especially considering what happened with Sting. They're not getting any younger lol

doafan

« Reply #814 on: May 23, 2019, 09:45:12 am »
Holy hell that belt is atrocious... I just saw. And they bring back Mick Foley for that?

Honestly when I saw him really was expecting to see the Hardcore Championship and damn I was so excited about that but as always ...

... just hope that they don't give that title to Zayn cause at this date am still waiting to see Sami wearing a belt  :'(

I don't want to be horny anymore, I just want to be happy

« Reply #815 on: July 15, 2019, 08:55:58 am »
Every damned time I decide to watch a ppv, it's gotta end with Brock Lesnar being Brock Lesnar.  God I hate that guy.

doafan

« Reply #816 on: July 15, 2019, 12:15:02 pm »
Every damned time I decide to watch a ppv, it's gotta end with Brock Lesnar being Brock Lesnar.  God I hate hat guy.

The worst part is that he won the Universal title, again  :'(

mark1982

« Reply #817 on: July 15, 2019, 12:57:41 pm »
at least AJ Styles is heel again with Bullet Club guys. Just one lacking, come on down Balor and join the club, after all he started the whole thing in Japan :)

l    l 

« Reply #818 on: July 15, 2019, 02:56:53 pm »
Yeah I didn't watch the PPV, but hearing that Lesnar cashed in and is champion again, shows why I'm not watching the PPV's.  I know he had to the cash-in and maybe he won't ruin things again for months on end, but man that still sucks.

« Reply #819 on: August 12, 2019, 12:00:04 am »
Only saw this with clips, but this has to be one of the best debuts/redesign of a wrestler in quite a long time, especially in terms of embracing a gimmick.  Also the first time since I've come back to wrestling that I felt like Wyatt is in a real good place if creative continues to handle this well, unlike all the failed pushes he's had over the past couple years.  It feels like a legit Attitude Era type of feel to the character, that he would be duking it out with Mankind and Undertaker and The Brood, which is fitting that he did get to "Mandible Claw" Mick Foley a few shows back lol

As much as I love a good technical wrestler like Richochet or hard hitting guys like Gargano and Ciampa, I love a good gimmick and you just don't see that as much anymore.  Now we just have to see if WWE Creative is willing to keep embracing this character or screw it up like they usually do lol

https://www.cagesideseats.com/wwe/2019/8/11/20801519/wwe-summerslam-2019-results-scary-bray-wyatt-beats-up-finn-balor

« Reply #820 on: August 12, 2019, 09:08:58 am »
The show last night was pretty okay.  Even the preshow wasn't terrible.  I'm glad Lesnar doesn't have the belt anymore.  That match... was something.  All Lesnar can do in terms of wrestling is just a full on finisher fight.  No fighting, no wrestling, just back and forth finishers until it's over... which just really shows how weak Seth Rollins finisher is.  It's a god damned head stomp.

I would've much rather seen the Women's Tag match on the main card rather than see that Trish Stratus match.  It was a very subpar match, felt like it belonged on one of those Saudi Arabian Super Show PPVs.  Mildly disappointed that there was no Tag Title matches.  The Fiend's (Bray Wyatt) match was pretty squash, his entrance was pretty cool old school Taker throwback, I did always love Taker's shtick back in the day where the lights would go down and he'd just appear.  The mask helps convey the creepiness that they always try to portray with Wyatt.  But ending the PPV on a squash match... very meh, my only guess is they are going to push this gimmick HARD.  Also, Kofi x Orton was odd.  The match ended in a ring out, which the crowd didn't seem happy with, kind of a weak way to end a big title match.

« Reply #821 on: January 27, 2020, 03:05:30 pm »
I don't have many places to go and chat about wrestling so I'm gonna rant here about last night's Royal Rumble.

1) Sheamus x Shorty G - They televised segments for this rivalry or whatever and then it was a dark match, boo.

2) Andrade x Humberto Carillo - Again, they made a huge deal out of the thing with Andrade and his US reign... and it's a dark match, boo.

3) Reigns x Corbin - I heard a lot of folks actually enjoyed this fight, I didn't really watch it as I was getting my kid ready for bed, but I don't care for Corbin or Reigns, so it was an easy skip for me.

4) Women's Rumble - So much good stuff went on in this, but the whole time I'm watching it, I'm thinking to myself, who would WWE push to win this thing.  They've been pushing Bianca Belair pretty fucking hard, but she already has a title match with Ripley at Takeover Portland, so it's non sensical... plus I really don't care for her.  She ends every match holding her head... is it your hair?  Do you have undiagnosed brain damage?  Is this how you sell hard fought matches?  I don't know, I don't like it.  While WWE wants to act like NXT is on equal ground as Smackdown and Raw, I don't think they'd let an NXT star win one of these things just yet, not until the ratings justify it and NXT ratings just aren't good enough.  Over half the competitors were NXT or Unsigned/Retired folks, so that didn't leave much.  Kairi is really good, but with Asuka getting a shot and them having the belt, no, I don't think so.  I'm still expecting a Bliss-Cross x Kabuki Warriors Tag Title match at Mania, so that knocks out a handful.  I love Sarah Logan, but I knew she was gonna get jobbed again.  No way they are pulling Fire & Desire, or Lana and Liv from their respective promos.  That pretty much guaranteed a Raw winner with the only reasonable winners maybe being Flair, Naomi, or Natalya.  Personally not a fan of Flair, she's so stale at this point and I hope she jumps to Smackdown.  Anyway, overall enjoyable match, I figured Otis would save Mandy at least once, but I'm pleased to say while watching, I didn't see it coming, so it pleased me.  Naomi's little parkour thing was kinda funny and I enjoyed it.  Beth Phoenix and Natalya kicking ass was pretty dope, I still hate the turning on your friend trope.  I'm a huge fan of Bliss-Cross so it was nice to see them work together and not betray each other, I'm constantly concerned they are going to do that because it's very much a Bliss thing to do based on her history.  A lot of the NXT stars looked pretty damned bad ass.  Just overall a great showing.  The Santina thing annoyed me a little because it belittles what great is going on and just makes a joke at the expense of having another competitor in the match.  I'm glad to know that Kelly Kelly being in the match was a last minute thing and not planned, because I was not a fan of it.  She is very much a relic of an era when women's wrestling was slapping, hair pulling, and overly sexist maneuvers.

5) Bayley x Evans - Especially with the placement of this match, I expected this to be a quick match with no title change with a possible build up to a real fight at whatever their February event is.  Match ended with a roll up which is always weak and a non end to a story.  So this will likely continue.

6) Fiend x Bryan - Premise for the fight is good and they built the fight up well, but we knew this wouldn't be the end of the Fiend's reign.  This is the first Fiend match I've seen and I'm glad that I never had to experience the "red lights" that I heard people talk about not being there last night.  Match went pretty well, but the end was so abrupt and anticlimactic, I didn't care for that.

7) Lynch x Asuka - I had heard about WWEs plan for this match a long time ago when some Raw match went a certain way and there were talks that WWE didn't mean to end the match that way so they could properly build a Lynch/Asuka rivalry.  I didn't buy into the promos, but I knew it'd be a great showing because they are both fantastic competitors.  Fantastic match with the ending I expected and I think several people called.

8) Men's Rumble - I'll preface this with the statement that I hate Brock Lesnar, always have, always will.  The first ~25 minutes of the match were just torture for me.  He just flicked people around like a napkin ball.  And when people did manage to stack up, they didn't focus on Lesnar solely so he managed to continue.  I'll also state that I hate the cliched turning on your pal thing, it's so over played and I hate it.  Once Lesnar was out the match kind of picked up to its usual stuff, pretty good overall.  Glad to see Edge in there and kick some major ass.  The AOP/Rollins thing got tiresome quick and luckily they ended it rather quick I felt.  Match started stupid slow and stupid and gradually built to a real good match.  Kind of cinches that McIntyre is going face.  Will be interesting to see because he seems very Orton in that he has a heel face and swagger.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2020, 03:10:20 pm by ignition365 »

« Reply #822 on: January 27, 2020, 04:17:05 pm »
I was gonna watch the Rumble, because it's one of the few shows for wrestling I kinda like outright, no matter what is going on, because it's kinda dumb, but like it's the kind of dumb I've enjoyed since I was a kid lol, but I I was worn the hell out on Sunday and ended up passing on it.  I might go back and check out both the women and men's match and maybe the Fiend/Wyatt and Becky/Asuka match.

doafan

« Reply #823 on: January 27, 2020, 07:02:13 pm »
Haven't seen any show/event in a while but I still watch the news and results of these thanks to a youtuber, this guy got some pretty good predictions for this Royal Rumble and he was so damn right that I decided to watch at least the men's rumble, have to say that am not dissapointed with the development and results of this match, in fact am very impressed in how good it was  8)

« Reply #824 on: January 28, 2020, 12:23:03 pm »
So it sounds like Edge is back, and they're having him feud with Orton to ease him back into things.  They've got good history and chemistry and Orton is fantastic in the ring.