Author Topic: Recently completed/finished  (Read 187724 times)

Re: Recently completed/finished
« Reply #300 on: June 04, 2014, 12:04:34 am »
Just wrapped up The Last of Us and Remember Me last week. I liked The Last of Us, but came away feeling like reviews should've been more around the 8.0 range. It's not that it's bad, but there are some really nasty problems with the AI, the constant stream of generic gun-toting dudes gets old after about 2 minutes, and only about 30% of the game feels like actual survival horror. The parts where you play Ellie are absolutely fantastic, though.

As for Remember Me... well, it's gorgeous. The rest is an attempt to mesh Arkham Asylum and God Hand, but winds up more simplistic and dull than either of them. Too bad, it had a lot of potential.

soera

« Reply #301 on: June 04, 2014, 01:29:46 am »
Jaws gets a bad rap.  People call it terrible because the LJN logo is on it.  It's not that bad of a bad game.

Im going to have to call you on this one good sir. I simply despised this game. You would blast that fucking shark for 4 hours straight and he would nose you once and you lose.

spac316

« Reply #302 on: June 04, 2014, 02:46:56 am »
Jaws gets a bad rap.  People call it terrible because the LJN logo is on it.  It's not that bad of a bad game.
Yeah, it is fun. It's not a masterpiece by any means but it's not the worst. Hard to believe how easy it could be once you know how to play it. Gave me trouble as a kid but of course we didn't have internet back then so couldn't look it up.
It is rather satisfying to beat a game you couldn't as a kid!

argyle

« Reply #303 on: June 04, 2014, 04:16:54 am »
Just wrapped up The Last of Us and Remember Me last week. I liked The Last of Us, but came away feeling like reviews should've been more around the 8.0 range. It's not that it's bad, but there are some really nasty problems with the AI, the constant stream of generic gun-toting dudes gets old after about 2 minutes, and only about 30% of the game feels like actual survival horror. The parts where you play Ellie are absolutely fantastic, though.

That was my feeling as well, but then I'm not the biggest stealth fan and really wasn't expecting such a focus on stealth going in (I had been on media blackout for it since I knew I was picking it up anyway).  Loved the story, but that wasn't enough for me to even put it in my personal top 10 last year. 
"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed
if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I
became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the
desire to be very grown up.” ― C.S. Lewis

scott

« Reply #304 on: June 04, 2014, 09:08:46 am »
And Super Mario Land 2 has been beaten again! Man, Wario's Castle beat my ass though.

Completed Games of 2014:
1. Resogun (PS4)
2. Contrast (PS4)
3. Castlevania - NES Classics (GBA)
4. Castlevania: Lords of Shadow
5. Diablo III (PC)
6. Diablo III: Reaper of Souls (Campaign & Crusader to 70) (PC)
7. Castlevania II: Simon's Quest (3DS VC)
8. Super Mario Land (GB)
9. Super Mario Land 2: Six Golden Coins (GB)
Now Playing: Persona 5 Scramble, Animal Crossing: New Horizons, Mario Kart 8

Brush Wizard - Mini Painting Blog | The SHMUP: BYOAC Build | Art Thread

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #305 on: June 04, 2014, 12:01:03 pm »
Games beaten this year:
-Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow (GBA)
-Castlevania: Harmony of Dissonance (GBA)
-Castlevania: Portrait of Ruin (DS)
-Dungeons & Dragons: Chronicles of Mystara (XBox Live Arcade) (I beat both games: Tower of Doom & Shadow of Mystara)
-The Legend of Zelda: Link Between Worlds (3DS)
-Mega Man Legends (PS1) - Beat Again
-New Super Mario Bros. 2 (3DS)
-Super Mario 3D Land (3DS)
-WWE 2K14 (XBox 360)

-Spyro: Year of the Dragon (PS1)

It's more of what you got and loved in Spyro 1 & 2. Nothing especially innovative here, just a great 3D platformer, with lots of charm, and a ton of fun. Had a blast with it! I wish Insomniac would have kept making these, because the 5th gen Spyro games don't hold a candle to the PS1 games.

I still have to go back and play-through the Sparx worlds I unlocked after beating it, though. And I want more Raceway levels!

« Reply #306 on: June 04, 2014, 12:07:55 pm »
well technically you still have a whole new world and a real ending to get. I think it was the 3rd? Spare level thats kind of cheap.

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

« Reply #307 on: June 04, 2014, 12:15:20 pm »
Finally unlocked the "Fiend Colony" & beat King Vermin in FFX-2 HD...

...next up (to unlock & clear) is that miserable "Choco-Ho" dungeon  :-\
"Attempts must be made, even when there can be no hope.
 The alternative is despair.
 And betimes some wonder is wrought to redeem us"

abe

« Reply #308 on: June 04, 2014, 12:43:24 pm »
Oh boy, I'm on a roll this year. ;D Although, a lot of them are just really short shooters.  :-\

Finished so far 2014:
-Battlefield 3 (PS3)
-Battlefield Bad Company (PS3)
-Bulletstorm (PS3)
-CoD: Ghosts (PS3)
-Corpse Party: Book of Shadows (PSP)
-Disgaea 3: Absence of Justice (PS3)
-Far Cry 3 (PS3)
-God Eater Burst (PSP)
-Gravity Rush (PS Vita)
-Hyperdimension Neptunia Mk.2 (PS3)
-Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory (PS3)
-Killzone 3 (PS3)
-Little Big Planet 2 (PS3)
-Persona 3 Portable (PSP)
-Persona 4 Golden (PS Vita)
-Rune Factory 4 (3DS)
-Super Mario Galaxy (Wii)
-Uncharted: Golden Abyss (PS Vita)
Currently playing: Persona 5 (PS4)

« Reply #309 on: June 05, 2014, 04:03:54 pm »
That was my feeling as well, but then I'm not the biggest stealth fan and really wasn't expecting such a focus on stealth going in (I had been on media blackout for it since I knew I was picking it up anyway).  Loved the story, but that wasn't enough for me to even put it in my personal top 10 last year.

I like stealth, but I'm often disappointed by how it's implemented in games, and even sold Shadow of Rome several years ago because it was so poorly done. The Last of Us isn't that bad, but I did discover that the AI cheats - human enemies modify their patrol routes based on where you happen to be hiding, even if you haven't been spotted once. So no matter how skillfully you're playing, someone will eventually just happen to walk directly toward your location and force you to move, and it's based on pre-set points in each area. Took me awhile to realize it too, but when I was playing the hospital level near the end, I found that if I was crouched on the right side of a particular wall, the guard would go right and into a nearby room, but if I crouched on the left side, he'd walk directly toward my location, come around the wall, and spot me if I didn't move. Total bullshit.

In that same level, I went the left route, circled around the central area, and immediately after jumping over a wall and hiding in a small room, the guards suddenly announced that they were going to 'check over there' and two of them walked directly to my position.

I described it on Twitter as "cinematic goat herding" where no matter what you do, the developers are intent on making sure that your actions really have little impact on what happens, and you're left to just herd your goat from one place to the next.

foxhack

« Reply #310 on: June 07, 2014, 05:54:49 pm »
I finished Murdered: Soul Suspect (PC) last night. It took me about 8 hours from start to finish, and an extra 4 hours spent on struggling against the crappy combat system that was blatantly designed for gamepads (not mouse and keyboard) and backtracking to get missing collectibles. Even then there's one stage in the game that I can't revisit due to story-related things so I won't be able to get all the achievements... unless I start a new game. And frankly, I'm too burned out to do that right now.

My opinion? Good game, but not $50 good. The game is filled with bugs that could've easily been caught during QA but I guess Squeenix was too busy killing the game by not even promoting it to give a damn about budgeting for QA testing.

« Reply #311 on: June 08, 2014, 02:00:37 pm »
Technically finished Drakengard 3. It has similar branching, continuing endings like Nier, but the absolute final boss is a ridiculous 6-8 min long, zero margin of error rhythm game with no checkpoints that I've tried beating somewhere around 40-50 times and still can't finish. I even tried syncing a YouTube video with it, since after about 3 mins, the camera starts obscuring where you are and you're expected to hit the buttons in time with the music by ear.

Quite a few people want it to be patched, but I really doubt that's going to happen. Sad too, because I really loved the game up to this point, but I'm walking away from it feeling totally down about the experience.

90snostalga

« Reply #312 on: June 11, 2014, 06:45:00 am »
Finished the wonderful game Pandora's Tower.  I really really really really enjoyed this game and especially the story  :) 8)  Recommended indeed...

Just a self update for me so I can remember the games completed this year:

1.  Grand Theft Auto 3 (PS2)
2.  Resident Evil 2 (Dreamcast)
3.  Shenmue 2  (Xbox)
4.  Super Mario Bros. (NES)
5.  Super Mario Bros. 2 (NES)
6.  Super Mario Bros. 3 (NES)
7.  Donkey Kong Country (SNES)
8.  Wolfenstein 3D (PC)
9.  Diablo (PC)
10.Grand Theft Auto: Vice City (PS2)
11.Bully:  Scholarship Edition (360)
12.Pandora's Tower (Wii)

soera

« Reply #313 on: June 11, 2014, 11:18:37 am »
Finished the wonderful game Pandora's Tower.  I really really really really enjoyed this game and especially the story  :) 8)  Recommended indeed...

3.  Shenmue 2  (Xbox)
8.  Wolfenstein 3D (PC)
9.  Diablo (PC)
12.Pandora's Tower (Wii)

You have beat more games this year than Ive probably even gotten to play this year. I need a life vacation where I can game it up.

90snostalga

« Reply #314 on: June 11, 2014, 03:30:08 pm »

3.  Shenmue 2  (Xbox)
8.  Wolfenstein 3D (PC)
9.  Diablo (PC)
12.Pandora's Tower (Wii)

You have beat more games this year than Ive probably even gotten to play this year. I need a life vacation where I can game it up.

Stop delivering pizzas!!!!!!!    lol ;)