Author Topic: Just got an Xbox... what games should I get  (Read 2486 times)

Just got an Xbox... what games should I get
« on: March 28, 2013, 05:46:43 pm »
My friend gave me his old original Xbox but there were no games and now I have to buy some. I completely ignored the Xbox platform when it came out so I have no idea what is available for it.
I plan on picking up Halo 1 and 2 since i've never experienced them but other than that I don't know what else to look for. I'm really into JRPGs but am willing to try anything if its a great story and good price. So I ask you for your recommendations; What are some good exclusive titles that I can pick up for a good price.

sin2beta

Re: Just got an Xbox... what games should I get
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2013, 07:57:01 pm »
Congratulations on the XBox. It can be the perfect starter system for a JRPG fan. This is because the system is a lot of times valued enough to be able to be traded for a playstation, which has a ton of JRPG games. Just kidding.

But seriously, the xbox is not rich in JRPG games. In fact, I can't think of a single one. It has some good western RPG games, if you have not played games like Mass Effect, give Knights of the Old Republic a try. You might like it.

I could list some games, but there are some great resources. We are currently making a list of the best 100 xbox games. So, check that thread out. Also racketboy has some good game suggestions. I would suggest reading these and seeing what looks interesting. The xbox is a great system.

http://www.racketboy.com/retro/microsoft/xbox/the-best-undiscovered-xbox-games
http://www.racketboy.com/retro/microsoft/xbox/the-best-xbox-games-under-10
http://vgcollect.com/forum/index.php/topic,3212.0.html
UPDATED 01/22/2016 New Ages of SEGA "Space Slalom" is now on....
SegaNerds.com: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t7J9ZbGNB-c

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2013, 08:34:59 pm »
^ Even though it doesn't have pretty much any JRPGs, it's a FANTASTIC system for western RPGs:

-Arx Fatalis
-Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance 1 & 2
-Bard's Tale
-Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind (Best game last generation, hands down)
-Fable
-Dungeons & Dragons: Heroes
-Jade Empire
-Justice League: Heroes
-Knights of the Old Republic 1 & 2
-Marvel: Ultimate Alliance
-X-Men Legends 1 & 2

And it has other great exclusives:
-Buffy the Vampire Slayer
-Chronicles of Riddick: Escape From Butcher Bay
-Crimson Skies: High Road to Revenge
-Farcry: Instincts
-Halo 1 & 2
-MechAssault 1 & 2
-Ninja Gaiden
-Outrun 2
-Panzer Dragoon: Orta
-Shenmue II
-Tecmo Arcade Classics
-WWE Raw 1 & 2

As well as the best versions of multiplatform games last generation.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2013, 08:42:47 pm by burningdoom »

brunauss

« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2013, 12:24:11 am »
^ Even though it doesn't have pretty much any JRPGs, it's a FANTASTIC system for western RPGs:

-Arx Fatalis
-Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance 1 & 2
-Bard's Tale
-Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind (Best game last generation, hands down)
-Fable
-Dungeons & Dragons: Heroes
-Jade Empire
-Justice League: Heroes
-Knights of the Old Republic 1 & 2
-Marvel: Ultimate Alliance
-X-Men Legends 1 & 2

And it has other great exclusives:
-Buffy the Vampire Slayer
-Chronicles of Riddick: Escape From Butcher Bay
-Crimson Skies: High Road to Revenge
-Farcry: Instincts
-Halo 1 & 2
-MechAssault 1 & 2
-Ninja Gaiden
-Outrun 2
-Panzer Dragoon: Orta
-Shenmue II
-Tecmo Arcade Classics
-WWE Raw 1 & 2

As well as the best versions of multiplatform games last generation.

I backup this persons suggestions and lets throw in an extreme racer by the name of Quantum Redshift as well.
SWFL Werewolf Gamer

« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2013, 09:13:26 am »
Don't get just any Fable get the one with the lost chapters.. I would also add Narc in that list it is quite fun to ruff people up take drugs and be a all out good or bad cop.
Currently Playing - Plants Vs. Zombies: Warfare (PC) / Looking for Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance II Manual

« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2013, 09:24:33 am »
Don't get just any Fable get the one with the lost chapters.. I would also add Narc in that list it is quite fun to ruff people up take drugs and be a all out good or bad cop.

The Greatest Hits version of Fable includes the lost chapters.

The only JRPG for the original Xbox I can think of is Metal Dungeon. Not a horrible game, but it gets very repetitive and being in a maze gets boring.

soera

« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2013, 10:39:58 am »
Congratulations on the XBox. It can be the perfect starter system for a JRPG fan. This is because the system is a lot of times valued enough to be able to be traded for a playstation, which has a ton of JRPG games. Just kidding.

This is the funniest thing I have read in a while!

I would like to second the mentioning of : D&D heroes, Dark Alliance 1&2, and definitely Morrowind GOTY. That game had me so engrossed when it was released that my live in girlfriend at the time sold off all my shit when I was at work one day just to get me playing ... instead it just got rid of her. :P

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2013, 11:52:03 am »

This is the funniest thing I have read in a while!

;D

Me too!

I missed-out on it the 1st time (until you quoted it)...and, I'm *still* laughing :)
"Attempts must be made, even when there can be no hope.
 The alternative is despair.
 And betimes some wonder is wrought to redeem us"

tpugmire

« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2013, 11:54:05 am »
I'm interested to see what kind of recommendations this gets too, since over the past couple years, I have been given 2 Xboxes and have yet to buy a single game.  Nothing looks all that interesting to me.
This message was brought to you by Tootsie Rolls, the official candy of vgcollect.com

soera

« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2013, 12:10:08 pm »
I have an Xbox that sits in my game room. This is my game list : http://vgcollect.com/soera/xbox (the bottom 3 games come from a huge buyout I did last year, none of which have been played at all).

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2013, 12:11:22 pm »
I'd prolly grab Morrowind - just since I've never played it...
"Attempts must be made, even when there can be no hope.
 The alternative is despair.
 And betimes some wonder is wrought to redeem us"

« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2013, 12:38:14 pm »
Never been a big fan of the Xbox, but I'd recommend Panzer Dragoon Orta, Gunvalkyrie, Jet Set Radio Future, Shenmue II, Silent Hill 2: Restless Dreams, both Otogi games, and both Fatal Frame games.

Haven't gotten to play it myself, but I've heard great things about Call of Cthulhu: Dark Corners of the Earth too, and as far as I know, the PC version is just a straight port of it.

« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2013, 12:38:57 pm »
Never been a big fan of the Xbox, but I'd recommend Panzer Dragoon Orta, Gunvalkyrie, Jet Set Radio Future, Shenmue II, Silent Hill 2: Restless Dreams, both Otogi games, and both Fatal Frame games.

Almost exactly what I'd say :)

« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2013, 12:39:41 pm »
Stick with PC if you're interested in any of the Knights of the Old Republic stuff, btw. Too many good mods available to pass up, and in the case of KotOR II, there's a fan-made patch that restores a lot of cut content.

« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2013, 04:49:46 pm »
Otogi 1 and 2, Panzer Dragoon Orta, Buffy, Phantom Dust, GunValkyrie, JSRF and Oddworld: Stranger's Wrath are all essential imo.

This is probably one of the most underrated consoles as far as I'm concerned.