Author Topic: A Look Back at Your Favorite Wii Games  (Read 3135 times)

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

A Look Back at Your Favorite Wii Games
« on: February 03, 2013, 03:25:38 pm »
The Wii is pretty much done and over at this point. I know that there are still a few spatterings of releases here or there, but nothing major anymore.

So now that the innovative console is done and over, looking back at it what were some of your favorite titles for the console? Physical disc or Wii Ware included.

My top favorites for the system:

-Bit Trip Series (Wii Ware) - An audio and visual feast that will test your skills.

-Cave Story (Wii Ware) - One of the most underrated games of all-time. Metroidvania gameplay with a very charming setting and cast of characters and some puzzle and RPG elements thrown in.

-Donkey Kong Country Returns - I love the Donkey Kong Country series. The level-design and gameplay are just so well thought out in these games and they play almost rhythmically.

-Metroid Prime 3: Corruption - One of the best uses of the Wii's waggler...ahem, "WiiMote".

-Metroid: Other M - More story-driven than most Metroid games, but still a great game in a great series.

-New Super Mario Bros. Wii - Great traditional 2D Super Mario platforming, polished to that special Nintendo shine.

-Rayman: Origins - Beautiful both visually and musically and great 2D platforming.

-Super Mario All-Stars - If you don't already have these games individually, or the original release of this collection on the SNES; then I HIGHLY recommend getting this one. Some of the best platforming games, nay, some of the best games EVER on this collection.

-Super Paper Mario - Nice twist on 2D gameplay and it was a fun Mario game.

-Wii Sports & Sports Resort - Just plain fun to play with people.

I haven't had the chance to play Epic Mickey or Legend of Zelda: Twilight Sword yet, but would love to. To tell the truth, I haven't played Donkey Kong Country Returns other than in the store for a couple minutes. But I already know I love the Donkey Kong Country series so it just seems like a no-brainer for me (and it's only a matter of time before it's in my collection, I just haven't come across that deal on it yet).

I really like the Virtual Console service, too. It let me try out some games that were otherwise hard to find or too expense to be a practical purchase for me like Lords of Thunder on Sega CD, Chrono Trigger on SNES, and Breath of Fire 2 on SNES.

What were some of your favorites?
« Last Edit: February 03, 2013, 03:33:00 pm by burningdoom »

sin2beta

Re: A Look Back at Your Favorite Wii Games
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2013, 03:42:18 pm »
Sin and Punishment 2
Trauma series
Fire Emblem
Last Story
Smash Bros.
MadWorld
Rhythm Heaven
Tatsunoko Vs. Capcom
Xenoblade

These are some of my absolute favorites. The Wii got way too much of a bad reputation. There were some games that required waggle controls that should not hav (Marvel Ultimate Alliance 2). But I sincerely think the system will be looked at fondly with a LOT of great gems years down the line. I do feel bad for anyone trying to go for a complete wii collection though.
UPDATED 01/22/2016 New Ages of SEGA "Space Slalom" is now on....
SegaNerds.com: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t7J9ZbGNB-c

soera

« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2013, 04:15:49 pm »
I thought the Wii got a horrible rep too but thats how Nintendo plans their systems ... family oriented. I dont think I can name a full blown M rated Wii game.

Ill list a game that should be on this list. Mario Kart Wii. Its kind of cool to actually play a mario kart game and feel like you are literally steering.

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2013, 04:30:27 pm »
I dont think I can name a full blown M rated Wii game.

Resident Evil and House of the Dead games. Mad World. No More Heroes 1 & 2.

sin2beta

« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2013, 04:35:07 pm »

Resident Evil and House of the Dead games. Mad World. No More Heroes 1 & 2.

Don't forget "Bikini Zombie Slayers". 8)

soera

« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2013, 04:35:22 pm »
Full blown M to me = GTA and the like ... games that use the word fuck!

sin2beta

« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2013, 04:36:56 pm »

I'm pretty sure Madworld does... a lot. But this could be me having just played anarchy reigns. House of the Dead Overkill was very much in that spirit as well.

jobocan

« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2013, 08:37:34 pm »
Punch-Out!
It's very much like the NES game but it is super fun and it doesn't seem to get that much love.

And I'm one of the people who actually liked Other M... I don't really get why people hate the game so much... Yeah the writing is horrible... But who cares? It's a game, nothing matters if the gameplay is fun, and here it is so... yeah, Other M is good.

Otherwise... Mario, Zelda, Smash, Donkey Kong, both Kirby games are good... You know, all the stuff we usually buy Nintendo consoles for :P

What I wonder is why rating matters... It doesn't, at all. Nintendo has always been about making games that are fun. It has nothing to do with being family-oriented in my mind. It's about making fun gameplay, rather than peppering the game with "fuck"/blood/guns to make kids think they're mature and "hardcore" for playing them.

scott

« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2013, 09:31:54 pm »
I loved Donkey Kong Country Returns. It felt like an upgraded version of the original games! Retro did an excellent job on it, for sure. The only problem I have with it is the lack of ability to use the Classic Controller to play it w/ the original game's control scheme. Other than that it is excellent.

Xenoblade Chronicles. Amazing game, I love it and I think it is one of the best RPGs of the generation, maybe even one of the best ever. Sure it could have been prettier on a HD system, but it's still a very beautiful game and is really fun to play.
Now Playing: Persona 5 Scramble, Animal Crossing: New Horizons, Mario Kart 8

Brush Wizard - Mini Painting Blog | The SHMUP: BYOAC Build | Art Thread

soera

« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2013, 09:53:04 pm »
Oh Im not personally concerned with games that have stuff like cussing and what not. But Nintendo is. And thats why a lot of the people who play stuff like Skyrim, GTA, CoD and what not are not going to be interested in the system and give it such a horrible reputation. I like my Wii. It was my first of the 3 systems of that generation. And I have 2 of them.

Man, I need to get me a copy of Xenoblade. It looks great and I have heard nothing but praise about it.

redblaze57

PRO Supporter

« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2013, 11:30:33 pm »

I'm pretty sure Madworld does... a lot. But this could be me having just played anarchy reigns. House of the Dead Overkill was very much in that spirit as well.
not to mention

sin2beta

« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2013, 11:36:04 pm »
Oh Im not personally concerned with games that have stuff like cussing and what not. But Nintendo is. And thats why a lot of the people who play stuff like Skyrim, GTA, CoD and what not are not going to be interested in the system and give it such a horrible reputation. I like my Wii. It was my first of the 3 systems of that generation. And I have 2 of them.

Man, I need to get me a copy of Xenoblade. It looks great and I have heard nothing but praise about it.

I understand what you are saying and agree. I think this was one of the driving forces between the SEGA vs Nintendo 16-bit war. For example, the blood in Mortal Kombat. Even the Genesis version had it censored unless you put in a cheat code. But it altered the perception people had of the consoles. One cannot deny that Nintendo has that reputation. And there are not a LOT of mature games. I can name some, but not a lot.

« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2013, 02:00:37 am »
Zak and Wiki
This space for rent.  Affordable rates.  Inquire within.

jobocan

« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2013, 07:41:30 am »

I understand what you are saying and agree. I think this was one of the driving forces between the SEGA vs Nintendo 16-bit war. For example, the blood in Mortal Kombat. Even the Genesis version had it censored unless you put in a cheat code. But it altered the perception people had of the consoles. One cannot deny that Nintendo has that reputation. And there are not a LOT of mature games. I can name some, but not a lot.

I thought that Mortal Kombat thing in the 16 bit gen was kinda ridiculous... I mean, sure, the Genesis version had blood... but it kinda sucked compared to the SNES version :P
And then MK2 had blood so... Yeah, I still don't get it.

darko

« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2013, 09:59:16 am »

I thought that Mortal Kombat thing in the 16 bit gen was kinda ridiculous... I mean, sure, the Genesis version had blood... but it kinda sucked compared to the SNES version :P
And then MK2 had blood so... Yeah, I still don't get it.

It had to do with the fact that it was basically the goriest, widely popular, game that had ever been released. That's really the only reason that it was such a big deal. It's also the reason we have game ratings in the US.