Author Topic: Wrestling Thread!  (Read 91080 times)

Re: Wrestling Thread!
« Reply #120 on: April 04, 2015, 05:21:34 pm »
Checked out NXT for the first time.  Seems fairly action packed with these younger guys in it.  I'm disappointed that Rhino who is pushing saying "Gore" isn't using this as his theme lol

*EDIT*
Also managed to watch the last Raw episode on a rerun and it had some fun moments.  Starting to get to know the wrestlers again.  Neville has some great moves, though I thought his match was too short, though kinda found the Alex guy for trying to push some rip off of Hulkamania lol Brock is just great, I loved his rampage and just how slimy a guy Rollins in.  A good spot or two from the Lucha Dragons.

It's also hilarious that Rollins as a heel gets more love than Cena who is a heal that gets booed.  Is this gonna do anything to Cena? I understand he's had some issues for awhile now, but when one of your lead good guys is getting booed like crazy, doesn't that warrant a change? I mean, wasn't that what happened with Hogan back in the day? I've been watching the Monday Night War documentary and it seemed to be people were getting tired of Hogan's act, so he went heel and got lots of hype off of it.  Not that I see Cena going heel lol
« Last Edit: April 04, 2015, 11:52:43 pm by kamikazekeeg »

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #121 on: April 05, 2015, 05:29:09 pm »
FYI: The Axel guy is Curtis Axel. He's Curt Henning's (Mr. Perfect) son.

« Reply #122 on: April 05, 2015, 05:55:10 pm »
FYI: The Axel guy is Curtis Axel. He's Curt Henning's (Mr. Perfect) son.

I really like finding out who's the daughter or son of some classic wrestler now lol The Uso's are Rikishi's kids, I believe Flair's daughter is in there, and I'm sure there are more.  Axel should totally bring back the "Perfect" gimmick instead of doing the Hulkamania thing he's fooling around with lol

Side note, I love Rollin's entrance theme.  Not much for a sorta djent sounding metal song, but that's a hell of a song when you want to get people freaking hyped up lol

The other one I like so far is Bryan's.  Sure it's just Flight of the Valkyries metal, but it's a real upbeat feeling song which is perfect for Bryan to come out to and get those YES! chants going.

« Last Edit: April 05, 2015, 06:14:49 pm by kamikazekeeg »

fighterpilot562

PRO Supporter

« Reply #123 on: April 19, 2015, 02:12:36 pm »
My friend gave me access to his WWE Network account. Currently watching smackdown 1999.
VGCs Unofficial Podcast! Be sure to sub and listen in.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTyhaE8LSCmQN7fiHxHjyWg

Add Me: fighterpilot562 (PSN, XBL, WiiU, Steam, Origin, Steam, Twitch)

1049-2600-8730

« Reply #124 on: April 20, 2015, 09:48:03 am »
Last year it looked as though WWE was finally after 12+ yrs actually going in a good direction. Sadly for me, since that Royal Rumble, good points have been few n far between. The divas division is a joke. I recently watched an embarrassing match where kidd/cesaro jobbed to d.bryans lame kicks for 10mins. A Superman punch (small jumping punch), Meathook clothesline (sloooow crap looking lariat), AA (Standing firemans carry) are some of the crappest signature moves that im now sick of seeing. More than anything seeing the misuse of actual talent in favor of people who are not on the same level in terms of ringwork really sucks.
TNA on the other hand have actually impressed me even though they still do stupid storyline changes far too frequently. The knockouts division is miles ahead of wwe though the current title holder is arguably the worse worker. An slightly improved roster in terms of numbers, the reinstatement of the TV title for the mid-card and it would be well on track.

Never thought Id say this few months ago but: TNA>WWE.

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #125 on: April 20, 2015, 12:06:34 pm »
Last year it looked as though WWE was finally after 12+ yrs actually going in a good direction. Sadly for me, since that Royal Rumble, good points have been few n far between. The divas division is a joke. I recently watched an embarrassing match where kidd/cesaro jobbed to d.bryans lame kicks for 10mins. A Superman punch (small jumping punch), Meathook clothesline (sloooow crap looking lariat), AA (Standing firemans carry) are some of the crappest signature moves that im now sick of seeing. More than anything seeing the misuse of actual talent in favor of people who are not on the same level in terms of ringwork really sucks.
TNA on the other hand have actually impressed me even though they still do stupid storyline changes far too frequently. The knockouts division is miles ahead of wwe though the current title holder is arguably the worse worker. An slightly improved roster in terms of numbers, the reinstatement of the TV title for the mid-card and it would be well on track.

Never thought Id say this few months ago but: TNA>WWE.

Wish I could agree with you. But since TNA made the network move, I haven't been able to see it. And I've always preferred TNA. It doesn't insult your intelligence and treat you like a child, like WWE loves to do. TNA knows adults watch wrestling, and gives you an adult wrestling program.

But now that they're on Destination Channel, I'd have to order my cable's ultra-deluxe package with ESPN-4 to get it, and I'm not doing that. I already pay nearly $100 for my cable package + DVR set-up for two rooms.

« Reply #126 on: April 20, 2015, 03:42:42 pm »
The Divas really need to be just wiped clean from what I can tell.  I kinda like Paige, but that's about it.  It's just all kinds of awful.  I'll forgive a slip up here and there in a match, but it's like every single time, with just bad looking moves.  Sometimes they take an alright bump, but man it's bad in comparison to what I use to watch back in the Attitude Era.  Not that there weren't problems back then also, but eh...None of them really look like they can fight which is a bigger issue to me.  Not saying we need a bunch of Chyna's exactly, but where's the woman that you just look at and go "Man, that's an asskicker right there".  All the current diva wrestlers just look like some sorority girls dressing up and running around a ring.  I of course know why they are there, but a diva can be both attractive and a solid wrestler lol

« Reply #127 on: April 20, 2015, 04:40:49 pm »
I started watching WWF (f**k you Wildlife Fund)  ;) in the early 90's, renting the old VHS tapes from the local video store. Got hooked and from there I just never stopped. Never had Sky growing up so had to make do with watching WCW on Central TV, seeing the likes of 2 Cold Scorpio & Marcus Alexander Bagwell, Johnny B.Badd, Big Van Vader etc. WWF stuff I had to rent or buy the VHS's. Gotta say from 95' to 99' this WAS the Golden Age for me. Great stuff every week, on both shows guaranteed. I was also one of those that although WWF was admittedly my fave, I loved watching Nitro and Thunder because the roster was so deep, the matches felt different and I (still do) dig the camera work panning around throughout the entrances. Almost cried during Vince McMahons simulcast during the last night of WCW. Even on that last show they still all performed with dignity and class, it truly was a Night of Champions. Stopped watching WWF about late 2001 once the Rocks 'SmackDown' catchphase became a show name and they got rid of the Attitude sets in favor of a more lame bright nightclub effect. Also screwed up the Invasion angle, pissed around with talent, pushed Cena instantly, made separate brands with general managers etc... didn't appeal to me at all. Watched TNA from the start and it felt brilliant but then that went downhill after Jarrett left the show and Hogan/Carter started messing around. Started watching TNA and WWE again for about 2 yrs now and that's that. Got plenty of 'homemade' WCW and those legit WWE Tagged Classic dvds to keep me going too.

Here in the UK I get to watch TNA on Challenge TV. Damn man, you know since they moved network they've really picked it up. Not quite WCW standard but it's so much more enjoyable than WWE and retains a cool indie-feel.

Yeah the whole Monday Night Wars era was the best period in pro wrestling. It's bad that wrestling has actually regressed into such soap opera's now with extended time for more bull on the mic. That South Park episode parodies modern wrestling and WWE in-particular, quite accurately. I don't hate WWE, don't wanna appear that way, but sometimes it does appear quite condescending in terms of presentation, ringwork and direction.

Yes Paige is decent. Her and Natalya are the only believable & realistic title holders. The rest are dreadful. Could not lace the boots of the likes of Madusa/Alundra Blayze, Luna Vachon, Bull Nakano, Akira Hokuto etc.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2015, 04:44:52 pm by ghostsweeper »

« Reply #128 on: April 20, 2015, 04:55:01 pm »
Very much the same exact situation, renting late 80's and early 90's tapes at the video store, watched until probably 2000, and then just faded off.  Back into it now and there are things I'm enjoying, I thought Wrestlemania was fun, but they have a lot of work to do to make things better.  The Roman Reigns push isn't great, the Divas we've talked about, and they keep just pushing the failed gimmicks like New Day lol

fighterpilot562

PRO Supporter

« Reply #129 on: April 20, 2015, 05:06:39 pm »
I cant watch modern WWE, My friend told me what they did with Kane. a damn shame. He will also be masked/scared kane in my heart
VGCs Unofficial Podcast! Be sure to sub and listen in.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTyhaE8LSCmQN7fiHxHjyWg

Add Me: fighterpilot562 (PSN, XBL, WiiU, Steam, Origin, Steam, Twitch)

1049-2600-8730

« Reply #130 on: April 20, 2015, 05:15:00 pm »
I cant watch modern WWE, My friend told me what they did with Kane. a damn shame. He will also be masked/scared kane in my heart

I think he's going back to the mask soon.  Was a weird direction to take him, but it'll be nice for him to pull it back out.

« Reply #131 on: April 21, 2015, 06:41:16 pm »
I don't hate John Cena like some do, then again I haven't had to put up with him for the past 10 years, but I think what annoys me about Cena is that he's a walking merchandise table lol  Nothing wrong with a shirt or wearing your logo, Hogan back in the day was very prominently wearing "Hulkamania" on him, and others like Austin had "Austin 3:16" branded on stuff he wore, but with Cena, it always seems overkill, especially when he pulls out his little branded sweat rag lol

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #132 on: April 22, 2015, 01:05:27 am »
I hate John Cena. He represents everything that's been wrong with the WWE since the PG-era started.

« Reply #133 on: April 22, 2015, 01:57:10 am »
I hate John Cena. He represents everything that's been wrong with the WWE since the PG-era started.

Does seem like he's been at this point of either needing to retire, at least for awhile, or to have a big change.  It's crazy that everywhere he goes, there are just nothing but "John Cena Sucks" chants lol When more people are willing to cheer on Rusev, the American hating heel, something isn't right.  I know I want Rusev to win at Extreme Rules this weekend lol

« Reply #134 on: April 28, 2015, 11:36:49 pm »
It looks like Daniel Bryan is going to be forced to retire. I just started watching wrestling last year around the time CM Punk left and Daniel Bryan quickly became my favorite. It's kind of sad that he just came back from injury and now he's injured again. Jeff Hardy is apparently injured now as well. I mainly watch WWE but I watch TNA sometimes to see Jeff Hardy.

This is my first post on this forum and I feel like such a downer.. well, at least Neville is a really fun to watch new talent!