Author Topic: DMG Game Boy Backlight  (Read 3204 times)

darko

DMG Game Boy Backlight
« on: February 18, 2013, 01:23:36 pm »
I've decided to take on a backlight mod for my transparent Play It Loud DMG Game Boy after taking it apart and giving it a good cleaning this weekend. I've ordered a white backlight kit and a new lense. The process seems fairly strait forward but I was wondering if anyone here has successfully installed one. Is there anything I should know before attempting this? If you have one, are you happy with the finished product?

Re: DMG Game Boy Backlight
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2013, 06:54:00 pm »
Where did you order the kit from, I'd love to do this as well

scott

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2013, 09:20:13 pm »
Isn't the screen mounted directly on the board on original game boy systems? Seems like a lot of danger of mucking it up to me. I don't know if I would attempt it myself.
Now Playing: Persona 5 Scramble, Animal Crossing: New Horizons, Mario Kart 8

Brush Wizard - Mini Painting Blog | The SHMUP: BYOAC Build | Art Thread

darko

« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2013, 09:47:16 am »
Where did you order the kit from, I'd love to do this as well

Here you go: http://www.nonelectronics.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=10&zenid=ea5b964dfffa5daaf239db61fc775020

I went with a white V4 "Envy" backlight. I know a lot of people put green backlights in when they do this mod but, since I'm doing it on a clear system, I thought white would be the best this time around. I'm going to be doing more so I'll know more about the different colors in time.

Isn't the screen mounted directly on the board on original game boy systems? Seems like a lot of danger of mucking it up to me. I don't know if I would attempt it myself.

Sort of. It's held on by ribbon cables but 2 of the sides are free. It's not that big of a deal. Here's a decent video showing most of the process:

« Last Edit: February 20, 2013, 09:49:45 am by darko »

scott

« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2013, 10:54:14 am »
Interesting. Luckily I have my Game Boy Light, so I don't need to do any mods. But It would be pretty sweet having a modded GB Pocket.

darko

« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2013, 11:57:20 am »
Interesting. Luckily I have my Game Boy Light, so I don't need to do any mods. But It would be pretty sweet having a modded GB Pocket.

Yeah, I'm just doing it because I think it will be a fun project. If I wanted it to be perfect I'd just buy a GBL as well :)
« Last Edit: February 20, 2013, 01:48:58 pm by darko »

« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2013, 01:09:34 pm »
I just ordered the white kit, now i just have to find where i put my soldering iron

darko

« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2013, 01:28:27 am »
I finished (kind of) mine this weekend. I have about 5-6 more to do. I really don't think it will end up taking me more than 10 minutes to do the mod after I finish one more.

« Last Edit: March 04, 2013, 09:42:45 am by darko »

scott

« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2013, 10:45:20 pm »
bad image link?

darko

« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2013, 09:42:58 am »
Fixed :)

scott

« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2013, 09:54:32 am »
man that's nice.

If I could afford a 2nd clear GB Pocket, I'd ship it off to you.

darko

« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2013, 11:31:57 am »
It's not too difficult. It requires very little modding to the inside of the GB (you just clip a bit of the screen housing off of the board to run wires). Other than that it's two soldering points and you're done.

scott

« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2013, 12:28:29 pm »
Ya, that's why I don't want to do it to my original Pocket. But if I had an extra, I'd be game to do it. Then again, I have a GB Light. Mainly I'd like to compare the two and see if one ghosts less than the other.

scott

« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2013, 12:28:44 pm »
Oh did you get that GBA yet?

darko

« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2013, 01:57:01 am »
The GBA is in the mail as we speak. Now THAT's going to be something to post about :)

Here's another DMG I finished this evening. I did a prosound mod and replaced the headphone jack with it. The mod kills the external speaker but it sounds much clearer than the old headphone jack. I'm pretty sure the guy I did this for is going to use it for Chiptune (which is really the only reason I would suggest anyone doing it unless you have nice headphones or plan to play your GB through speakers).

« Last Edit: March 10, 2013, 03:06:19 am by darko »