Author Topic: Do You Have Any Unpopular Gaming Opinions?  (Read 17184 times)

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

Re: Do You Have Any Unpopular Gaming Opinions?
« Reply #150 on: April 11, 2014, 12:07:23 am »
Except for a few select must-haves, the Game Boy, while innovative, was a terrible handheld.

The screen was horrible. I remember as a kid you'd have to have it angled just right, and in just the right light to play it well. And even then, there was still faded backgrounds and lots of screen blur when there was fast-motion going on in the game.

I'm glad I have no nostalgia for that handheld, lol. aside from the pokemon games I don't think I've played many other original game boy games. Never even owned a handheld before the GBA and I don't ever really intend to go back to it. I think the only reason I'd ever own an original game boy would be to use it as a decoration since it is fairly iconic in appearance.

I still have mine, but I haven't touched it in years. Why should I? Since then the Super Game Boy, GBA-SP, and Game Boy Player have all come out and are all way better options; even the Game Boy Color is a bit of an upgrade despite not being backlit.

foxhack

« Reply #151 on: April 11, 2014, 12:08:55 am »
Allright, here I go:

I love the GBA, but whoever chose the sound chip for the system needs to have his kneecaps broken. It's HORRIBLE. A lot of games' audio suffered because of it.

htimreimer

« Reply #152 on: April 11, 2014, 12:58:09 am »
most games from the 7th generation are ugly, things have gone more shiny and detail but so much of looks the same, the same muted color palette and the same trying to hard to be realistic, whatever happened to exaggerate character models that isn't just big muscles or big boobs, whatever happened to environments that are not even close to ones that we have on earth.

i play games for fantasy not for reality but it seems like game developers and publishers now a days, wants to make evarything familiar to us

Bwigdahl

« Reply #153 on: April 11, 2014, 01:22:59 am »
most games from the 7th generation are ugly, things have gone more shiny and detail but so much of looks the same, the same muted color palette and the same trying to hard to be realistic, whatever happened to exaggerate character models that isn't just big muscles or big boobs, whatever happened to environments that are not even close to ones that we have on earth.

i play games for fantasy not for reality but it seems like game developers and publishers now a days, wants to make evarything familiar to us

This is why I love Nintendo so much.

MJMaranan

PRO Supporter

« Reply #154 on: April 11, 2014, 01:35:07 am »
Aside from handhelds, I never enjoyed Nintendo consoles as much as others have until the GameCube.  Then I lost faith again with the Wii and will pass on the Wii U for now.

I support DRM but would rather buy physical copies, if available and especially includes a manual, for the sake of adding items to my VGCollect.

Will add some more later on...

Please check out the games I have for sale.

« Reply #155 on: April 11, 2014, 01:47:46 am »
Aside from handhelds, I never enjoyed Nintendo consoles as much as others have until the GameCube.  Then I lost faith again with the Wii and will pass on the Wii U for now.

I support DRM but would rather buy physical copies, if available and especially includes a manual, for the sake of adding items to my VGCollect.

Will add some more later on...

For me, the Nintendo Wii killed Nintendo for me.  I didn't really have a Gamecub, so I didn't play a ton outside of a few games like Animal Crossing, Zelda, and Resident Evil 4, but when the Wii came out, I really hated it, I hated the motion controller and there were just not many good games I thought for it and after like two years of owning it, I sold it off to a friend.  There are a few good games on it for sure now, but that was a super low point for Nintendo to me.  Which is funny that the Wii did so great, but I hated it, and now that I love the Wii U, it's doing horribly LOL

That leads into an unpopular opinion I'm sure...I don't like the Mario Galaxy series.  Like alot.  I dabbled in both and man did I really not like them.  They are competent games, but I was a giant fan of Super Mario 64 and it just felt like we lost most everything good that had to me.  We lost the big hub world to explore, the interesting levels to explore, with the new hardware, I just wanted a new big world to explore and they didn't have it.  Then by Galaxy 2, they dropped any sort of what I felt was good exploration in favorite of that shitty Super Mario 3 overworld that's so completely over-used, I wish they would abandon it forever.  I don't want tiny little linear levels to run through, I want big fucking worlds to explore dammit! It's why I'm hoping with a new Mario that they decide to do something different for once.  Super Mario 3D World was fun, but it's too much of the same, it's annoying.  I just want them to take what they did with Super Mario 64 and go BIG with it using their beautiful new graphics we are starting to see come through now with like Mario Kart 8.

I REALLY love Super Mario 64 lol

anruiukimi

« Reply #156 on: April 11, 2014, 01:44:08 pm »
I never noticed this thread!

Hmmm, I love most of the Koei strategy games?
FFVII, while I enjoyed it at the time, got old really quickly? (And the graphics aged far worse than the earlier sprite graphics of previous games.)

...can't think of any others at the moment.