Author Topic: What are your other hobbies?  (Read 10293 times)

matt

Re: What are your other hobbies?
« Reply #30 on: December 22, 2012, 11:58:28 am »
I cant believe I havent responded here before.

My favorite hobby (even before gaming) is my Harley. I love the feel of being out on it. Its just peace, fuck the world.

I used to sell hot wheels about a dozen years ago and I found a favorite car : Rigor Motor. Now I actively collect every single paint style of the car (There are 21 styles now I believe).

I want a bike so bad. Each spring the get the itch but never pull the trigger.

scott

« Reply #31 on: December 22, 2012, 11:59:52 am »
The GF and I are talking about at least getting endorsements this spring/summer. I doubt I'll be able to afford a bike around then though.
Now Playing: Persona 5 Scramble, Animal Crossing: New Horizons, Mario Kart 8

Brush Wizard - Mini Painting Blog | The SHMUP: BYOAC Build | Art Thread

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

« Reply #32 on: December 22, 2012, 12:15:18 pm »
The GF and I are talking about at least getting endorsements this spring/summer. I doubt I'll be able to afford a bike around then though.

"endorsements"?
"Attempts must be made, even when there can be no hope.
 The alternative is despair.
 And betimes some wonder is wrought to redeem us"

scott

« Reply #33 on: December 22, 2012, 12:50:40 pm »
Motorcycle endorsement for the driver's license. I dunno how it works in other States, but in Michigan you have to have a driver's license "endorsed" for motorcycle riding.
Now Playing: Persona 5 Scramble, Animal Crossing: New Horizons, Mario Kart 8

Brush Wizard - Mini Painting Blog | The SHMUP: BYOAC Build | Art Thread

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

« Reply #34 on: December 22, 2012, 01:33:15 pm »
Motorcycle endorsement for the driver's license. I dunno how it works in other States, but in Michigan you have to have a driver's license "endorsed" for motorcycle riding.

Ah, gotcha'.

Yep - same here in NJ (boat/motorcycle/bus endorsements, etc).

I think that the only time that it's separated here is for tractor-trailer (18-wheeler) drivers.  My dad used to drive them, and he had/needed an "Articulated" license for that...

soera

« Reply #35 on: December 22, 2012, 07:01:42 pm »
Back when I initially got my license in 92, the only thing you had to do to get your endorsement was click the box. Now you have to take a seperate written and driving test. The tests werent that bad but you do need to study to get a few of the written parts correct (a lot of motorcycle issues dont apply to people in cages).

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

« Reply #36 on: December 23, 2012, 09:05:27 am »
Back when I initially got my license in 92, the only thing you had to do to get your endorsement was click the box. Now you have to take a seperate written and driving test. The tests werent that bad but you do need to study to get a few of the written parts correct (a lot of motorcycle issues dont apply to people in cages).

Would a "one-handed" motorcycle be completely impossible?

Or...

soera

« Reply #37 on: December 23, 2012, 10:16:58 am »
Yes it could be possible. There is an American made brand (can not think of the name of it atm) that makes automatic transmission bikes. If you pair that with a trike kit, it could work. There would be no need for a clutch and a gear shift so you could have the front brake lever and the rear brake pedal. With the trike kit, turning would be easier with one hand and you would not have to stand up when stopped so holding up the bike would be like holding up a car when stoppped. Ill look up the name of that company.

soera

« Reply #38 on: December 23, 2012, 10:22:08 am »
Dont know why I forgot the name .... just think of Metroid! The brand is Ridley. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2006-RIDLEY-AUTOGLIDE-TT-AUTOMATIC-MOTORCYCLE-AUTO-GLIDE-INSPECTED-WE-FINANCE-/330839813223?pt=US_motorcycles&hash=item4d0796ec67

It would take some work to get it totally street ready for one hand but I would love to see it if you did it!

Another faster to finish option could just be a Can Am Spyder (Which I want one in the future anyhow). http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2010-Can-Am-Spyder-RT-S-SM5-Loaded-Exhaust-3-Wheeler-Cover-Serviced-/290831773746?pt=US_motorcycles&hash=item43b6ecb032 Some of these are automatics too.

soera

« Reply #39 on: December 23, 2012, 10:30:58 am »

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

« Reply #40 on: December 23, 2012, 11:00:41 am »
Thanks for the links, Soera :)

That Ridley (and that one requiring a winning lottery ticket:) both look rather interesting & tempting.

I can still drive sticks/standard cars, but, it would probably make anyone/everyone seeing me doing it rather nervous (then again, I guess that anyone seeing me driving (even an automatic car) one-handed whilst lighting/smoking a cigarette wouldn't be real happy about it, either)!

Do you know what the laws are/aren't concerning it being LEGAL to drive/operate a cycle 1-handed?

soera

« Reply #41 on: December 23, 2012, 11:34:45 am »
There shouldnt be any discriminating laws about 1h motorcycle driving ... but the useful aspect of doing it without the options I mentioned are beyond imagination. A manual bike has clutch/gear shift on one side and front brake/rear brake on the other side. The throttle however is on the same side as the brake so it wouldnt be possible to do with just one hand cause the clutch would pop. You would, at minimum, have to get an automatic. Turning and driving with one hand would be situational too. Ive seen people drive with one hand resting on their leg but thats only down straight roads (normally on the highway).

thecollector0o7

« Reply #42 on: December 23, 2012, 01:41:20 pm »
My other hobbies besides collecting systems is building Arcade machines I build them and sell them for a good price, but the odd time I keep one for myself >_>. I also go to conventions and lecture on Nintendo and its untold history which they do not speak of.

I also skateboard and travel a lot but mostly to find consoles that I have never heard of. ie. The Funstation 3 imported from panama by myself :P

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

« Reply #43 on: December 23, 2012, 01:44:47 pm »
There shouldnt be any discriminating laws about 1h motorcycle driving ... but the useful aspect of doing it without the options I mentioned are beyond imagination. A manual bike has clutch/gear shift on one side and front brake/rear brake on the other side. The throttle however is on the same side as the brake so it wouldnt be possible to do with just one hand cause the clutch would pop. You would, at minimum, have to get an automatic. Turning and driving with one hand would be situational too. Ive seen people drive with one hand resting on their leg but thats only down straight roads (normally on the highway).

Makes sense :)

On-topic, again...another thing that I 'collect' *could* be tattoos  8)

« Reply #44 on: December 23, 2012, 01:57:38 pm »
If you could get proper temporary tattoos that looked fantastic and then completely faded away after a few months I'd have loads, but there's nothing I'd really want to wear on my skin *forever*, so I just have to admire everyone else's instead :)