Author Topic: What are your other hobbies?  (Read 10292 times)

dstone

PRO Supporter

Re: What are your other hobbies?
« Reply #15 on: October 01, 2011, 05:01:10 pm »
I tinker here and there with various projects. I'm the technical director at my church; all the little upgrades and such I do to the audio/video system could almost be counted as a hobby in itself. I also run sound for a barbershop gospel quartet that sometimes sings with a piano and string bass - built and maintain the sound system that is used when we do a bit of traveling.

I also do a little bit of web design on the side, but that's mostly constrained to HTML/CSS stuff. I'd say my other biggest hobby (outside of games) is woodworking. I made my coffee table a while back, got a few other small projects in the works.

scott

« Reply #16 on: October 01, 2011, 05:27:01 pm »
That coffee table is so awesome.
Now Playing: Persona 5 Scramble, Animal Crossing: New Horizons, Mario Kart 8

Brush Wizard - Mini Painting Blog | The SHMUP: BYOAC Build | Art Thread

urbanchaos

« Reply #17 on: October 01, 2011, 10:19:12 pm »
^^^
I second that statement !

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #18 on: December 20, 2012, 12:24:49 am »
I'm of course a gamer, or I wouldn't be here. I prefer classic games to modern games a lot of the time, and I'm a collector.

Outside of that, I have a few hobbies:

-Comic Book Collector - I'm nearly 30 and I've been collecting comics as far back as I can remember. My dad collected comics so I was exposed at a very young age. I'm most a DC & Marvel guy and always have been. I'm not into Japanese Manga, though.

-Metal-Head - Since I was about 11 years old I've been a metal-head. Started off on Metallica & Megadeth and it just grew from there.

-Sci-Fi & Horror Movie Fan - I'm really, really into sci-fi movies. Love me some Star Trek, Serenity, Stargate, Sliders, Robocop, Terminator, Alien, Robocop...you name it.

-Horror Movie Fan - Admittedly, I seemed to be a lot more into it when I was younger than I am now. But I still really enjoy the classics. I particularly love the 70s & 80s gorefests, and zombie-flicks.

turf

PRO Supporter

« Reply #19 on: December 20, 2012, 12:44:24 am »
This thread came back from the dead.

I don't remember what free time is. I have a 3 year old. That takes all my time.  I'm kidding.  It's not bad.

As for hobbies, mine is Brazillian Jiu Jitsu. I've been training for about 4 years and still love it. I love coaching and helping train guys to fight MMA. It's a great sport. I hate getting punched in the face though, so I stick to the wrestling and Jiu Jitsu.

blipcs76

« Reply #20 on: December 20, 2012, 10:37:03 am »
I'm also pretty big into movies.  I've been collecting movies since the mid 90's and while I've ditched most of my VHS stuff, I've accumulated about 800 DVDs and 200 blu-rays since I got my first DVD player in 1999.

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #21 on: December 20, 2012, 11:17:45 am »
Man, I'm never getting rid of my VHSs. Some of the best 80s and 90s films ever I have in a large VHS collection. I feel it's not different than retro-gaming. As long as your VCR works, there's nothing wrong with owning VHSs. I do have DVDs of course, too.

anton

« Reply #22 on: December 20, 2012, 11:21:18 am »
Man, I'm never getting rid of my VHSs.
I second that.

As for me, i love movies, especialy horror from the 80s 90s, i posted a pic in "game room" thread, though not everything is on this picture.
I love pinball machines, i used to go to the arcade room often, i'd like to have one in my apartment one day, but this cost a lot.

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

« Reply #23 on: December 20, 2012, 12:20:34 pm »
Let's see...

I definitely share the "hating getting punched in the face" hobby with Turf :P

I'm another "Adrenaline Junky" & like fast down-hill skiing, sky-diving, bungee-jumping...but...conversely...I also love chess, I'm an avid reader, and enjoy spending time at home w/ the g/f & Shadow (my dog) and not doing much of anything specific, sometimes!

I'm very interested in (and somewhat knowledgeable about) other culures, foreign languages, and the originations of words (etymology), too.

As much as I love gaming, I've found that, at times, I've spent more time reading about all things gaming (and about gaming's history) than I have spent actually *playing* the games.

And I like pina coladas...and walks on the beach...

;)
"Attempts must be made, even when there can be no hope.
 The alternative is despair.
 And betimes some wonder is wrought to redeem us"

« Reply #24 on: December 20, 2012, 12:27:01 pm »
When I have the time, I like painting and taking photos. Languages are my other huge love - not just practical stuff but studying (and reading!) ancient Egyptian and other lost tongues :)

pacpix

« Reply #25 on: December 20, 2012, 01:20:08 pm »
As much as I love gaming, I've found that, at times, I've spent more time reading about all things gaming (and about gaming's history) than I have spent actually *playing* the games.
I have that problem too!  Makes me mad when I had planned on beating a game and end up reading forums and history all day!  :-\
Currently Playing: Dark Souls: Remastered (Switch)

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

« Reply #26 on: December 20, 2012, 01:26:33 pm »
I have that problem too!  Makes me mad when I had planned on beating a game and end up reading forums and history all day!  :-\

Seriously...where the hell does all of that time go so quickly? :P
"Attempts must be made, even when there can be no hope.
 The alternative is despair.
 And betimes some wonder is wrought to redeem us"

scott

« Reply #27 on: December 20, 2012, 01:30:44 pm »
I do that too. But I also end up reading plot synopsis of games I either started playing and never had time to finish, or have never had and they are either super spendy  or hard to find.
Now Playing: Persona 5 Scramble, Animal Crossing: New Horizons, Mario Kart 8

Brush Wizard - Mini Painting Blog | The SHMUP: BYOAC Build | Art Thread

soera

« Reply #28 on: December 20, 2012, 08:21:57 pm »
I cant believe I havent responded here before.

My favorite hobby (even before gaming) is my Harley. I love the feel of being out on it. Its just peace, fuck the world.

I used to sell hot wheels about a dozen years ago and I found a favorite car : Rigor Motor. Now I actively collect every single paint style of the car (There are 21 styles now I believe).

Television wise is CSI. I have been watching since the pilot aired and still love it. I own every season on DVD (except my money situation atm hasnt let me buy 2 of this season yet)

Last, but not least, is body piercing. I got my first ear piercing in 1989 I think and a few years later I got my first couple of body piercings (eyebrow and nipples). Currently I have a 6 gauge helix, 2 16 gauge tragus, 16 gauge oracle with attachment, 14 gauge industrial, 2 4 gauge lobes, 14 gauge eyebrow, 12 gauge nasal bridge, 12 gauge septum, 12 gauge tongue, 14 gauge tongue web (the area under the tongue), 12 gauge labret, 8 gauge nipple (one got ripped out) and an 8 gauge navel.

artikskarab

« Reply #29 on: December 22, 2012, 02:23:10 am »
Apart from playing games I:
-Go to gaming, comic and anime conventions (PAX, Comic-Con, local conventions)
-Read books, graphic novels, comic books and mangas
-Listen to a lot of music (Favorite Band: Nightwish)
-Draw and write (even though I ain't that good)
Crying does not show your weakness... Crying means you have the strength to accept all of your emotions!
Now playing: Ratchet & Clank Collection - PS3