Author Topic: What rules govern your collecting?  (Read 7281 times)

topspot123

What rules govern your collecting?
« on: January 18, 2013, 05:59:48 pm »
Just an advance FYI, I am primarily a console gamer, I don't PC game much at all.  This post discusses my console and handheld game purchasing. 

I know people have different ways that they collect video games.  Some collect by genre, system, era, etc., but some of us have a bit of everything.  Like many members here game condition and completeness are important factors.  I try to buy new over used when I can.  But I have other rules that I follow when making buying decisions.  I haven't always had these rules, and I add more when I need to address current trends.  These rules help keep my purchasing manageable for my budget and living space.  These are very loose rules, I can sometimes justify breaking them. 

1.  Only buy games that I like or think that I will like.

This seems like a no brainer, but I don't really buy games for their collectability, or because of the popularity of the franchise.  The vast majority of the games in my collection were chosen by me because I found things that I liked about them, regardless of popular opinion or review scores.  I have moved away from buying a game that I don't like much because it is 'significant' in video game culture.

2.  It is okay to abandon a franchise or character. 

This is a pretty bitter pill to swallow.  Part of being a completionist is trying to have every sequel, spin-off, or derivative of a game that I love.  Characters such as Sonic the Hedgehog, Crash Bandicoot, and Spyro the Dragon have forced me to make an evaluation of game quality before making a purchase.  Which leads me to #3.

3.  It is okay to buy a good sequel without having every game in between.

4.  I try not to repurchase games I already own (ports and compilations).

Games are frequently ported to other consoles and reissued as compilations and I think that's a very good thing.  But I usually own the original releases.  Unless they have added something significant to the re-release, I try to avoid spending money on the same game again.  I am missing out on things like HD textures and trophy support, but I also like the purity of playing a game on it's original system. 

5.  As a multi-console owner, I try to buy the 'superior' version of the multi-console game I am buying.

Sometimes it's obvious which version is better due to exclusive features or imperfect porting (see Bayonetta or The Orange Box), other times it's not so clear and each version has separate strengths and weaknesses.  I try to do enough research and pick the right one for me.  This has influenced me on #6.

6.  I can buy a 'Playstation' game on any system I please. 

What I mean is that Crash Bandicoot, Resident Evil, Silent Hill, etc, are historically tied to the Playstation.  It feels 'right' to play these games' sequels with a Playstation controller.  But if it makes sense for me to, I'll buy a sequel for a Nintendo system, or a Microsoft system, or whatever (I think this rule sounds lame and obvious, but I have two friends who disagree with me and remain console specific for certain franchises).  On what system will I buy the new Tomb Raider?  I don't know yet!

7.  All other things being equal, I purchase physical media over digital (download) media.

I am not an staunch opponent to digital purchases and I have made many.  But it usually makes sense for me to buy the physical media. 

As I think of more rules, I might edit this post.

What rules do you follow for your collections?  Are you in charge of your collection or vice versa?  Does it require this much thought and planning, or are you more relaxed about it?
« Last Edit: January 18, 2013, 06:03:31 pm by topspot123 »

Re: What rules govern your collecting?
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2013, 06:40:47 pm »
I will not buy a game that does not come with the case. Saturn, genesis, ps1, master system etc.

darko

« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2013, 07:00:47 pm »
My rules are pretty similar to yours. I might buy a game that I have on another system if I don't have the superior copy, but I wont sell my original just because I have another.

Any game that's CD based must be complete or I won't buy it.

I prefer physical over digital...to the extent that what little digital only games I do own, I don't consider part of my collection.

« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2013, 07:22:30 pm »
Great set of ammendmants for collectors lol. I just want to add along the port rule and physical copy like the releases of classic games ie dreamcast collection and saturn games that have been showing up on xbla or psn, it feels more satisfying to have the original copies.

scott

« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2013, 07:44:54 pm »
My general collection and my Castlevania collection have 2 different specs. I'm kind of in the middle of reevaluating my collecting habits though.

Obviously the Castlevania collection needs to be CIB. But here are the rules.
- Games must be CIB. In the best possible box condition available.
- Sealed is not important at all.
- Minimal creases/rips on the box.
- No sun fading. Some shelf wear is acceptable.
- No variants (this may change), Though I do have 2 variants at the moment.
- Kid Dracula on GB CIB isn't critical, and can stay loose. Though I still look for a CIB occassionally.
- Console releases only (except the Konami Collection which I already had the disc and it was bothering me that it was loose), no oddball old PC ports.
- North American releases only. No need to collect each copy from each region. I do want Kid Dracula for Famicom though.
- Officially released Swag is part of the collection. But fan made swag isn't. Try to get any new preorder swag as it comes out.

General Collection guidelines.
- Cartridge based games are OK loose. But the labels must look good. I try to stay away from ripped or fades labels.
- Genesis, DS and 3DS carts on the other hand must be in their case, or I won't buy them.
- Disc based games need their cases and manuals. If they don't I instapass.
- Artwork must be in good shape, w/o sun fading. Some shelf wear is ok though.
- From this point on. No more complete system list collecting. Only buying games I actually want and want to play.
- Digital games are ok. If they are PC games or XBLA/ Nintendo eShop only downloads. But I'll always go for physical over digital on retail games. I boycotted Patapon 2 until they released a UMD version of it because it was Digital Only.
- PC games, I don't really hold much value in. So I'll usually go digital on those. But I'll rarely, if ever, download a console game. I think the only full games I have for consoles that are digital are the ones Sony gave away for their huge network fail.
- Compilations/ Remakes/ ReReleases are OK, especially if the games are hard to come by alone. But I prefer the original version over an emulated version any time.

Now Playing: Persona 5 Scramble, Animal Crossing: New Horizons, Mario Kart 8

Brush Wizard - Mini Painting Blog | The SHMUP: BYOAC Build | Art Thread

foxhack

« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2013, 07:47:18 pm »
"Is it moldy or in bad shape?"
If no, buy.

"Is it cheap?"
If yes, buy.

... that's about it.

scott

« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2013, 08:14:02 pm »
If no, buy.

Brown Sauce.

foxhack

« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2013, 08:21:41 pm »
If no, buy.

Brown Sauce.
I bought a brand new copy of Quarterback Attack for PC off eBay. It looked nice so I put it in storage.

Three months later, I opened it. It had water damage and mold inside. I had to throw everything away. I couldn't even leave the guy a neg since so much time had passed. :(

scott

« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2013, 08:29:18 pm »
Ha gross. It was brand new though?

atariboy

« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2013, 08:30:48 pm »
If no, buy.

"Is it cheap?"
If yes, buy.

... that's about it.

Pretty much sums up my rules  :P
Now Playing: Lollipop Chainsaw

foxhack

« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2013, 08:43:44 pm »
Ha gross. It was brand new though?
That's what I said. :(

sin2beta

« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2013, 08:56:07 pm »
Since focusing my collection, I have lowered my standards and have been very happy.

No boxes for game carts - I used to spend so mush time looking for these and paying a premium. Recently I purchased a genesis and have acquired 31 games. All in all, I'm out about $40. This would have purchased a max of about 8 games in their cases. It's SO much hassle.

XBOX must have case, who cares about instructions This could change. It all depends on price. I don't think I have a real problem with buying a loose disk, a 99 cent sports game for a green case, and replacing the insert with a high-quality printing of a cover project insert.

Dreamcast is complete So few games and one of my favorite systems.

Saturn and Sega CD... Don't know... I haven't started these and that is because I am really tempted to try staying away from cases on these as well. I would just use the cover project on DVD cases. They stack better. And periodically I find someone selling a collection that were in a CD book. They can't sell 'em. So, they let good disks go really cheap. Plus, those giant sega jewel cases suck! But buying loose CDs seems sketchy.

To be honest, after seeing other collectors and my past experiences. I actively stay away from cases most of the time. CIB SNES collectors are insane and put collecting habits in perspective.  :P
UPDATED 01/22/2016 New Ages of SEGA "Space Slalom" is now on....
SegaNerds.com: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t7J9ZbGNB-c

jcalder8

« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2013, 10:18:13 pm »
1. If it is cheap, buy it
2. If you think someone else wants it, buy it
3. If wife would enjoy it, buy it
4. Disc based games must have cases, unless it's cheap enough, then buy it
5. If I already own it on another system, buy it to add to numbers
6. If I have a sealed copy of the game, buy an open one to play
7. If I have one game from a series, I must buy the others
8. Only sell extra copies if necessary!

« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2013, 10:31:35 pm »
I bet the game was back from katrina or ike... even though it was brand new they probably robbed the video game store in the flood... oh yea back to the real subject....

1. if cheap buy especially because that means I may be able to get more than one cheap game.
2. If originally came with a hard case like genesis or some of the Disc game must have cases(though I've bought games in bulk with other games without cases)
3. I buy at times to reach my goal to collect at least all the games I've enjoyed, will enjoy, and of course always have enjoyed.
4. buy the collectors edition or ultimate edition, black edition, etc... (Only because now it is easier thanks to vgcollect members keeping me well informed)
5. Wife showing an interest in a game and I can afford it at the time. (last game she showed interest in is Tropico 4 and she only played it a week before it became a dust collector though when brought up about the game she is like oooh yea but I don't remember how to play so maybe some other time)
6. I will trade for something I may have copies of because why would I need two unless they are known to be different (I.E. sticker difference ,case difference different version, different game system, etc.)
7. Bought it because someone is looking for it and I can afford to give... (Happens rarely, but some of my friends have started paying me back with letting me have games they let me borrow and I told them I would buy them off them but instead they say naw it is cool you can keep it)
8. I will sometimes try and buy the game even though I have yet the system (SMS is one of these I already have 2 games and have yet to receive the system broken though but not bad for the price)
Currently Playing - Plants Vs. Zombies: Warfare (PC) / Looking for Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance II Manual

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2013, 10:38:35 pm »
I don't have many of them, and few I do have are because I'm cheap:

1. I generally won't spend more than $20 (plus shipping if needed) for a game. If I do, it better be one I REALLY want. Even then about $40 is the limit. I'm the type of gamer you see scouring Goodwill and local used music shops for the best deals.

2. I'm not a collector that needs the box to every game, but it at least has to have sticker/label on the cartridge or CD fully intact.

3. I don't buy duplicates of games, unless it's a handheld version of a console game or vice-versa, or a remake. I'm not the type that needs special collectors variants of games or both a Saturn and PS1 version of Resident Evil (but I do own both a PS1 and Gamecube version). I just want a copy to play, but I do try to get the best version if it's within reasonable cost.