Author Topic: Isolated for being a gamer?  (Read 9884 times)

Re: Isolated for being a gamer?
« Reply #45 on: March 05, 2013, 03:24:21 pm »
I have never felt lonely as a gamer. I always assuumed myselff and i have some very good non gamer fiends.  8)

jobocan

« Reply #46 on: March 05, 2013, 07:10:53 pm »
I would think the 1.) aspect would have played through by now as their are tons of gamer females out there? An it seems alot of them have their own youtube /chat channels, and even taken over the xbox360 clan..

Not a chance. At the moment female gamers are classed as either -

1) "Fake" gamers - they play Farmville, Angry Birds, etc and very occasionally a little something on their boyfriend's 360 (badly, no doubt).
2) Attention seekers. All women with a Youtube channel who game fall into this category automatically. They probably only like <game you like> to try to look cool.
3) Real gamers, but ugly. Any woman who has proven she really does play "proper" games and doesn't have a Youtube channel must be ugly, because if she wasn't she'd have a Youtube channel.

So true, Kimimi.  It's all so very black and white to most, when in fact shades of gray exist.  ;)

This whole talk about female gamers is a bit amusing because I never really got why there's any kind of separation in the medium between male and female gamers... it's just senseless. I mean, any "classing" like in Kimimi's post... are all things that exist regardless of sex (I mean, you've seen at least one Angry Joe video, right? can't get more "attention seeking" than that). I've known a lot of female gamers, and never once did I feel the need to insult them solely for being girls, that's just stupid.

But this is kinda analogous to another splitting of the gaming fanbase, that being the "Hardcore vs Casual" thing that just about no one arguing has no idea what those terms mean and even that other categories exist, and will insult each other at every moment because they're not hardcore enough (even though most of them aren't hardcore in the first place).

To me, in regards to gaming, it's either you're a gamer or you're not. Categories exist, but don't matter. And different genders shouldn't mean anything.

sin2beta

« Reply #47 on: March 05, 2013, 07:35:35 pm »

1) "Fake" gamers - they play Farmville, Angry Birds, etc and very occasionally a little something on their boyfriend's 360 (badly, no doubt).
2) Attention seekers. All women with a Youtube channel who game fall into this category automatically. They probably only like <game you like> to try to look cool.
3) Real gamers, but ugly. Any woman who has proven she really does play "proper" games and doesn't have a Youtube channel must be ugly, because if she wasn't she'd have a Youtube channel.

This makes me sad. I see the youtube stuff everyday. I subscribed to a channel called PressHeartToContinue after Husky StarCraft plugged the show. But, my god, the viewer comments on every video make me sad for humanity.

The creepers find every channel as well. A fairly new reviewer Alli Flanagan started a channel. Comments started out fine as it was the LawnboysPost, NinjaBearHug, Shockz16 group that was virtually every subscriber. But now half the comments are things like "You're hot" or "Face it, we are all here for the girl". Makes me sad because she is damn good at the show. Most of us did not go there because of the girl but for the quality work. Anyways, check out her reviews they are fantastic.

UPDATED 01/22/2016 New Ages of SEGA "Space Slalom" is now on....
SegaNerds.com: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t7J9ZbGNB-c

insektmute

« Reply #48 on: March 05, 2013, 07:45:49 pm »
It all boils down to insecurity and immaturity, whether you're talking about people treating me like a manboy because of my interests, or assuming women who play video games are sex toys or pretenders. I count myself fortunate that I was largely raised by my Mom, and so the suggestion of women being inferior is something that was never reinforced, and for all her little remarks about owning too much of whatever, she never restricted my interests.

Upbringing has a big impact, and there are a lot of really shitty parents out there that are happy to raise a mass collective of ignorant, rude little pricks that are just like Mom and Dad :)

« Reply #49 on: March 05, 2013, 09:16:59 pm »
It all boils down to insecurity and immaturity, whether you're talking about people treating me like a manboy because of my interests, or assuming women who play video games are sex toys or pretenders. I count myself fortunate that I was largely raised by my Mom, and so the suggestion of women being inferior is something that was never reinforced, and for all her little remarks about owning too much of whatever, she never restricted my interests.

Upbringing has a big impact, and there are a lot of really shitty parents out there that are happy to raise a mass collective of ignorant, rude little pricks that are just like Mom and Dad :)
I see it everytime I go over to my sister inlaws house.... not her but the hardcore gamer that she is with... it saddens me because they wouldn't backtalk or draw a big fat penis on the Tennis court during school hours if he wasn't in their lives :(
Currently Playing - Plants Vs. Zombies: Warfare (PC) / Looking for Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance II Manual

« Reply #50 on: March 05, 2013, 11:20:29 pm »
This thread makes me sad. :(

Where is my gamer female person lady who accepts my hobby?! Or better yet shares in the hobby...

My last gf didn't really seem to mind, but i never could really talk about anything gaming or electronics around her.

scott

« Reply #51 on: March 05, 2013, 11:38:43 pm »
Yeah that seems to be the case with a lot of them, man. I got lucky, my GF has no idea what any of this stuff is, but when we go to gaming stores she looks around in awe. Hell, she'll even watch me play games and be into it for the story. But girls I dated before, weren't interested at all. It's hard to share your life with people when they don't show at least some interest in what you like.
Now Playing: Persona 5 Scramble, Animal Crossing: New Horizons, Mario Kart 8

Brush Wizard - Mini Painting Blog | The SHMUP: BYOAC Build | Art Thread

ffxik

« Reply #52 on: March 06, 2013, 02:47:44 am »
Sshhhh!  Don't go givin' muh secrets away Erk!  :P

I was just looking for an excuse to remind you to get out of Missouri. Being from Portland, I basically think of it as a Hills Have Eyes type of place O.O

Yeah, speaking of isolation... it kind of is!   :o

Here's to the day I finally move back to civilization!

Back the truck up.  You're in Missouri.  Where at?  If you don't mind.

I would rather live here in isolation versus the rat race that is the more populated places.  Then again I have a rather large disdain for people in general.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2013, 02:50:18 am by ffxik »

ko1ru

« Reply #53 on: March 06, 2013, 10:12:17 am »
I would think the 1.) aspect would have played through by now as their are tons of gamer females out there? An it seems alot of them have their own youtube /chat channels, and even taken over the xbox360 clan..

Not a chance. At the moment female gamers are classed as either -

So true, Kimimi.  It's all so very black and white to most, when in fact shades of gray exist.  ;)

This whole talk about female gamers is a bit amusing because I never really got why there's any kind of separation in the medium between male and female gamers... it's just senseless. I mean, any "classing" like in Kimimi's post... are all things that exist regardless of sex (I mean, you've seen at least one Angry Joe video, right? can't get more "attention seeking" than that). I've known a lot of female gamers, and never once did I feel the need to insult them solely for being girls, that's just stupid.

But this is kinda analogous to another splitting of the gaming fanbase, that being the "Hardcore vs Casual" thing that just about no one arguing has no idea what those terms mean and even that other categories exist, and will insult each other at every moment because they're not hardcore enough (even though most of them aren't hardcore in the first place).

To me, in regards to gaming, it's either you're a gamer or you're not. Categories exist, but don't matter. And different genders shouldn't mean anything.

I'm glad you view it that way, Jobocan.  It's an unfortunate fact that most people don't share your opinion.

ko1ru

« Reply #54 on: March 06, 2013, 10:19:28 am »

I would rather live here in isolation versus the rat race that is the more populated places.  Then again I have a rather large disdain for people in general.

I live in Rolla, smack in-between St. Louis and Springfield.  I'm originally from Columbia.  :)

After living in many populated (and non-populated) places across the nation, I can say for certain that I'm drawn more to a metropolis.  Don't get me wrong, I have a strong dislike for most people as well, but there's something about the sounds of gunshots and back-to-back traffic in the morning that makes me feel at home.  :)

scott

« Reply #55 on: March 06, 2013, 10:39:35 am »
I'm not interested in big cities at all. I get super paranoid if I'm in one  and last time I was in Detroit for a concert it was kinda shakey. My GF wants to go to Chicago, New York and a bunch of other places. And I just can't think of any reason why I'd want to be there.
Now Playing: Persona 5 Scramble, Animal Crossing: New Horizons, Mario Kart 8

Brush Wizard - Mini Painting Blog | The SHMUP: BYOAC Build | Art Thread

insektmute

« Reply #56 on: March 06, 2013, 10:50:55 am »
I'm glad you view it that way, Jobocan.  It's an unfortunate fact that most people don't share your opinion.

Denigrating anyone based on gender tends to piss me off, and I've actually defriended a few people lately who apparently don't understand the distinction between misandry and feminism. After a few months of reading about how men are basically a bunch of would-be rapist animals, I finally gave up on trying to counter it with rational discussion. Some people just want to rage blindly.

At least misanthropy is equal-opportunity. :)

ko1ru

« Reply #57 on: March 06, 2013, 10:53:16 am »
Living in the middle of nowhere does have its advantages though:  everything's so stinkin' cheap!   :D

ko1ru

« Reply #58 on: March 06, 2013, 10:54:18 am »
At least misanthropy is equal-opportunity. :)

Amen!   ;)

ffxik

« Reply #59 on: March 07, 2013, 03:36:24 pm »

I live in Rolla, smack in-between St. Louis and Springfield.  I'm originally from Columbia.  :)

After living in many populated (and non-populated) places across the nation, I can say for certain that I'm drawn more to a metropolis.  Don't get me wrong, I have a strong dislike for most people as well, but there's something about the sounds of gunshots and back-to-back traffic in the morning that makes me feel at home.  :)

HAH!  I know Rolla pretty well.  I live in Winona.  It's a small world.   ;D

I'd rather not listen to the noise.  I live smack in between a car wash and a redi-mix facility going on 11 years.  I'm not big on the traffic any more.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2013, 03:38:43 pm by ffxik »