Author Topic: Atelier Ayesha  (Read 2491 times)

ffxik

Atelier Ayesha
« on: February 12, 2013, 04:29:16 pm »
I have been out of the loop for a while since my internet was terminated.  I was surprised to see that a new Atelier game was being announced.  So I happily made my way over to NISA's homepage to pre-order the game to my surprise.  It's not listed.  Then to an even bigger surprise that Tecmo/Koei is the ones behind this one.  All I can say is that I have been a fan of the games since Atelier Iris on PS2.  It was fun while it lasted though.  Since it's not a hacky-slashy, brawler.  I don't see them continuing with it.

insektmute

Re: Atelier Ayesha
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2013, 12:31:00 pm »
I have been out of the loop for a while since my internet was terminated.  I was surprised to see that a new Atelier game was being announced.  So I happily made my way over to NISA's homepage to pre-order the game to my surprise.  It's not listed.  Then to an even bigger surprise that Tecmo/Koei is the ones behind this one.  All I can say is that I have been a fan of the games since Atelier Iris on PS2.  It was fun while it lasted though.  Since it's not a hacky-slashy, brawler.  I don't see them continuing with it.

Kind of a weird release on this one, as Koei is doing distribution, but NIS is still doing the localization. Probably explains the lack of an LE, though.

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2013, 01:49:41 pm »
Huh; didn't know there wasn't going to be any LE...

Have you guys played any of the (PS3) "Arland" trilogy of Atelier games?

I'm playing the 1st one (*Rorona*) right now -and- I plan to move right into the 2nd one (*Totori*), and then, the 3rd/last one (*Meruru*)...and *finally* clear the whole trilogy from my backlog  ::)

I'm actually having a pretty good time w/ it, so far  8)
"Attempts must be made, even when there can be no hope.
 The alternative is despair.
 And betimes some wonder is wrought to redeem us"

insektmute

« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2013, 01:57:17 pm »
I suck, and Atelier Rorona is currently the ONLY one of the Atelier games I own. I want to rectify that, starting with Atelier Iris and Atelier Iris 2, then Atelier Totori, but it's keeps being pushed back :/

Very charming game, from what I've played of it. It's my understanding that Totori and Meruru are generally considered substantially improved over Rorona, though.

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2013, 02:57:20 pm »
I suck, and Atelier Rorona is currently the ONLY one of the Atelier games I own. I want to rectify that, starting with Atelier Iris and Atelier Iris 2, then Atelier Totori, but it's keeps being pushed back :/

Very charming game, from what I've played of it. It's my understanding that Totori and Meruru are generally considered substantially improved over Rorona, though.

Yeah, I'd say that you're absolutey right.

I *suck*, too, though...because I also already own all 3 of the (PS2) "Iris" games...*ALL* un-played :(

"Charming" is also a great & very appropriate adjective to use w/ Rorona :)

-AND- I'm *very* intentionally playing Rorona, Totori, and then, Meruru - in chronological order - because, like you, I'd heard that Totori & Meruru get progressively better/improved from Rorona...and...

...if there's *ONE* thing that *really* vexes me, it's

-Playing a game series 'backwards' -and- having to *REGRESS*/Lose-out by having fewer features/tweaks with each new game that I play...instead of conversely...being able to be excited & look forward to each game getting "better"  >:(

ffxik

« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2013, 03:52:23 pm »

Kind of a weird release on this one, as Koei is doing distribution, but NIS is still doing the localization. Probably explains the lack of an LE, though.

Still though.  I guess both companies cater to an niche audience.  Still I hope Tecmo/Koei release the rest of the games.  I just can't see that happening, especially since most of the stateside releases have been pretty much the same game with a a new skin, or a tactical iteration there of. 

ffxik

« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2013, 04:00:58 pm »

I *suck*, too, though...because I also already own all 3 of the (PS2) "Iris" games...*ALL* un-played :(

-AND- I'm *very* intentionally playing Rorona, Totori, and then, Meruru - in chronological order - because, like you, I'd heard that Totori & Meruru get progressively better/improved from Rorona...and...

-Playing a game series 'backwards' -and- having to *REGRESS*/Lose-out by having fewer features/tweaks with each new game that I play...instead of conversely...being able to be excited & look forward to each game getting "better"  >:(

That doesn't bother me too much.  I expect the games to get better with subsequent releases.  So playing them backwards, that kinda happens.  :-\  However playing them in order and having them regress is quite the other. 

Well I know I'm not one for remakes but there is five or six other games, that I wish they would bring over on a compilation.  It doesn't have to be dolled up or have tons of bells and whistles.  Just the games translated and I would be happy.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2013, 04:04:20 pm by ffxik »

insektmute

« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2013, 06:18:47 pm »

I really need to get off my butt and pick up the Atelier Iris stuff, especially since they're all still somewhat reasonably priced. Like you, they'll probably sit for awhile (like you :p), but at least I'll have them before the inevitably price spike :)

Hrm, I do get paid tonight...

But yeah, I think games should get better as you progress through a series, but it's scary how rare that actually is. In Atelier's case, I've heard Atelier Iris 3 is actually among the worst!

desocietas

« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2013, 07:44:21 pm »
I've been curious about the Atelier games after having thoroughly enjoyed what I've played of Atelier Iris.  I really liked the concept and art and such.  I played it as a rental and have been meaning to purchase it ever since returning it.

The guys at Unskippable seem to have been having a lot of fun making fun of a lot of the intro scenes for several of the Atelier games.
Currently playing:
FFXIV (PC), The Witcher (PC), Monster Hunter World: Iceborne (PS4)
twitch.tv/desocietas

ffxik

« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2013, 02:14:54 am »

I really need to get off my butt and pick up the Atelier Iris stuff, especially since they're all still somewhat reasonably priced. Like you, they'll probably sit for awhile (like you :p), but at least I'll have them before the inevitably price spike :)

Hrm, I do get paid tonight...

But yeah, I think games should get better as you progress through a series, but it's scary how rare that actually is. In Atelier's case, I've heard Atelier Iris 3 is actually among the worst!

A lot of people rag on that one because of how Grand Phantasm was set up compared to Eternal Mana, and The Azoth of Destiny.  Only one town that acts as a hub. Only 5 or so dungeons, and only 3 party members.  In all honestly though it feels like a stripped down Mana Khemia.  If you have played that one.  By and by I found the game to be enjoyable. 

insektmute

« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2013, 10:42:26 am »
A lot of people rag on that one because of how Grand Phantasm was set up compared to Eternal Mana, and The Azoth of Destiny.  Only one town that acts as a hub. Only 5 or so dungeons, and only 3 party members.  In all honestly though it feels like a stripped down Mana Khemia.  If you have played that one.  By and by I found the game to be enjoyable.

I'll probably grab it regardless. There are so many games that, on paper, sound really terrible, but are actually fun when you sit down to play them. Like, with Persona 3, I absolutely fell in love with it, but trying to describe it to people and make it sound fun is virtually impossible. "Uh yeah, you basically go through this tower of pretty identical floors, repeatedly fighting battles to level up your doods, and when you aren't doing that, you make your character go to high school." Just doesn't work!

Gonna grab at least the first game this week, I think, so I'll get to 3 sooner or later. Damn this thread! :p

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2013, 10:51:17 am »
I'll probably grab it regardless. There are so many games that, on paper, sound really terrible, but are actually fun when you sit down to play them. Like, with Persona 3, I absolutely fell in love with it, but trying to describe it to people and make it sound fun is virtually impossible.

This.

So much!

Insektmute's post gets the (worthless & meaningless...but rare & never given-out lightly:) "DISGAENIAC-Seal-of-Approval"...

...for posting something that I agree with so whole-heartedly  ;)

desocietas

« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2013, 11:20:12 am »
I'll probably grab it regardless. There are so many games that, on paper, sound really terrible, but are actually fun when you sit down to play them. Like, with Persona 3, I absolutely fell in love with it, but trying to describe it to people and make it sound fun is virtually impossible.

This.

So much!

Insektmute's post gets the (worthless & meaningless...but rare & never given-out lightly:) "DISGAENIAC-Seal-of-Approval"...

...for posting something that I agree with so whole-heartedly  ;)

Ha, it's interesting because you describe it completely different from how I would've.  I guess it shows how differently we view the various aspects of the game.

If I recall correctly, I remember getting the game and being so blown away, I'd have to tell other friends about it.

My version probably sounded something like this:
It's this game where you're a kid at a new high school and you have to make friends with people and go to club meetings.  You answer questions in class and do homework and can get a job and stuff.  And then at midnight every night, you and your friends fight demons by "shooting yourselves in the head" with this fake gun.  And the music's really good.
Currently playing:
twitch.tv/desocietas

scott

« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2013, 11:22:17 am »
It's this game where you're a kid at a new high school and you have to make friends with people and go to club meetings.  You answer questions in class and do homework and can get a job and stuff.  And then at midnight every night, you and your friends fight demons by "shooting yourselves in the head" with this fake gun.  And the music's really good.

I think that's the exact way you explained it to me.
Now Playing: Persona 5 Scramble, Animal Crossing: New Horizons, Mario Kart 8

Brush Wizard - Mini Painting Blog | The SHMUP: BYOAC Build | Art Thread

desocietas

« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2013, 11:22:35 am »

I think that's the exact way you explained it to me.

lol see, it totally worked
Currently playing:
twitch.tv/desocietas