Author Topic: Wrestling Thread!  (Read 91616 times)

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

Re: Wrestling Thread!
« Reply #90 on: December 01, 2014, 12:24:37 pm »
So what were some of your favorite rivalries in wrestling?

As I've been a huge fan of wrestling ever since I was little, I've seen so many rivalries that it's not even funny.  But some of my favorite rivalries include:  Hulk Hogan vs. Andre The Giant, Stone Cold Steve Austin vs. Mr. McMahon, Bobby Roode vs. James Storm, Michael Cole vs. Jerry "The King" Lawler, and WWE vs. WCW.

Now I realize some of my choices were mainly storyline-driven feuds, but that's the one thing I miss about the old school days of wrestling -- better quality storylines to go along with the in-ring action.  Plus, not to mention how I also miss the days when WWE wasn't so PG-rated and kid-friendly.  It's so squeaky clean anymore that it's practically nauseating.

Indeed. I think a big problem with that is that they have PPVs every single freaking month, and they treat the fans like they should forget everything that happened in the PPV period before, WHEN IT WAS ONLY A MONTH AGO!

Treat the fans with a little respect and put a little more effort and faith into the storylines, and we'd have a better modern product.

And great choice on Bobby Roode vs. James Storm. I wasn't even considering TNA when I thought up the question. Bobby Roode is probably the single best all-around wrestler in TNA or WWE.

kr2nist

« Reply #91 on: December 01, 2014, 03:03:39 pm »
Indeed. I think a big problem with that is that they have PPVs every single freaking month, and they treat the fans like they should forget everything that happened in the PPV period before, WHEN IT WAS ONLY A MONTH AGO!

Treat the fans with a little respect and put a little more effort and faith into the storylines, and we'd have a better modern product.

And great choice on Bobby Roode vs. James Storm. I wasn't even considering TNA when I thought up the question. Bobby Roode is probably the single best all-around wrestler in TNA or WWE.

Exactly.  It was much MUCH nicer when the PPVs were more spread out, allowing there to be time for storyline build up leading up to the next PPV.  But now it's gotten way out of hand and totally unnecessary....and predictable as hell.  Like for instance, this year's Survivor Series PPV with the Bray Wyatt vs. Dean Ambrose match.  It hadn't even been 24 hours since that PPV when it was already announced that those two will go at it again at TLC.  Of course I wasn't surprised, but I can remember back in the day when their match would develop into a decent storyline - like say "Who's The Better Lunatic?" - and their feud would continue to fuel, until the decision was made later on to put their asses back in the ring at the next PPV.  And now anymore it's like who won't be in the PPV.....*sigh*......

As much as I watch (or at least try to) pro wrestling, it isn't very often when I'm taken by surprise by something.  This is why I chose the Bobby Roode vs. James Storm rivalry.  Back when those two were still a team as Beer Money Inc., I honestly didn't see it coming when Bobby turned heel like he did....I even yelled "Daaaaaaaamn!" at the T.V. when he hit Storm with the beer bottle!  Bobby is a rare gem among the TNA and WWE rosters, and I gotta admit he plays the bad guy part really well.  But regardless whether he's heel or face, he's undoubtedly "The IT Factor".
kr2nist (old school gamer and very awesome cartoonist!)
Currently owned systems:  XBox 360, XBox One

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #92 on: December 02, 2014, 12:12:34 pm »
^ Yep, that's when TNA was great!

Do you get Destination Channel on your cable network? That's where TNA is going starting the beginning of 2015. In December it's just gonna be "The Best of TNA" episodes, rather than real wrestling cards.

Unfortunately, to get Destination on my cable network, I have to order the super-deluxe 300+ channel package, which I'm not gonna do. My 100 channel package is good enough. And from what I read, only 52% of Americans have this on their cable package. I really hope TNA re-airs their Impacts online. Not only that, but Destination is giving them 3 time-slots, which equals 3 TNA shows a week! I'm really bummed I'm gonna miss that. I actually prefer TNA to WWE.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2014, 12:18:20 pm by burningdoom »

jcalder8

« Reply #93 on: December 02, 2014, 03:18:56 pm »
Some of my favorite feuds have been:
Bret vs Shawn
Undertaker vs Kane
Undertaker vs Mankind
nWo vs WCW
Sabu vs RVD
Rock vs Austin

kr2nist

« Reply #94 on: December 03, 2014, 01:32:37 am »
Do you get Destination Channel on your cable network? That's where TNA is going starting the beginning of 2015. In December it's just gonna be "The Best of TNA" episodes, rather than real wrestling cards.

So it IS true then that TNA is moving!  I had seen something on Facebook recently about Destination Channel, but wasn't sure what that was all about.  But nope, we don't have that channel...hell, I'm not even sure if our satellite service even carries it.  I don't see why TNA wouldn't have their matches online, but that's just going to be weird with them leaving the Spike TV network...
kr2nist (old school gamer and very awesome cartoonist!)
Currently owned systems:  XBox 360, XBox One

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #95 on: January 12, 2015, 04:06:48 pm »
Guess who's getting inducted into the WWE Hall of Fame this year?

Ohh yeaahhh!!! Dig it?!

« Reply #96 on: January 13, 2015, 01:38:28 am »
Surprised its taken this long to do so lol

I've actually watched a ton of wrestling stuff lately, due to OSW reviews.  Anyone else watch that? It's great getting all this detailed information and footage of classic and even newer wrestling and it's pretty funny a lot of the time.  Nice seeing some of the classic stuff, though I want to see more more mid 90's to late 90's stuff show up as that I think was when I was more into things, playing the games on N64, stuff like that.

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #97 on: January 13, 2015, 12:22:04 pm »
Surprised its taken this long to do so lol

There's a rumor that Mach was scamming on an underage Stephanie McMahon back in the day. That's why for years you never saw a Macho Man DVD or special, or WWE even mention him; supposedly. But unlike other wrestling "real drama", there's no backstory or shoot-interviews about it; like there is for the Montreal Screwjob or Fingerpoke of Doom. So it's hard to take the story at face value.

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #98 on: January 15, 2015, 04:57:32 pm »

Do my eyes deceive me or is it 1995?

You know I'm gonna be all over this!

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #99 on: January 16, 2015, 12:52:41 pm »
If you want the Attitude Era to return, give me a "Hell yeah!"

WWE Possibly Returning to a TV-14 Rating:
http://www.inquisitr.com/1759229/wwe-news-wwe-programming-heading-back-to-an-edgy-tv-14-rating-soon/

« Reply #100 on: January 24, 2015, 01:49:14 am »
I haven't seriously watched wrestling in many years, mostly just clips and lately review show stuff from OSW reviews, but I went and watched Wrestling Kingdom 9, which is New Japan's event and holy crap is this is some good stuff.  It's very different from the American wrestling going on, very much due to the cultural differences, where it seems like WWE fans are loud and noisy all the time, but in Japan, it's more of a buildup, the audience showing their respect for the guys until things start to really ramp up.  Because of this, you get to hear some very nasty sounding hits and kicks and more in ring type of stuff.

Even what might be considered the worst in this show, seemed better than most stuff I've seen shown up over here in WWE.  There's more focus on the actual wrestling and less of the badly acted bullshit soap opera stuff.  Sure that kinda stuff can be kinda fun at times, but it doesn't matter if the wrestling matches suck and I don't really think it's been as good as the event and promo stuff of wrestling past from the late 80's into the 90's from the likes of Hogan, Savage, Jake the Snake, and others, but I am slightly biased since pre-2000 was more my era of wrestling lol

Here's some gifs from the show.

This match in particular was just awesome.  This one really felt like it was playing up much more of the entertainment aspect, while still doing lots of great wrestling.  The wrestler doing the pose and then knee to the face was mocking the guy who gets hit by using his style lol Lots of back and forth mockery that the crowd ate up.

jcalder8

« Reply #101 on: January 25, 2015, 11:34:51 am »
I haven't seriously watched wrestling in many years, mostly just clips and lately review show stuff from OSW reviews, but I went and watched Wrestling Kingdom 9, which is New Japan's event and holy crap is this is some good stuff.  It's very different from the American wrestling going on, very much due to the cultural differences, where it seems like WWE fans are loud and noisy all the time, but in Japan, it's more of a buildup, the audience showing their respect for the guys until things start to really ramp up.  Because of this, you get to hear some very nasty sounding hits and kicks and more in ring type of stuff.
Thanks for the tip about this. I am going to watch it now. Even better since it's in english :D

« Reply #102 on: January 25, 2015, 04:42:16 pm »
Thanks for the tip about this. I am going to watch it now. Even better since it's in english :D

The english commentary was fairly good, though J.R. was abit of a mixed bag with his.  Abit rambling at times and not as good as Striker who was much more on the ball with the wrestler names and moves.

« Reply #104 on: January 26, 2015, 02:43:19 pm »
Did anyone here watch the recent Royal Rumble yesterday? All I've heard about it is that everyone is really upset at it, including the fans there in the audience lol