Author Topic: What's your best gaming deal to date?  (Read 7527 times)

scott

What's your best gaming deal to date?
« on: July 22, 2011, 02:17:37 pm »
What's your best deal to date? Roughly how much did you save and where was it hidden?

Like i said on our Facebook page, I snagged a complete copy of Albert Odyssey: Legend of Eldean on Amazon for $60-ish. The same game, regardless of disc art, sells for $80 to $100 on ebay. The downfall of Amazon buying is, I don't know which disc art this one is, but that's not a big deal. I'm just looking forward to playing it and fill the slot for the time being. I'll cross the variant collecting bridge when I get to it.
Now Playing: Persona 5 Scramble, Animal Crossing: New Horizons, Mario Kart 8

Brush Wizard - Mini Painting Blog | The SHMUP: BYOAC Build | Art Thread

Re: What's your best gaming deal to date?
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2011, 02:54:59 pm »
I got paid $70 to own a copy of Panzer Dragoon saga, and got paid $300 to own a copy of spider-man web of fire. Both are/were complete and in great condition. Sold Panzer Dragoon Saga kind of regret that, but still have web of fire, which is an awful game by the way. I also have had a few copies of Suikoden II that I only paid around $10 for when it was still fairly new, one at target on clearance and one at a local game store. Sold both copes for over $100. Kind of wish I would have bought more of the ones at target since they where new and unopened, but I had no clue they would be worth so much at the time. I also really wish I still had a copy for myself.

tpugmire

« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2011, 03:48:25 pm »
If we are limiting this to purchases, I bought a copy of the Namco Ms. Pac-Man for $5.00 and it sells on ebay for roughly $50.00.  I found it at Play N Trade.  Other notable deals that I've found over the years are:

An Atari 800XL complete with a handful of carts for $20.00 from a neighbor.

A Turbografx 16 and power supply, no controllers though for $12.00 from a thrift store.

4 Turbografx 16 controllers, a Turbotap, and original RF switch for the aforementioned console for $10.00 at the swap meet.

If we are counting stuff that was free, then I have even more!
This message was brought to you by Tootsie Rolls, the official candy of vgcollect.com

matt

« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2011, 04:46:55 pm »
I ran into an old friend who back in the day was a die-hard Saturn fan. He was interested in modding his original Xbox and proposed a trade of his entire Saturn collection if I modded his Xbox. He showed up with about 5 giant bags full of games...

The collection included Panzer Dragoon I, II, Saga, Albert Odyssey, Shining Force III, Guardian Heroes, Burning Rangers, Dragon Force and about 80 other games all in mint condition. I went on to nearly complete the collection before selling it all off a few years back.

darko

« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2011, 04:48:13 pm »
Bubble Bobble 2 for the NES in the box for $4.99.

scott

« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2011, 05:41:26 pm »
I'm truly jealous of @matt and this one time awesome Saturn collection.

« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2011, 10:26:46 pm »
TurboGrafx-16 w/ CD attachment + 10 games for $20 from a friend back in High School...

He regrets it to this day! lol

« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2011, 07:14:22 pm »
That's a crazy story, Matt. I have a few myself.
1. CiB, never opened copy of Mean 18 for the Atari 7800 for $3. This can sell for around $60 easily.
2. I also recently got a Sega CD with the cords (most important part) and a controller, and it even came with the gen 2 genesis still attached for $8. This can sell for $45.

scott

« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2011, 09:10:51 am »
I can officially say, Albert Odyssey was a super good deal.

1) The case has no cracks, or broken hinges.
2) The disc looks mint, no surface marks or scratches at all.
3) It's the Group Disc art, so that's a plus.
4) All the artwork and the manual are in great shape. Though it is missing the Working Designs order form.

Still in all, totally worth the savings when compared to ebay.

« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2011, 10:18:51 am »
I picked up a Mortal Kombat Tournament Edition 360 fight stick pack at Best Buy a couple weeks ago on clearance for $60, marked down from $150. It included a new copy of MK and some DLC, which I already owned, so I sold that stuff on eBay for $40. $20 for the stick!

Also found some family's old NES system in a beat-up Snyder's pretzels box at Goodwill last year. The box was Saran wrapped big time to prevent water damage I guess. Inside I found CIB copies of Burgertime, Play Action Football, All-Pro Basketball, Bible Adventures, and Big Bird's Hide & Speak, an NES console, 4 original controllers, an NES Satellite, all the console's paperwork, and even the original 1989 receipt for the thing! Everything works great and is in really good condition. Goodwill charged me $15 for all of it. That was a nice day :)

madmax

« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2011, 08:28:20 pm »
I just recently snagged FFII (USA) on ebay for $50. It's complete, everything is extremely mint. The guy offered free shipping to Canada (from USA) and that cost him $10. A copy like mine sells for about $80-90 before shipping.

I found it just as it was listed.

atariboy

« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2011, 10:14:37 pm »
Ive had several, But the best would Probably have to be Sonic Adventure Limited Edition for the Dreamcast. I found 2 of them from 2 different yard sales in same small town on the same day. One was $0.50 and the other was $0.25, both were only disc. One disc I haven't gotten to work but the other works fine.
other notable finds:
Sega Genesis CDX - $8
Shining force for Sega CD - $1 complete box not even broken and disc in perfect shape.
Atari 2600 - Swordquest: Waterworld for $4 Cart only from flea market in Cali.
Sega 32X - The Amazing Spiderman: Web of Fire complete in box $2 from same Flea market in Cali.

I've gotten lucky throughout the years with flea markets, thrift stores, yard sales and even pawn shops, I don't think I have ever paid more than $20 for any game that I didn't buy new.
Now Playing: Lollipop Chainsaw

« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2011, 07:30:42 pm »
I don't know if it's my best deal EVER, but I thought it was a good deal and I just got it a few days ago. It's a boxed and complete Sega Master System II. And when I say complete, it has the original system baggie and controller/power adapter baggies. I got it for 40 dollars. The box is in great shape, and the system itself looks brand new. I'm really happy with it.

Snapbucket

Snapbucket

Snapbucket

Snapbucket
I'M ALWAYS LOOKING TO BUY COMPLETE COPIES OF SEGA CD AND SEGA SATURN GAMES, SO PLEASE CONTACT ME IF YOU HAVE ANY.

matt

« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2011, 09:58:05 am »
ugh I need to get an SMS II. I remember seeing them stacked up at a discount toy store for $20 years back. *cries*

« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2011, 11:17:27 am »
ugh I need to get an SMS II. I remember seeing them stacked up at a discount toy store for $20 years back. *cries*

Ditto! They were like $20 at K B Toys... :*(