Author Topic: DS game shrink wrapping  (Read 3875 times)

DS game shrink wrapping
« on: March 19, 2013, 01:30:50 am »
I just purchased a "New sealed" copy of Radiant Historia and when it came in I noticed that it had generic heat sealed shrink wrap seams. Every DS game i bought before this had nice folded seams. My intention was to leave it sealed but at this point im not even sure if the game is in there...   Is there any chance that this is legit, or did someone reseal this copy?

scott

Re: DS game shrink wrapping
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2013, 10:15:14 am »
That seems like a reseal job to me. If I remember correctly, my reprint copy of Radiant Historia was sealed with the standard wrapping.

I think if it was me, I'd open it up just to be sure the game is actually in it... then again, sometimes I'm paranoid like that.
Now Playing: Persona 5 Scramble, Animal Crossing: New Horizons, Mario Kart 8

Brush Wizard - Mini Painting Blog | The SHMUP: BYOAC Build | Art Thread

desocietas

« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2013, 11:07:36 am »
I'm pretty sure mine was in the folded seams wrapping.  I can check again when I get home, but that's always been my biggest fear about purchasing OOP games through resellers...
Currently playing:
FFXIV (PC), The Witcher (PC), Monster Hunter World: Iceborne (PS4)
twitch.tv/desocietas

« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2013, 01:15:01 pm »
I went ahead and emailed the seller about it and they replied with this:

"Hi Justin,
We purchase all of our Radiant Historia copies direct from Atlus. That is how all of them were sealed and shipped to us. We literally have about 600 left in that same packaging. I can assure you the game is in there as we have sold several hundred pieces with no complaints.

Also I have taken a picture and attached it to show all the games we received have the same packaging.

If you are still unsure, we can always do a return for a refund of the purchase price, but we cannot refund the shipping as we cannot get it back.

Thanks,
PlayCanada"

I guess I'll just open it anyway to be safe. So much for a sealed copy

scott

« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2013, 02:54:04 pm »
Interesting.

desocietas

« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2013, 04:42:41 pm »
Hm, I got something from PlayCanada recently but haven't opened it up yet.  Weren't they the ones who bought up all the Wizards Editions of Ni No Kuni and jacked the prices up to $300-400?
Currently playing:
twitch.tv/desocietas

« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2013, 06:52:21 pm »
Looks very sketchy to me, regardless of their claims. That soft, loose shrinkwrap stuff is the same type we used at Blockbuster back in the day to reseal used movies, so we could put the price sticker on the front without ruining covers. It tears way more easily, and feels much cheaper than the stuff used for retail releases - almost like saran wrap.

Only real way to gauge is once you do open it, whether there's any folds or scuffs on the manual or other inserts, though it's more difficult w/ DS games since that stuff is so jam-packed in there anyway.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2013, 06:54:02 pm by insektmute »

« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2013, 09:37:35 pm »
Well I bit the bullet and opened it up, it seems to check out. Everything inside was in perfect condition, and there were no saves on the cart.

desocietas

« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2013, 10:37:47 pm »
Well, at least it sounds like it was mint inside.  Still odd, though.

Here's what mine looked like (from Amazon):
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8100/8573886440_e474d5d81e_c.jpg

Alternatively, from XSEED (and purchased through Amazon):
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8510/8572791195_d10ec49925_c.jpg

I just checked the reprint of DDS from both PlayCanada and Amazon, and they both have the folded tabbed plastic wrap.
Currently playing:
twitch.tv/desocietas

jobocan

« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2013, 11:12:11 pm »
Yeah, PlayCanada is legit. Evil, but legit. (They're the ones who bought a couple hundred copies of Ni No Kuni Wizard Edition and sold them for like 400-500$ each on ebay)

« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2013, 11:19:14 pm »
I was really hoping to have a sealed copy, but for the $40 I payed I guess its ok to be open.  That means ill actually get to play it now

scott

« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2013, 11:31:54 pm »
And that's the best part. I really enjoyed that game (still need to finish it). And it's well worth the playtime.

« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2013, 11:35:11 pm »
i really need to start playing one game at a time, I keep getting like 4-10 hours into a game and then play something else. Maybe this will be the one to change everything

scott

« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2013, 11:40:20 pm »
I'm the same. But I tend to get into a game and play it, then something new comes out and it steals all the playtime away from it. Maybe once I get moved in and can't buy games as I please, I'll finally make a dent in my back log.

« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2013, 12:53:14 pm »
It'd be easier to get through the backlog if we could just like, not have to go somewhere for 8 hours a day doing not gaming things. Almost makes me miss unemployment :(