Author Topic: Do You Have Any Unpopular Gaming Opinions?  (Read 17179 times)

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

Do You Have Any Unpopular Gaming Opinions?
« on: March 24, 2013, 02:52:20 pm »
Do you have any unpopular gaming opinions?

Here are mine:

-Zelda II, Castlevania II, and Super Mario Bros. 2 are all great sequels. Different, granted, but still good.
-I HATE the N64 Controller, A LOT.
-Sonic Adventure sucked
-I loved Super Mario Sunshine
-Zelda: Ocarina of Time is NOT the best Zelda game, or even the best N64 game.
-I like RPGs, however I'm not a huge fan of the Final Fantasy games.
-I think Halo 2 is the best entry in the series.
-I like old-school Resident Evil better than the new RE games.
-I think Spider-Man: The Movie is a far better game than Spider-Man 2.
-The original XBox was my favorite console last generation.
-I prefer a great single-player campaign to a good multiplayer game.
-I don't care if a game is complete and in pristine condition. I just want it to be a legitimate copy (not pirated) and in playable condition.
-I like Sonic 3D Blast.
-I like Oblivion better than Skyrim.
-The King's Field series is far better than the Demon's/Dark Souls games.

pacpix

Re: Do You Have Any Unpopular Gaming Opinions?
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2013, 03:19:44 pm »
-Zelda II, Castlevania II, and Super Mario Bros. 2 are all great sequels. Different, granted, but still good.
Definitely agree with you there. Super Mario Bros 2 and Zelda II are in my top three for their series.  I did not like Castlevania II though.

-Hydlide is not that bad, and is actually pretty fun.
-Wizardry IV is the hardest game ever.
-I did not like Wind Waker or the DS Zelda titles.
-Skyward Sword was good, but not Ocarina of Time or Link to the Past good.
Currently Playing: Dark Souls: Remastered (Switch)

scott

« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2013, 03:27:53 pm »
Do you have any unpopular gaming opinions?

Here are mine:

-I loved Super Mario Sunshine
-Zelda: Ocarina of Time is NOT the best Zelda game, or even the best N64 game.
-I think Halo 2 is the best entry in the series.
-I like old-school Resident Evil better than the new RE games.
-I prefer a great single-player campaign to a good multiplayer game.
-I like Sonic 3D Blast.

I agree with all of these.
Now Playing: Persona 5 Scramble, Animal Crossing: New Horizons, Mario Kart 8

Brush Wizard - Mini Painting Blog | The SHMUP: BYOAC Build | Art Thread

« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2013, 10:54:28 pm »
I'm probably going to be raked over the coals for some of these...

- The N64 is one of the worst consoles of all time, and its controller is probably the worst I've ever laid hands on.
- The Dreamcast controller is also pretty terrible.
- Mario and Sonic reached their expiration date a long time ago.
- Multiplayer gaming is largely a waste of time.
- Call of Duty is formulaic crap that's doing more harm than good to gaming as a whole.
- Game review sites backed by advertising and corporate interests are universally worthless.
- The average game critic lacks the knowledge, skill, or experience to properly review even half the games they attempt to write about, particularly when it comes to shmups and fighting games.
- Unless you're dirt poor or extremely young, if you only own a handful or two games, you're not a gamer.
- Motion controls like the Wiimote and Kinect are pointless gimmicks that set this generation back by several years.
- System Shock 2 is superior to any of the BioShock games released so far.
- Fallout and Fallout 2 beat the pants off Fallout 3 and New Vegas.
- Super Metroid is still the best game in the series by a huge margin.
- The current crop of "indie games" and so-called "art games" are almost universally not worth playing, and the presumption some people have that other games are somehow not art is ridiculous and insulting.

That should be enough venom for now :p

darko

« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2013, 12:28:51 am »
- The LoZ formula is stale.
- Most Sonic games are pretty awful.
- The best two Kirby games are Kirby's Pinball and Kirby's Avelanche.
- Sony has ruined their shot at the handheld market.
- The GBA is the best handheld console in existence.

« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2013, 12:40:11 am »
Let's see what happens to me ....:S

The N64 Castlevania games are good.
Mainline Zelda *really* needs a serious shake up.
The PSP is last gens Saturn (as in, unpopular but has lots of fantastic Jp-only games that people won't notice for a decade)
Could not give a stuff about this upcoming Ducktales remake (the D&D games though... YES!)
It's really not that difficult to by niche games, more people should look harder.

*runs*

soera

« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2013, 12:50:07 am »
I'm probably going to be raked over the coals for some of these...

- The N64 is one of the worst consoles of all time, and its controller is probably the worst I've ever laid hands on.
- The Dreamcast controller is also pretty terrible.
- Mario and Sonic reached their expiration date a long time ago.
- Multiplayer gaming is largely a waste of time.
- Call of Duty is formulaic crap that's doing more harm than good to gaming as a whole.
- Game review sites backed by advertising and corporate interests are universally worthless.
- The average game critic lacks the knowledge, skill, or experience to properly review even half the games they attempt to write about, particularly when it comes to shmups and fighting games.
- Unless you're dirt poor or extremely young, if you only own a handful or two games, you're not a gamer.
- Motion controls like the Wiimote and Kinect are pointless gimmicks that set this generation back by several years.
- System Shock 2 is superior to any of the BioShock games released so far.
- Fallout and Fallout 2 beat the pants off Fallout 3 and New Vegas.
- Super Metroid is still the best game in the series by a huge margin.
- The current crop of "indie games" and so-called "art games" are almost universally not worth playing, and the presumption some people have that other games are somehow not art is ridiculous and insulting.

That should be enough venom for now :p

Im not going to rake you over the coals ... Im going to absolutely agree 110% with everything other than whatever the shock stuff is. Im going to add my own few things :

If over 50% of your games come from gamestop, you can not consider yourself a gamer.
The Xbox 360 is a huge pile of crap.  Microsoft needs to stick to computer stuff and get the hell out of the console gaming business.

jcalder8

« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2013, 12:50:44 am »
- The SNES is overrated
- Xbox Duke controllers are the best
- Throws in fighting games are not cheap
- Reproduction/Translation carts are a waste of money
- Games should focus on single player before adding multi-player elements.

jcalder8

« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2013, 12:52:16 am »
If over 50% of your games come from gamestop, you can not consider yourself a gamer.
Not that I'm judging, I'm just wondering why you think that.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2013, 12:55:02 am by jcalder8 »

« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2013, 12:57:30 am »
- Reproduction/Translation carts are a waste of money

I agree completely, although I have to make an exception for myself - I own a bundle of bootleg Chinese MD games... they cost me £3 each and officially licensed versions never existed in the first place (I'm talking about original Chinese MD games like Feng Shen Ying Jie Chuan, not bootlegs of Shining Force/Contra or something).

Thought of one more - XBLA is the best "console" of this gen.

sin2beta

« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2013, 12:59:10 am »
Ones I have that actually seem to be popular "unpopular" picks:

- The N64 library worth owning is only about 10 games long. The controller is good for mario 64 and possibly Zelda, but that's it.
- I'm not a fan of final fantasy.

One's not mentioned (or not mentioned much)
- I like the virtual boy.
- I don't really like the PSone. The graphics were horrible and sony had the "no 2D" rule that made everything look awful.
- I do kind of like FMV games. However, kind of in a bad movie kind of way. So, that may not be unpopular.
- I prefer the genesis 3 button to 6 button. I am always disappointed that I have to switch controllers on games that require 6 buttons.
- I think this generation of gaming is one of the best.
UPDATED 01/22/2016 New Ages of SEGA "Space Slalom" is now on....
SegaNerds.com: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t7J9ZbGNB-c

« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2013, 01:20:01 am »
Ooo yay! Im so glad people have said a lot of stuff I tend to hold in, to add to the list...
-I Love the gamecube, one of my favorite consoles of all time
-I think the dreamcast WAS underrated but now is getting overrated... same with Earthbound
-I think SNK put out a lot more quality fighting games than Capcom
-Not the biggest RPG fan, wheather its turn-based or not
-I HATE beat-em-ups

« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2013, 01:37:44 am »
1.I think the Turbografx is the most underrated console.
2. I liked the n64 controller.
3. I hate the price of games that cost over 100$
4. I hate Microsoft.
5. I love terrible games.
6.I think co-op is the funnest part of games(most of the time).
7.only thing fun about call of duty is the muilti-ops.
8.Call of duty is way overrated and almost can't stand people when that's all they play.
PS4-zxzpigxzx
Ebay-https://VintageWarren

« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2013, 01:38:47 am »
The PSP is last gens Saturn (as in, unpopular but has lots of fantastic Jp-only games that people won't notice for a decade)
Could not give a stuff about this upcoming Ducktales remake (the D&D games though... YES!)
It's really not that difficult to by niche games, more people should look harder.

*runs*

I've built up a small, but healthy PSP collection since I got one about a year ago, and I have to say, I really don't understand the hate the it gets from some people. Absolutely fantastic library, even without digging into the import side of things, and there are dozens of games I'd bet most people aren't even remotely aware of when they claim the system sucks. Gotta love an underdog, though.

I'm finding that you're right about niche games, too. While the stuff on my wishlist isn't quite as obscure as some of what you cover on your blogs, there's a lot that I've had wishlisted since 2005 or so, but never really tried to track down because I thought it would be too rare or expensive. Once I actually started trying though, I found it's a lot easier than I expected, and prices aren't any worse than anything else out there. The sole obstacle is my own income, not the market itself, and when I look at it that way, I find my buying habits change in favor of all these niche games I've wanted and just kept putting off for stupid reasons.

« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2013, 01:44:36 am »
Oh sure! When I said "niche" I wasn't thinking of my kind of niche but just regular non-mainstream English titles - Under Defeat HD, Etrian Odyssey series, Culdcept, etc - there's a lot available but it seems people think that if it's not in the top ten of their local store it doesn't exist.