Author Topic: Baseball  (Read 4155 times)

pacpix

Baseball
« on: February 25, 2013, 10:20:38 am »
With spring training games going right now I was wondering if anyone here watches baseball.  My favorite team is the Mariners, and the only team I really dislike is the Yankees(Sorry psydswipe  :) ). 
Currently Playing: Dark Souls: Remastered (Switch)

matt

Re: Baseball
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2013, 10:06:36 am »
Detroit Tigers. and I also hate the Yankees...but who doesn't?! :)

pacpix

« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2013, 10:26:53 am »
LOL I wish everyone hated the Yankees.  My uncle and my grandpa on my mom's side are both Yankees fans.  Also the only friend I have that is interested in baseball is a Yankees fan.  I have tried changing him to a Mets fan, but have not had any success.

I am excited about this years season though, I'm pretty sure the Mariners can at least beat the Astros.... hopefully

scott

« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2013, 10:27:22 am »
I don't really follow Baseball much anymore, but I used to watch it all summer long when I was a kid. I still have a soft spot for Baseball movies and have had an itch lately to play a newer Baseball video game... But don't know what the "best" one is to go with.
Now Playing: Persona 5 Scramble, Animal Crossing: New Horizons, Mario Kart 8

Brush Wizard - Mini Painting Blog | The SHMUP: BYOAC Build | Art Thread

soera

« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2013, 01:11:20 pm »
I feel like Im one of those "typical gamers" who just doesnt really get into organized team sports. Football, basketball, baseball are all boring for me to watch. If I watch anything, its either A) Women's tennis. OMG. 2 hot girls in almost no clothing sweating and grunting for hours. Does it really get any better than this? or B) Gymnastics. I think its really cool all the stuff that they can do. Plus the gymnast girls are all so short and petite. Sexy as hell!

scott

« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2013, 01:49:49 pm »
What? no Women's Beach Volleyball? Come on, that's why better than tennis!

matt

« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2013, 02:43:47 pm »
I feel like Im one of those "typical gamers" who just doesnt really get into organized team sports. Football, basketball, baseball are all boring for me to watch. If I watch anything, its either A) Women's tennis. OMG. 2 hot girls in almost no clothing sweating and grunting for hours. Does it really get any better than this? or B) Gymnastics. I think its really cool all the stuff that they can do. Plus the gymnast girls are all so short and petite. Sexy as hell!

There are a lot of you typical gamers out there! I have a hard time relating to a lot of my gamer friends because none of them were in to sports. I think just growing up with an older brother, we always were either playing videos games or sports so it stuck with me and hell, it doesn't help that my mom is a bigger fan than I am.

After living with a few gamer friends I was able to convert them but they still didn't share the same passion as I do. Right now my main focus is on hockey, but as soon as spring really hits I'll start following baseball closely.

scott

« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2013, 02:48:15 pm »
I'm one of those gamer friends. :P

I enjoy watching some sports though. But I don't follow any of it. I really don't like watching football though, and only watched the Super Bowl because of the whole story behind the coaches.

jcalder8

« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2013, 07:30:33 pm »
I follow hockey more than baseball but I am looking forward to the Blue Jays this year. Hopefully they gel better than the Lakers have :D

psydswipe

« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2013, 12:54:26 pm »
With spring training games going right now I was wondering if anyone here watches baseball.  My favorite team is the Mariners, and the only team I really dislike is the Yankees(Sorry psydswipe  :) ).

Haven't been in the off topic area in a while so I'm just seeing this now. I'm not even sure how you know I'm a Yankees fan, guess I posted it somewhere  8) The Mariners did get the better of the Yankees back before the Yankees got good. I'll always remember that as the one and only time Don Mattingly was able to experience the post-season as a player. He also left the team the year before they won the series, then he rejoined the team as batting coach after they won a string of championships. Then he left the team to go to the Dodgers before they won again. Bad luck for my favorite player but now he suddenly has the highest payroll in baseball to manage, not that that guarantees anything. Sure the Yankees spend a lot, but that really doesn't mean a team is good (1 championship in the last 12 years). They overpay their veterans for their past services with the team, and of course A-Rod's awful contract is going to make their team salary bloated for a while.

I don't know what to expect from the Yankees this year. The Blue Jays sure look good on paper, the Red Sox are mostly rebuilding, the Orioles appear to be getting good, and the Rays' great management keeps them in the hunt each year. While injuries always play a part, the Yankees have a number of fragile, aging players that health is probably going to determine their final standing. Living near Detroit I've received a closeup of the Yankees getting knocked out the last couple of seasons. The Angels might end up winning the AL and I'm going to lean toward the Reds or Braves for the NL, but I would like to see the Dodgers win it (unless the Yankees are the opposition) to get Mattingly a ring.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2013, 01:05:19 pm by psydswipe »

pacpix

« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2013, 07:17:37 pm »
I think you mentioned it a while back in the Boring TV shows thread.
The Mariners did get the better of the Yankees back before the Yankees got good. I'll always remember that as the one and only time Don Mattingly was able to experience the post-season as a player
I actually just watched this game on DVD a few weeks ago (The game was played two years before I was born), it was strange even though I knew how the game was going to end I was still getting excited watching the game. I felt a little bad for Don when I watched it too, he seemed like a cool guy.

On a side note does anyone know where you could watch old baseball games online?  Kind of curious to see some of the Mariners early games.

psydswipe

« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2013, 12:28:19 pm »
On a side note does anyone know where you could watch old baseball games online?  Kind of curious to see some of the Mariners early games.

I'm not aware of any websites that do or can show games. If anything is ever posted officially they'd likely only appear on MLB.com. Perhaps there are some games on youtube though I wouldn't be surprised if MLB shuts down anything unofficial.

« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2013, 11:11:57 am »
this year without watching it ever really or paying much attention I will still route for my hometown team... Houston Astros :)
Currently Playing - Plants Vs. Zombies: Warfare (PC) / Looking for Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance II Manual

pacpix

« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2013, 10:00:25 am »
I'm pretty sure the Mariners can at least beat the Astros.... hopefully
I knew we were not going to win every Astros game, but holy crap! Plus it was the lowest attendance in Safeco Field ever :(

« Last Edit: April 10, 2013, 10:02:05 am by pacpix »

pacpix

« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2013, 09:57:03 am »
Hey Matt did you watch the Tigers and Mariners series?  Lots of good pitching from both teams, and the 2nd game went into the 14th!