Author Topic: Shin Megami Tensei  (Read 14197 times)

Shin Megami Tensei
« on: September 08, 2011, 01:20:17 am »
I have never played any games in this series, and I'm looking at getting into it. The Wikipedia page had a lot of Shin Megami Tensei games listed, so I'm wondering where to begin? What are your favorites?

Also, I'm thinking about getting Devil Survivor Overclocked for the 3DS, but I'm not sure if it follows the story line form any previous games. Advice?

desocietas

Re: Shin Megami Tensei
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2011, 02:13:08 am »
I love the SMT series (and the other games made by the same people)... but there are definitely a heck of a lot of them...  I've preordered Persona 2 for the PSP and have been going back and forth about getting Overclocked (I already have the original Devil Survivor).

I happened to start with Digital Devil Saga and was blown away.  Forgot about the series until Persona 3 FES came out and was immediately hooked after that.

To answer your wonderings about Devil Survivor, I think it's its in it's own world separate from the others, but they all share a lot of similar elements.

For reference, my SMT games owned/played (will be easier once we get those folders going in our collections!):
Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Summoner 2: Raidou Kuzunoha vs. King Abaddon - Raiho Special Edition
Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Survivor
Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne
Shin Megami Tensei: Digital Devil Saga
Shin Megami Tensei: Persona
Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 3 FES
Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 3 Portable
Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 4
Shin Megami Tensei: Strange Journey

I'm definitely interested in what other folks think!
Currently playing:
FFXIV (PC), The Witcher (PC), Monster Hunter World: Iceborne (PS4)
twitch.tv/desocietas

« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2011, 03:57:52 am »
I've only played Persona 3/P3 FES and Persona 4, but Persona 3 is one of my top 5 favorite RPGs I've ever played.  Oh Aigis.. *swoon*

amauriel

« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2011, 02:29:01 pm »
I'm collecting the Megami Tensei games, so I'm very willing to answer any questions I can about them (have done lots of research).  The first game released in the U.S. in the series was actually Jack Bros. for the Virtual Boy, which was just a spin-off game (to put it in FF terms, think spin-off like Chocobo's Tales).

Basically, the games can be played in any order. Again, think FF (the games aren't that similar, just know people are familiar with how they work) and how you can play FF6 without playing FF4 or FF5...each one has different protagonists even though they all take place in the same or similar universes.

Specifically on Devil Survivor: Overclocked, it's a remake of Devil Survivor for the DS (lots of extra voice acting and an extra day, I'm not through it yet) but the game was the first in it's branch of the SMT games.

I would honestly suggest starting with at least SMT games. Going back and playing the Megami Tensei games (Japan-only releases, btw) is like playing Grand Theft Auto 1...fans get something out of it but if you aren't a fan, the lack of polish might turn you off of the whole series.

I really loved Persona 3 and that's what got me into collecting them, but Digital Devil Saga, Devil Summoner, or Devil Survivor are fine places to start too. I would not personally start with Strange Journey since it's got a Sci-Fi element that the other games don't have and doesn't really show you what the series has to offer.

Let me know if there's anything I can clarify or help with!
"You can buy everything, except love, friendship, and exp. points."

scott

« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2011, 02:50:20 pm »
This is some good info! I was also interested in trying some of these. I've also heard from others that Persona 3 is a good jumping point.
Now Playing: Persona 5 Scramble, Animal Crossing: New Horizons, Mario Kart 8

Brush Wizard - Mini Painting Blog | The SHMUP: BYOAC Build | Art Thread

darko

« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2011, 03:02:24 pm »
I'd recommend starting with Nocturne if you want to get a good feel for the SMT world. My favorite title is either Nocturne or Persona 4. My first experience with SMT was Digital Devil Saga. It's awesome but you would have to buy both of them to complete the story.

I have all of the US released SMT games besides Catherine, Persona 1, and Devil Survivor Overclocked (since I already own the DS release). All of them are great IMO.

amauriel

« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2011, 04:24:42 pm »
Glad to hear others are collecting SMT games too...I guess I figured I was the only one! Although darko, I think you have more than I do!

And Catherine is NOT an SMT (but has a few of the same development groups), so you can mark that one off your list. :)
"You can buy everything, except love, friendship, and exp. points."

« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2011, 06:41:56 pm »
All of these responses have been extremely helpful!

I will likely start with the Devil Survivor Overclocked since I'm really digging my 3DS right now. Then I will definitely go with all of the recommendations (Nocturne, Digital Devil Survivor, and Persona 3 & 4). I'm really looking forward to this now!

desocietas

« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2011, 07:29:32 pm »
And Catherine is NOT an SMT (but has a few of the same development groups), so you can mark that one off your list. :)

Yep, that's why I didn't include it on my list of SMT games :)  ... but a fun one nonetheless!
Currently playing:
twitch.tv/desocietas

desocietas

« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2011, 07:32:38 pm »
I would not personally start with Strange Journey since it's got a Sci-Fi element that the other games don't have and doesn't really show you what the series has to offer.

I agree... also, in some ways it's definitely not as forgiving difficulty-wise, which could be a turn-off.
Currently playing:
twitch.tv/desocietas

desocietas

« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2011, 07:39:06 pm »
I think Persona 3 (I'd recommend the Playstation 2 version, not the PSP port) is perhaps my favorite.  People love Nocturne, but I haven't played it enough to give a good opinion; however, it did remind me a lot of Digital Devil Saga.  Persona 4 is also good, but I just preferred the characters and story in Persona 3 more for some reason (the glasses in 4 kinda bug me... idk why).
Currently playing:
twitch.tv/desocietas

darko

« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2011, 11:44:08 am »

You're right. My bad.

I will likely start with the Devil Survivor Overclocked since I'm really digging my 3DS right now. Then I will definitely go with all of the recommendations (Nocturne, Digital Devil Survivor, and Persona 3 & 4). I'm really looking forward to this now!

If you're going to buy Persona 3 for the PS2 get the FES version. If you want a Nocturne for cheap (game disc and box art only, disc looks terrible but still loads up and plays fine) then let me know. I have an extra copy.

« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2011, 01:13:07 am »
I picked up Devil Survivor Overclocked yesterday, but I won't be playing it right away. (Star Fox 64 3D first!) I'm anticipating that I'll like it, so after that I will move on to the recommendations.

desocietas

« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2011, 01:47:23 am »
I picked up Devil Survivor Overclocked yesterday, but I won't be playing it right away. (Star Fox 64 3D first!) I'm anticipating that I'll like it, so after that I will move on to the recommendations.

My roommate and I have been contemplating getting Star Fox 3D to play together... Let me know what you think of it!
Currently playing:
twitch.tv/desocietas

darko

« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2011, 03:08:54 am »
I am too actually. Between SF3D, the HD remakes of Ico & Shadow of the Colossus, Skyrim and MW3 I should have plenty to play over the next several months.