Author Topic: Retro collecting is dying!  (Read 20669 times)

Re: Retro collecting is dying!
« Reply #30 on: January 28, 2013, 11:34:02 pm »
I personally HOPE that it dies. Prices are crazy now 'a' days. I could have sworn, I saw games dirt cheap to what I see them as now.  Sometimes I will add a game to my wishlist on amazon, come back to it in a year, and its 7 dollars more expensive! I wouldn't mind if everyone else suddenly lost interest.

madmax

« Reply #31 on: January 30, 2013, 01:20:47 am »
We are probably in a bubble. What I've come to realize lately is that collecting video games is really expensive. With the economy, lack of jobs, fiscal cliffs .etc Not everyone can afford such an expensive hobby.

If retro collecting slows down, prices should drop and then we can reap the benefits :D

darko

« Reply #32 on: January 30, 2013, 09:33:27 am »
We are probably in a bubble. What I've come to realize lately is that collecting video games is really expensive.

Honestly, it's not that expensive of a hobby. Most other hobbies cost more than video game collecting. I think that's why it's so popular. It's accessible to many and the barrier of entry is pretty low.

jcalder8

« Reply #33 on: January 30, 2013, 10:00:34 am »
We are probably in a bubble. What I've come to realize lately is that collecting video games is really expensive.

Honestly, it's not that expensive of a hobby. Most other hobbies cost more than video game collecting. I think that's why it's so popular. It's accessible to many and the barrier of entry is pretty low.
I agree with darko on this one, you can start a collection without too much money.

« Reply #34 on: January 30, 2013, 10:47:44 am »
I'm someone who started getting the itch only somewhat recently, but grew up with (and unfortunately sold) a lot of my NES, SNES, and PS1 stuff a long time ago.

One thing I've noticed though, is that everyone's definition of "retro" varies a bit. I don't have any interest in systems like Atari, Colecovision, NES, or N64, for instance, but have spent a lot of time figuring out which NeoGeo AES, PS1, PS2, Dreamcast, and Saturn games to hunt down, particularly Japanese imports. If I could afford it/had space, I'd be going for PCBs of Cave shooters, too. Point being, there's no singular "retro scene" in place, just a whole bunch of different niche markets, and supply/demand moves like the tides.

A lot of the ridiculous pricing is just down to certain series/games developing a particular reputation over time, along with sometimes low print runs (Ogre Battle on SNES, Valkyrie Profile on PS1, tons of Atlus games, etc), and sellers keep those prices jacked up because people are willing to pay that much. I don't like seeing so many $150+ sellers out there, but I also generally won't pay more than around $80 for anything.

soera

« Reply #35 on: January 30, 2013, 11:43:36 am »
I think the variation of retro definition depends on the nostalgia. If you grew up with an NES, then that ends up your retro system ... same thing for SNES/Dreamcast/PS1 and what have you.

I have only paid $100 or more for 2 games in my entire collection. One of them is actually Ni no Kuni but the other one is Suikoden II with guide. I dont like seeing games that sell for more than that either cause, in the end, it really is just a video game and when it comes to it my backlog is so huge that if I dont pick up the super expensive ones, my library wouldnt know the difference.

scott

« Reply #36 on: January 30, 2013, 12:21:18 pm »
I still say Retro is anything that isn't manufactured any longer.   :P
Now Playing: Persona 5 Scramble, Animal Crossing: New Horizons, Mario Kart 8

Brush Wizard - Mini Painting Blog | The SHMUP: BYOAC Build | Art Thread

jcalder8

« Reply #37 on: January 30, 2013, 12:32:17 pm »
I only put retro in the topic because I don't think current gaming is going anywhere. When collecting started to move from NES to SNES the NES collectors were still active and then the SNES collectors joined in. What seems to have happened, at least in the forums that I have gone to in the past is that the NES and SNES have moved on to other interests and there has been no major injection of N64 collectors. It seems like the majority of the community is leaving or has already left but resellers are still buying and pricing games higher than what the market will be able to hold.

« Reply #38 on: January 30, 2013, 01:30:27 pm »
I think the variation of retro definition depends on the nostalgia. If you grew up with an NES, then that ends up your retro system ... same thing for SNES/Dreamcast/PS1 and what have you.

Which is basically what I was driving at. I'm in my early 30's, so I grew up mainly with the classic Nintendo, Sega, and SNK (a friend actually had a Neo!) stuff, as well as a pretty thriving arcade scene. So it makes sense that I'm mostly interested in 2D, 16-bit JRPGs, shmups, and fighting games :)

I'd imagine some of the shifts that happen in the market are old-school gamers dipping their toes into new stuff more heavily once in awhile, or newer gamers deciding to check out old stuff and having no proper frame of reference, too. Seems to also be a lot of variation between people who are OK with loose carts/discs vs. those of us who will only buy stuff in the box, near-mint, etc.

« Reply #39 on: January 30, 2013, 03:34:19 pm »
I don't know because they keep coming up with machines that play snes/ genesis/nes or the atari with 1000 games or whatever. This would put them back in manufacturing in away.. but I don't believe Retro will die... because this kinda way seems to be done for years. I mean Antique Malls are still around.. an who would need an old ice pick other than to have it or holding paper towel roll.. darn you mom an your weird antique collections. You see Collecting old stuff will always be around..
Currently Playing - Plants Vs. Zombies: Warfare (PC) / Looking for Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance II Manual

tripredacus

« Reply #40 on: January 31, 2013, 09:03:47 pm »
I personally HOPE that it dies. Prices are crazy now 'a' days. I could have sworn, I saw games dirt cheap to what I see them as now.  Sometimes I will add a game to my wishlist on amazon, come back to it in a year, and its 7 dollars more expensive! I wouldn't mind if everyone else suddenly lost interest.

This is happening with a lot of hobbies. The ones I am involved in: video games, transformers (action figures), arcade... I can see it but I know why it is happening. A big part of the problem is those "reality" shows that give uneducated opinions and often inflated facts. This is something worse than the Ebay age where people looked at listing price and not completed price. Now many people have an over-inflated sense of value on their stuff, which is causing this price hike problem.

Ebay is worse now because of fools and shills. There was one well documented case of an uncommon Transformers bootleg selling for hundreds of dollars more than it was worth, partly because of this. Let's not even bring up that NES-001 thing.

Another problem is that some cities have gotten retro retail shops, like mine, that is over-inflating prices on things they sell. Who in their right mind would buy SMB3 (NES) for $25? Well the shop near me sells it at that price. Its a problem and I'm not sure if the market will correct itself soon. I certainly hope so!

It is still worrisome.

« Reply #41 on: January 31, 2013, 10:39:27 pm »
oh  yes, these retro game stores that inflate prices have to stop, I really don't come into a store that has prices like ebay, I'll go to ebay for that.

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #42 on: January 31, 2013, 10:42:58 pm »
Goodwill is pretty much the only place I can find good deals on video games anymore. Even the local flea market sellers thinks they have gold on their hands if they come across an NES cartridge.

« Reply #43 on: January 31, 2013, 11:40:42 pm »
retro games stores seem to base their price on ebay or Amazon.. I once walked into Pawnshops that do the same thing... It was like really your going to sell me this PSP for 150(awhile back) an I could get this from ebay for 125?? Really I couldn't get him to go below 140 an pretty much left the place with a sour taste in my mouth....
Currently Playing - Plants Vs. Zombies: Warfare (PC) / Looking for Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance II Manual

darko

« Reply #44 on: January 31, 2013, 11:59:03 pm »
I was pondering video game pricing earlier this evening. It's pretty much a given than if you collect you more than likely grew up playing video games. Video games are more than likely going to continue on as one of Generation Y's (and younger) primary sources of entertainment. This will, in turn, provide a fairly stable marketplace and a perpetual pool of collectors for years to come. The number of rare titles will diminish as we progress further away from physical media, but there will more than likely always be some form of demand present. Video games are part of what define Generation Y and most of us will continue to purchase and play video games until we are physically or mentally unable to do so.

Demand will fluctuate from console to console and from game to game. Prices will (obviously) follow demand. However, I have a very difficult time believing that we are in a true "bubble". As those of us who collect continue to grow older and our disposable incomes increase, it will become easier and easier to justify the price of what we want be it video games, cars, houses, etc. This should keep prices pretty stable on an average basis. Does this mean that Earthbound will always be over $200 for cart only? No. However, I highly doubt it will permanently fall below the $60-$100 range.

History tells us that the best time to buy games at a discount is during the first few years of a new console cycle. When new systems come out the games for their predecessors drop as stores make way for new inventory. It's all about supply versus demand coupled with what someone is willing to pay. Unfortunately, I don't see an enormous bubble like many of you seem to.