Author Topic: Game Room Pics  (Read 168574 times)

darko

Game Room Pics
« on: August 11, 2011, 11:26:42 pm »
I haven't seen a thread here strictly for game room/collection pics. Thought I'd start off the thread. Maybe we could get Matt to make a Game Room/Collection category? Would be nice!

This is my game room. It's actually fairly small. I have a decent house but all of the rooms are spoken for save the office. I'm pretty happy with my current setup besides the fact that my games are at least doubled up in the shelves. I'm going to have a custom built-in shelving unit installed next year some time that will have the correct dimensions and enough space for everything to be displayed at once (plus everything else I plan on acquiring). All of my boxes for the systems are in a closet and my PS3 is in the living room since it's really nothing more than a glorified blu-ray player these days.

I'm considering mounting the plasma on the wall and making a temporary situation with the SDTV below it. That would give me space for 2 more shelves like I already have on the left side of the room.

For those of you who used my system shelving idea, this is what it looks like with 4 shelves as opposed to 3. Also, sorry about the quality. Using the ol' iPhone and the lighting is not iPhone friendly.

Comments, suggestions, etc?

Click on the pics for a larger image.

EDIT: removed broken links
« Last Edit: August 10, 2016, 12:08:05 pm by tripredacus »

scott

Re: Game Room Pics
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2011, 11:43:19 pm »
I like this thread idea, I'll see what kind of pictures I can get later, after I do some cleaning...

Man I still love that shelving. The whole set up with the TV and everything looks really nice too. But, why are you hiding the NES under the black cover?
Now Playing: Persona 5 Scramble, Animal Crossing: New Horizons, Mario Kart 8

Brush Wizard - Mini Painting Blog | The SHMUP: BYOAC Build | Art Thread

darko

« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2011, 11:54:19 pm »
Two reasons really. Sunlight is number one. The second is that I always wanted one of those things when I was in grade school because one of my friends had one. Now I do!
« Last Edit: August 10, 2016, 12:08:50 pm by tripredacus »

desocietas

« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2011, 12:33:56 am »
The look on the dog is the best, @darko.  >.<
« Last Edit: August 10, 2016, 12:09:12 pm by tripredacus »
Currently playing:
FFXIV (PC), The Witcher (PC), Monster Hunter World: Iceborne (PS4)
twitch.tv/desocietas

darko

« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2011, 12:41:45 am »
Ha. She was asleep on my sofa and I went in and turned on the lights. She was like WTF?

scott

« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2011, 12:44:58 am »
Ha. She was asleep on my sofa and I went in and turned on the lights. She was like WTF?

More like. "You rat bastard, can't you see I am SLEEPING?!"

Two reasons really. Sunlight is number one. The second is that I always wanted one of those things when I was in grade school because one of my friend's had one. Now I do!

Ah, ya Sunlight plays hell on the NES and SNES for sure. I found a cure for browning plastics online once, it involved tearing the casing down and a bunch of household products. I saw on a forum an old Apple II that was super brown, came out looking pristine white again.

darko

« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2011, 12:53:18 am »

More like. "You rat bastard, can't you see I am SLEEPING?!"

That sums it up nicely!

Ah, ya Sunlight plays hell on the NES and SNES for sure. I found a cure for browning plastics online once, it involved tearing the casing down and a bunch of household products. I saw on a forum an old Apple II that was super brown, came out looking pristine white again.

I've seen that too. Luckily my consoles aren't too bad right now. I have 2 different SNESs. One is mine from years and years ago and it's slightly discolored (not worthy of a chemical bath) and the other one is pristine (last model before the redesign). I believe they changed the plastic that they used on the later models right before the newly designed SNES came out that wouldn't yellow. I use the nice looking one so I guess I'll find out sooner or later.

madmax

« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2011, 07:43:54 am »
from what I could understand, its the kind of plastic they used that browned. It was a bad batch and oxydized like no tomorrow. My snes' top plastic is extremely brown. i bought it like that. because of the color, it was extremely cheap. if you can find that website again. That would be awesome!

as for a gameroom, ill snap a picture of what I have setup once I've finished moving.

tpugmire

« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2011, 09:58:19 am »
It's called Retrobright.  I don't have the link on my phone but it's a wikipedia site.  I've tried it a few times but it never seems to come out quite right for me.  Practice on stuff you don't care about until you get it right.

And it's not a bad batch of plastic that caused the yellowing.  Back then, bromine was added to the plastic used for the housings of electronic devices as a fire-retardant.  Bromine reacts with uv light and causes the plastic to yellow.
This message was brought to you by Tootsie Rolls, the official candy of vgcollect.com

madmax

« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2011, 10:04:32 am »
Hmm alrighty.

My top cover is completely yellow whereas the bottom cover is perfectly grey. There's no fade or anything. Both are completely different. I would be surprised if both were made the same way :/

scott

« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2011, 10:12:08 am »
Ya, that's what it was. I actually have an old NES that I was going to test it on, but never had a chance. I have all the materials sitting in the basement, it's just a matter of getting the time to watch over the process.

http://retr0bright.wikispaces.com/

madmax

« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2011, 10:37:31 am »
Crazy! Thanks. Looks simple enough as well.

Back to game room :P

darko

« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2011, 01:18:45 pm »
Hmm alrighty.

My top cover is completely yellow whereas the bottom cover is perfectly grey. There's no fade or anything. Both are completely different. I would be surprised if both were made the same way :/

I don't think they added bromine to the bottom half of the case. I've never in my life seen any snes with a discolored bottom.

« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2011, 07:15:05 pm »
Here's my gameroom...I'm sad to say that right now I don't have a dedicated room to my collection, like a CRT TV set up for retro stuff or anything :( I just keep them stowed, and when I get in the mood to play a bit, I'll pull a single system out for a few days. I know that's a disgrace...

Snapbucket

Snapbucket
I'M ALWAYS LOOKING TO BUY COMPLETE COPIES OF SEGA CD AND SEGA SATURN GAMES, SO PLEASE CONTACT ME IF YOU HAVE ANY.

darko

« Reply #14 on: August 12, 2011, 07:24:28 pm »
All I can say is pinball...awesome. But seriously you have a nice collection of arcades.