Author Topic: Matt's ToDo List  (Read 19529 times)

foxhack

Re: Matt's ToDo List
« Reply #60 on: March 20, 2013, 12:32:00 pm »
But some people really shouldn't be allowed to add items right away...

ALL of this...but...determining, singling-out, and making public/drawing attention to who these "some people" are, I think...well...that there would just not be any nice, easy, and/or polite ways to do this...
I never gave names. :P

I just wish there was a way to limit folks from adding items until they read -how- to add them so we don't end up with more dupes than necessary.

And yeah, I sounded mean. I'm sorry.

« Reply #61 on: March 20, 2013, 12:36:17 pm »
First ten subs/edits are put in a queue until they're approved? Would that help weed out some of the trouble?

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

« Reply #62 on: March 20, 2013, 12:37:41 pm »
But some people really shouldn't be allowed to add items right away...

ALL of this...but...determining, singling-out, and making public/drawing attention to who these "some people" are, I think...well...that there would just not be any nice, easy, and/or polite ways to do this...
I never gave names. :P

I just wish there was a way to limit folks from adding items until they read -how- to add them so we don't end up with more dupes than necessary.

And yeah, I sounded mean. I'm sorry.

I didn't mean to imply that you ever did :)

I was just agreeing with you (based moreso on the "knowing what to do -before- doing it" piece).
"Attempts must be made, even when there can be no hope.
 The alternative is despair.
 And betimes some wonder is wrought to redeem us"

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

« Reply #63 on: March 20, 2013, 12:41:31 pm »
First ten subs/edits are put in a queue until they're approved? Would that help weed out some of the trouble?

Could help...I was thinking of some kind of 'practice'/'hypothetical' submission to be done & approved before having limitless editing/submission abilities.

This way, it could be a quick 'n' simple blanket & generic kind of thing *and*, if there's any problems, it's (I think) the best way & time to catch them & address them.

/2cents
"Attempts must be made, even when there can be no hope.
 The alternative is despair.
 And betimes some wonder is wrought to redeem us"

sin2beta

« Reply #64 on: March 22, 2013, 07:00:08 pm »
Well, the current submission system seems fine at the moment. If badges were desired, they can be added. If it does in fact turn out to be bad, badges for submissions can be disabled. May not be necessary to change the system due to a possible consequence from incentivizing submissions.
UPDATED 01/22/2016 New Ages of SEGA "Space Slalom" is now on....
SegaNerds.com: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t7J9ZbGNB-c

insektmute

« Reply #65 on: March 24, 2013, 01:00:26 am »
In the meantime, maybe we should do a monthly cleanup project of sorts that everyone can try and contribute to? I remember someone (maybe Matt?) mentioning that hardware is a bit of a mess these days, but I've noticed others (PC Engine games, etc) that are just missing a lot of things, like cover images, barcodes, etc.

I periodically start doing stuff like that, but after a dozen submissions or so, get tired and wind up forgetting where I left off...

pacpix

« Reply #66 on: March 24, 2013, 01:20:10 am »
I periodically start doing stuff like that, but after a dozen submissions or so, get tired and wind up forgetting where I left off...
Currently Playing: Dark Souls: Remastered (Switch)

foxhack

« Reply #67 on: March 24, 2013, 12:18:23 pm »
In the meantime, maybe we should do a monthly cleanup project of sorts that everyone can try and contribute to? I remember someone (maybe Matt?) mentioning that hardware is a bit of a mess these days, but I've noticed others (PC Engine games, etc) that are just missing a lot of things, like cover images, barcodes, etc.

A new user added a ridiculous amount of Japanese PSP games recently, and I've been trying to clean that section up. But I've been way too busy lately.

darko

« Reply #68 on: March 25, 2013, 02:06:20 pm »
What if there was a period of time that a new user had to wait to submit an update/add new items? That might seem like it takes away from the draw of VGC a bit, but it would also give new users a chance to go through and see how things are correctly input.

insektmute

« Reply #69 on: March 26, 2013, 01:44:16 pm »
I dig that idea. At the very least, it would probably cut down on people who create an account, add a ton of duplicates without even trying to search, and then just kind of disappear into the ether.

I'm still annoyed with that dude who added like 20 Tales duplicates.

scott

« Reply #70 on: March 26, 2013, 02:14:25 pm »
Game Boy, Game Boy Advance, DuckTales, Pokemon, and anything with the word "the" in the beginning of the name are the worst for duplicated entries... its a wonder I have hair left.
Now Playing: Persona 5 Scramble, Animal Crossing: New Horizons, Mario Kart 8

Brush Wizard - Mini Painting Blog | The SHMUP: BYOAC Build | Art Thread

« Reply #71 on: April 15, 2013, 03:21:58 pm »
Hey Matt,

Is there any way to add a section for rarity. That's the only thing that seems to be missing. It would be great to sort games by rarity, or to know the rarity of the games in your collection, without having to recheck everything.

Thank you.
Retrotoycollector

How many games do I need? As many as I can get...

turf

PRO Supporter

« Reply #72 on: April 15, 2013, 04:03:30 pm »
The problem with Rarity is that it seems to change with demand.  A few years ago Little Samson wasn't considered "Rare".  Good luck finding one now.

desocietas

« Reply #73 on: April 15, 2013, 08:18:38 pm »
The problem with Rarity is that it seems to change with demand.  A few years ago Little Samson wasn't considered "Rare".  Good luck finding one now.

While the reverse has happened with Devil Summoner 1 and 2 now...
Currently playing:
FFXIV (PC), The Witcher (PC), Monster Hunter World: Iceborne (PS4)
twitch.tv/desocietas

scott

« Reply #74 on: April 15, 2013, 08:47:32 pm »

While the reverse has happened with Devil Summoner 1 and 2 now...

And good thing it did too. So I can finally own these babies!
Now Playing: Persona 5 Scramble, Animal Crossing: New Horizons, Mario Kart 8

Brush Wizard - Mini Painting Blog | The SHMUP: BYOAC Build | Art Thread