Author Topic: Next Gen Announcement coming?  (Read 12840 times)

scott

Re: Next Gen Announcement coming?
« Reply #75 on: February 20, 2013, 10:09:00 pm »
Why in the FUCK is the processor only going to be clocked to 1.6GHz??? I don't need my gaming console to be Energy Star certified...I need it to be badass.

Ha, welcome to the "next generation"?
Now Playing: Persona 5 Scramble, Animal Crossing: New Horizons, Mario Kart 8

Brush Wizard - Mini Painting Blog | The SHMUP: BYOAC Build | Art Thread

insektmute

« Reply #76 on: February 20, 2013, 11:04:18 pm »
I'm going to sound like Sony Defense Force for a moment here, but as someone who builds computers, I can't shut up on this topic. It doesn't help that coworkers of mine thought the hard drive was only 8GB, until I explained that memory and drive space are different things.

Anyway, clock speeds say absolutely nothing about performance. It's instructions per clock that count, and 9 times out of 10, that info isn't openly published. That aside, I'd put money on the processor setting itself at 1.6GHz as a baseline during idle, but scaling performance up a bit as the game or app you're running demands, which is how most processors are set to run out of the box unless you manually set them to run full bore all the time. Judging from the basic info mentioned on the CPU so far, this thing is probably based on AMD's Trinity series of CPU+GPU processors, which means it hits reasonably close to lower end AMD and Intel chips, but without generating a shitload of heat or draining power like a sieve.

Take into account what it would do to the price for them to include something akin to Core i5-3570K (around $220) or FX-8320 (I paid $120 for mine), and the fact that higher power consumption and heat means a beefier power supply, capacitors with higher operating tolerances, etc, and this really is about the best compromise between price/performance we could possibly hope for.

This next gen is mostly going to come down to build quality, extra features, and exclusives, not who has a bigger dick.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2013, 11:09:23 pm by insektmute »

scott

« Reply #77 on: February 20, 2013, 11:29:35 pm »
I'm thinking that based on Nintendo and Sony's showings so far, I won't be choosing sides until deep in the generation. But currently Nintendo has me leaning that way with the new monolith game.

If it does turn out to be the next PS2 in terms of quality titles and hardware, Sony may win me back. But in the last gen the PS3 was pretty meh for me and I won't come back easy.

If Microsoft continues on this media center path with their next console. Which i think it will, I don't think I'll be remaining with them. So its really down to two choices at that point.
Now Playing: Persona 5 Scramble, Animal Crossing: New Horizons, Mario Kart 8

Brush Wizard - Mini Painting Blog | The SHMUP: BYOAC Build | Art Thread

sin2beta

« Reply #78 on: February 20, 2013, 11:47:30 pm »
I'm going to sound like Sony Defense Force for a moment here, but as someone who builds computers, I can't shut up on this topic. It doesn't help that coworkers of mine thought the hard drive was only 8GB, until I explained that memory and drive space are different things.

Anyway, clock speeds say absolutely nothing about performance. It's instructions per clock that count, and 9 times out of 10, that info isn't openly published. That aside, I'd put money on the processor setting itself at 1.6GHz as a baseline during idle, but scaling performance up a bit as the game or app you're running demands, which is how most processors are set to run out of the box unless you manually set them to run full bore all the time. Judging from the basic info mentioned on the CPU so far, this thing is probably based on AMD's Trinity series of CPU+GPU processors, which means it hits reasonably close to lower end AMD and Intel chips, but without generating a shitload of heat or draining power like a sieve.

Take into account what it would do to the price for them to include something akin to Core i5-3570K (around $220) or FX-8320 (I paid $120 for mine), and the fact that higher power consumption and heat means a beefier power supply, capacitors with higher operating tolerances, etc, and this really is about the best compromise between price/performance we could possibly hope for.

This next gen is mostly going to come down to build quality, extra features, and exclusives, not who has a bigger dick.

While this is true, I don't know of a x86 processor being mass produced right now that is anything near the 1.6 GHz. I am familiar with the real important parts of a CPU. Both from Computer Engineering courses in college and being a Mac fan during the PPC days when we used to always have to explain RISC vs CISC. (I still hate CISC)

The only thing I have actually seen announced on the CPU is that it is a "high-end" x86. x86 at least gives us some information on clock speed. Even though intel architecture is basically all that is out there and there is a lot of variation, there is still a low-end and high-end. PPC and motorolla chips would have made a low clock speed a little more understandable. But a lot comes down to... do we even know the speed yet? When I searched I could not find anything.

The CPU will be lower than PC due to heat, cost, and dependance on GPU.

I think most of the comments on the clock speed were in reply to the humorous nature of it and Darko's comment. I don't care who you are, Darko's comment was funny. 
UPDATED 01/22/2016 New Ages of SEGA "Space Slalom" is now on....
SegaNerds.com: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t7J9ZbGNB-c

insektmute

« Reply #79 on: February 21, 2013, 01:19:37 am »
While this is true, I don't know of a x86 processor being mass produced right now that is anything near the 1.6 GHz. I am familiar with the real important parts of a CPU. Both from Computer Engineering courses in college and being a Mac fan during the PPC days when we used to always have to explain RISC vs CISC. (I still hate CISC)

The only thing I have actually seen announced on the CPU is that it is a "high-end" x86. x86 at least gives us some information on clock speed. Even though intel architecture is basically all that is out there and there is a lot of variation, there is still a low-end and high-end. PPC and motorolla chips would have made a low clock speed a little more understandable. But a lot comes down to... do we even know the speed yet? When I searched I could not find anything.

The CPU will be lower than PC due to heat, cost, and dependance on GPU.

I think most of the comments on the clock speed were in reply to the humorous nature of it and Darko's comment. I don't care who you are, Darko's comment was funny.

The CPU market is kind of up in the air right now, which actually made it really tough to plan out the build I'm working toward right now. Intel has Haswell coming down the pipe, where it's all about low power, and AMD is doing... who knows what. Floundering mostly, which is sad, though they're offering quite a bit considering the price difference.

I've seen quite a few comments mentioning that the PS4 uses a Jaguar core, but it's probably custom designed to meet Sony's requirements - http://www.techpowerup.com/180394/AMD-quot-Jaguar-quot-Micro-architecture-Takes-the-Fight-to-Atom-with-AVX-SSE4-Quad-Core.html

insektmute

« Reply #80 on: February 21, 2013, 01:24:59 am »
I'm thinking that based on Nintendo and Sony's showings so far, I won't be choosing sides until deep in the generation. But currently Nintendo has me leaning that way with the new monolith game.

If it does turn out to be the next PS2 in terms of quality titles and hardware, Sony may win me back. But in the last gen the PS3 was pretty meh for me and I won't come back easy.

If Microsoft continues on this media center path with their next console. Which i think it will, I don't think I'll be remaining with them. So its really down to two choices at that point.

I have a gut feeling that I'll wind up going PS4 for my main console, but will wind up picking up a Wii U despite not liking the hardware, just because of Nintendo's first-party stuff and the odd slice of hardcore craziness like Bayonetta 2.

As for Xbox, I'm pretty soured on them for a lot of reasons, particularly the crap build quality of pre-Slim models. The media center thing coming around front and center would definitely be off-putting, but knowing me, it'll always come down to whether there are enough games I want to play. I wound up with all three consoles this gen, which I definitely hadn't planned on back when I first got my 360.

darko

« Reply #81 on: February 21, 2013, 01:31:40 am »
...but as someone who builds computers...

Welcome to the club!

Anyway, clock speeds say absolutely nothing about performance. It's instructions per clock that count, and 9 times out of 10, that info isn't openly published.

You don't say?

Not trying to be the biggest dick or anything, but my post was obviously a joke.

WiiU? Meh
PS4? Probably
Xbox? We'll see

« Last Edit: February 21, 2013, 01:33:23 am by darko »

psydswipe

« Reply #82 on: February 21, 2013, 06:11:33 am »
I thought it was underwhelming  :P While I understand the basics of the tech, I don't pay a lot of attention to those. I know the graphics will be good, that's a given. I'm still interested but they didn't tell me anything I wanted to know, namely the price and whether the online features will cost anything, nor did they actually show what it looks like. The two games I'd like to play I'll probably end up playing on the current gen systems or PC if they're definitely on those (Watch Dogs and Destiny). I don't really care about Infamous or Killzone games. They're likely holding back some of the good stuff for E3.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2013, 06:13:37 am by psydswipe »

htimreimer

« Reply #83 on: February 21, 2013, 10:29:21 am »
this was very disappointing conference,some of it was impressive like the graphics and some of the gaikai stuff was cool but for the most part stuff like social features,share button,some of the games and the weird mix of hardcore gaming and casual gaming marketing left me vary underwhelmed

« Reply #84 on: February 21, 2013, 05:25:13 am »
Next gen I'll be sticking with my PC.  I was a huge fan of PS1 and PS2, I'm still bitter about what Sony has done with the PS3.  Removing multiple features that convinced me to go Playstation again over Wii/XBox.  They are calling the PS4 a media center, that's also what they said about the PS3.  The browser is still complete GARBAGE after 7 years, it only supports a couple ancient video formats.  I would prefer they finally update this stuff than come out with new hardware.  Next Gen is dead to me...

I just noticed they announced that PSN purchases won't transfer to the PS4... awesome.  I'm willing to bet they'll be available for purchase again though!
« Last Edit: February 21, 2013, 01:09:54 pm by varkias »

insektmute

« Reply #85 on: February 21, 2013, 02:05:46 pm »
You don't say?

Not trying to be the biggest dick or anything, but my post was obviously a joke.

I was responding to the "1.6GHz?! WTF!" sentiment in general, not ripping into you. Calm down.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2013, 02:07:22 pm by insektmute »

desocietas

« Reply #86 on: February 21, 2013, 02:13:36 pm »
I didn't watch the conference - did they mention anything about the Vita?  They'll probably wait until E3, but I thought I'd ask.
Currently playing:
FFXIV (PC), The Witcher (PC), Monster Hunter World: Iceborne (PS4)
twitch.tv/desocietas

« Reply #87 on: February 21, 2013, 02:27:42 pm »
this was very disappointing conference,some of it was impressive like the graphics and some of the gaikai stuff was cool but for the most part stuff like social features,share button,some of the games and the weird mix of hardcore gaming and casual gaming marketing left me vary underwhelmed

Welcome to Next Gen! I'm being serious too...

insektmute

« Reply #88 on: February 21, 2013, 02:32:05 pm »
I didn't watch the conference - did they mention anything about the Vita?  They'll probably wait until E3, but I thought I'd ask.

I didn't catch all of it, but there was a blurb about focusing more on Vita, and they'll be continuing cross-play w/ PS4 games. I think that's about it, but I'm hoping they'll say something about price cuts soon - need me a 32GB memory card, and I reallllly don't wanna pay the stupidly high price for one :/

htimreimer

« Reply #89 on: February 21, 2013, 02:36:23 pm »
the only thing vita related they talked about was remote play and thats about it also it will not be backwards compatible with the ps3
« Last Edit: February 21, 2013, 03:01:51 pm by htimreimer »