Author Topic: What rules govern your collecting?  (Read 7282 times)

turf

PRO Supporter

Re: What rules govern your collecting?
« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2013, 11:16:46 pm »
1) It has to be for sale

2) I have to have the cash

3) Carts have to have the label at least

4) Disks and DS/3DS have to have to box and manual

5) I have to want to play it

6) RULE 5 doesn't apply to NES or games that are a deal. I will buy any pile if it is the right price.  I'm an idiot like that.

scott

« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2013, 11:30:50 pm »
7. If I have one game from a series, I must buy the others

I have this same problem. ha
Now Playing: Persona 5 Scramble, Animal Crossing: New Horizons, Mario Kart 8

Brush Wizard - Mini Painting Blog | The SHMUP: BYOAC Build | Art Thread

soera

« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2013, 12:05:42 am »
Im glad I dont have that rule. Id have a lot of FF, Zelda, and Metroid games I dont like.

My rules are simple.

1: Cart only on NES
2: Complete on PS1
3: Must want to play (other than NES)
4: Will not buy a console for one game. This is the one that is killing me. I want to play Crusader of Centy, Magic Knight Rayearth, and Popful Mail. I dont want to add 3 more consoles to my already crowded room just to play 3 games.

htimreimer

« Reply #18 on: January 19, 2013, 11:14:32 am »
here is my rules
(1)if a console or pc is not working, try to fix it (thats why its good to have a soldering iron)
(2)when buying always do your research
(3)dont neglect the items in your collection but have fun with them
(4)dont buy on impulse
(5)have set goals

theprestige2000

« Reply #19 on: January 20, 2013, 10:57:45 pm »

3. If wife would enjoy it, buy it

Word.  Keeping one's spouse happy and amicable to the hobby is essential.  :D

« Reply #20 on: January 20, 2013, 11:50:42 pm »
I have a few basic rules I go by

1. My money is prioritized to go towards games I actually want to play however if the price is right I'll buy anything for a console I'm collecting
2. Cartridge base games just need to have a good label and be clean.
2. Disc based games need to be complete in box

ko1ru

« Reply #21 on: January 21, 2013, 01:51:41 am »
1.  It must be a game I want to/will eventually play.  This is why I have no interest in collecting every single game released for a particular console/handheld.  I do not want crap games in my collection.
  * EDIT:  And if there are crap games in my collection, chances are they're the boyfriend's.   ::) 

2.  It must be reasonably priced.  I don't have loads of money to spend on games.

3.  It must be a game I have the console/handheld for.  This rule allows for a tighter rein on the wallet as you're not buying willy-nilly on games you can't even play.  Sure, there are several games I would like to have for consoles/handhelds I don't own, but at this point in time, it makes more sense for me to collect for consoles/handhelds I currently have.  I have recently broken this rule for several PSP games, so I suppose there are exceptions to the rule when it comes to finding exceptional deals.  I do plan on getting a PSP at some point soon anyway though...  :P

4.  It must be in decent condition.  Loose carts are acceptable, but if I can find one complete for a few more dollars, I'd much rather jump on that.  Disc-based games must be complete, unless it's something that's harder-to-find.  Once I find a complete copy of something I already own that's not complete (missing manual, etc.), I'll get rid of my incomplete copy.  I do not like duplicates of the exact same thing in my collection.

5.  It must be the superior version of a game released on multiple platforms.  For instance, I recently bought the PS2 version of Castlevania: Curse of Darkness to replace my Xbox copy of the same game.  I will most likely get rid of the Xbox version.  Unfortunately, my boyfriend has a differing opinion on this particular rule.  He wants every single Guilty Gear Accent Core Plus release, even if it was released for like four or five different platforms.   ::)

6.  I buy games to keep and play, not to sell.  This rule correlates with my first rule, but it may change if I get a bit more serious about expensive items.  My boyfriend has a difference of opinion on this one, as he thinks we should just buy whatever we happen to come across of value, and sell it for money toward items we want in our collection.  I tend to disagree at this point and only want to spend money on games I want for our collection.

7.  Physical > Digital.  I will always champion physical media over digital media.  I have several XBLA titles, but I would much rather own the physical copy of a game (where possible) as opposed to the digital version.  This is a big reason I'm not a part of Steam.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2013, 03:00:48 am by ko1ru »

scott

« Reply #22 on: January 21, 2013, 08:30:25 am »
I have recently broken this rule for several PSP games, so I suppose there are exceptions to the rule when it comes to finding exceptional deals.  I do plan on getting a PSP at some point soon anyway though...  :P

Might I suggest the PSP-2000 model, when you do go about buying one. I really do believe it's the best model of the 3. I've seen my 2000 along side the 3000 and I really didn't care for the 3000's screen. Something just seemed a little off.

ko1ru

« Reply #23 on: January 21, 2013, 11:01:56 am »
I have recently broken this rule for several PSP games, so I suppose there are exceptions to the rule when it comes to finding exceptional deals.  I do plan on getting a PSP at some point soon anyway though...  :P

Might I suggest the PSP-2000 model, when you do go about buying one. I really do believe it's the best model of the 3. I've seen my 2000 along side the 3000 and I really didn't care for the 3000's screen. Something just seemed a little off.

Hey, thanks a lot for the advice.  I was wondering which model to get between the three, and I was leaning toward the 2000 anyway.  So you helped solidify my decision.  :)

The boyfriend wants a 1000 model so that he can soft mod it.   ::)   :P

scott

« Reply #24 on: January 21, 2013, 11:14:11 am »
I had a modded PSP-1000 and it ended up being a huge pain in the ass. But I got rid of it, because I really didn't care for it being modded. Finally got tired of it and not being able to just update it to play newer games and traded it in for a brand new PSP-2000.

jcalder8

« Reply #25 on: January 21, 2013, 11:37:14 am »
I had a modded PSP-1000 and it ended up being a huge pain in the ass. But I got rid of it, because I really didn't care for it being modded. Finally got tired of it and not being able to just update it to play newer games and traded it in for a brand new PSP-2000.
This is the main reason that I don't play psp games on my psp but I do like the emulators for it.

« Reply #26 on: January 21, 2013, 04:06:24 pm »

4: Will not buy a console for one game. This is the one that is killing me. I want to play Crusader of Centy, Magic Knight Rayearth, and Popful Mail. I dont want to add 3 more consoles to my already crowded room just to play 3 games.

I'm with you on that and, am similarly torn as I'd love to have an Atari Jag JUST for Tempest 2000. There's not much else that appeals to me on that system but is Tempest 2000 itself worth the price of a Jag? I've heard many on Atariage say just that.

My other rules are also of the common sense variety - only buy games I like or think I will like although there are exceptions like anything Atari 2600 or Tandy Color computer if I don't have it and its a good price.

I'm primarily a collector of retro arcade ports so I'll always look for anything from say, the late 70's to the mid 80's that was in the arcade and ported to a home console. I've been doing this heavily with the GB/GBC/GBA lately.

« Reply #27 on: January 22, 2013, 11:30:43 pm »
topspot

i agree with all them apart from 3.
if i get a game that follows on from a story i want to play it in order.
i started playing uncharted 3 and as amazing as that game is i put it down until i get the first 2. i think games like this build the character so i want to play them in order.
having said that i will still buy the game if i see it. i will just try and get the previous game before if the above is the case.

of course they are exceptions to this. final fantasy as each is a different story with different characters.

« Reply #28 on: January 22, 2013, 11:34:24 pm »
i refuse to pay $60 for a game.

i refuse to buy map packs any more.

theflea

« Reply #29 on: January 25, 2013, 10:22:07 am »
My rules when game hunting

Cart Games - Games can be cart only but must have an intact label and cart must not be damaged
                      or discolored (unless it's rare and really cheap as a filler) Only exception is Sega
                      Games Must be complete in box. Unless rare and/or dirt cheap til I can get a box.

CD Games - All CD based games must be complete, Only exception I make is 3DO if inner cd case
                    had artwork and book (eg. Street Fighter II Turbo) I can live without the large outter
                    box. I've turned down rare PS1/2 games at cheap prices just because they where CD
                    only. Cases can be damaged (they are easy to replace) But cover card and book must
                    be in good shape.

T16/PC Engine Cards - Must have original case and book, only exceptions are the games that only
                                     came in a cardboard box.

Flash Card Games - DS, Gizmondo, N-Gage, Zodiac must all have the case and book.

PSP UMD's - Must be complete in case.

Famicom Disks - Must have plastic case, envelope and inner artwork. N64DD games must be
                          complete

Game Systems - Must be complete with original controllers, and everything must work. System can
                          not be damaged in any way, but will except small scuffs especially if it's rare.
                          While having boxes is a huge plus. I wont pass on loose Game systems. Only
                          piece I don't mind missing is RF/AV cables. (unless its something exclusive to the
                          system.)

Sealed games - When i buy a new game I never open it til I'm ready to play it. This way If a game
                          never gets played and later I find out its valuable I have a sealed copy. But unless
                          I find a classic game sealed at a good price I don't hunt for sealed games because
                          It just makes me want to buy the game twice to have one that can be played.

PC games - I don't collect PC/MAC games of any kind. Console Computers is the closest i get to
                   Collecting PC games. (TI-99, Atari 400/800, VIC20, Aquarius)

Variations - I don't hunt every version of every game, While I do buy games like Maro/duck hunt,
                  Super Mario (solo), Duck Hunt (solo) Mario/Duck Hunt/Track Field. Or huge label
                  difference (eg. silver Metroid label & yellow Metroid label) And even collect the Famicom
                  versions of the same games I own on the NES. But don't go crazy hunting every
                  Nintendo seal variation or every sears alternate named game on Atari. I only pick these
                  up when buying a lot of games and these I hold on to just because, but don't rummage
                  Through every bin of old carts looking for small label variations.
                  But I do collect Variations of Game Systems as far as models and colors.

While some of these rules I do break if its cheap and hold on to it til I replace it. Like I picked up a couple T16 cards that where card only just because they where so cheap at a garage sale. And I picked up a Sharp Nintendo TV combo that was missing it's game door. But this system is so rare and the price was cheap I couldn't pass on it. Mainly I want to play the games, which is why I don't go crazy hunting sealed games, it's bad enough the few sealed games I have that I feel I can't open and have to hunt down an opened copy.
I love getting Cart boxes, but if I find a loose game for $20 and the boxed version is $100 I'm happy with the loose cart. Games should be played not just sit on a shelf and looked at.

Also I really hate those professionally graded games that are sealed in a plastic case and are overpriced 10-50x what they are worth. Anyone who buys one of these at those insane prices is down right nuts. If those games where only a little extra i can understand, but when I see a copy of SNES FFIII sealed and graded selling for over $1000 that's just crazy.

"Happy game hunting!!!"