Author Topic: Anyone still get gaming magazines?  (Read 4809 times)

sin2beta

Anyone still get gaming magazines?
« on: April 16, 2013, 11:41:29 pm »
I was coming home late today and stopped by Barnes and Noble. Went to the game section and it hit me just how small that section is now. I knew a lot went under, but it is weird to actually see how few there are. I thumbed through retro gamer (good zine) and decided to purchase the official XBox magazine. I really enjoyed it. I was shocked at how much I liked it. Subscriptions are INSANELY cheap as well. 12 issues for 25 bucks. I think I would really enjoy it for 2 dollars per issue.

Does anyone else subscribe or regularly purchase video game magazines?
UPDATED 01/22/2016 New Ages of SEGA "Space Slalom" is now on....
SegaNerds.com: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t7J9ZbGNB-c

Re: Anyone still get gaming magazines?
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2013, 11:52:04 pm »
ya know I really should! I used to get game informer years ago and loved it. idk what happened. I guess I kinda forgot about them
PS4-zxzpigxzx
Ebay-https://VintageWarren

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2013, 09:56:43 am »
Yeah - since it works-out to be free, I've been getting GI for...probably...the last 7-10 years, or so.

Of course, since they're owned by Gamestop - everything I see in there is taken w/ several grains of salt  8)
"Attempts must be made, even when there can be no hope.
 The alternative is despair.
 And betimes some wonder is wrought to redeem us"

sin2beta

« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2013, 11:23:52 am »
Yeah - since it works-out to be free, I've been getting GI for...probably...the last 7-10 years, or so.

Of course, since they're owned by Gamestop - everything I see in there is taken w/ several grains of salt  8)

I haven't seen inside a Game Informer in about 10 years, but the cynic in me thinks it is just full of "Preorder Call of Duty: Black Ops: 20 : Enemy Under the Red Siege: Expansion Pack now and receive a purple hat for DLC. Power to the Players" But I thought that about the XBox magazine, and it wasn't at all. I may have to look in a Game Informer sometime. Honestly, they still seem to feel like old GamePro or EGM magazines.

Nintendo Power always felt different though. Mostly strategy. At least the early days.

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2013, 11:33:14 am »
Yeah - if nothing else- GI does get some decent interviews, "best of"/"Top #___" lists & subjects, and articles on retro/"history of gaming" sort of things...
"Attempts must be made, even when there can be no hope.
 The alternative is despair.
 And betimes some wonder is wrought to redeem us"

desocietas

« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2013, 12:03:49 pm »
Yeah I was really against getting GI for a long time but eventually gave in, knowing it'd be worth it considering the cost of the pro membership, etc.  I loved GamePro, Nintendo Power and Playstation magazine (remember the demo discs?!) back in the day but it's hard finding a magazine these days that isn't solely devoted to one console only.

I've been slightly pleased overall with GI, though, after a year or so of getting it.  It's fun to look through while you're eatin' cereal.
Currently playing:
FFXIV (PC), The Witcher (PC), Monster Hunter World: Iceborne (PS4)
twitch.tv/desocietas

soera

« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2013, 12:59:11 pm »
Ive been getting Game informer for a few years now. I dont even look at them anymore. I just shelve them. When the subscription ends, I dont plan to renew. Its not a "gaming" magazine to me, its just a big long ad for Gamestop. I miss old issues of Nintendo power and Game Pro. Where you could go in there, look at a play through of a game ... get some cheat codes and hints ... All done with drawings and graphic designs. Ive looked at the retro game magazine but that thing is way costly (I think its based in UK somewhere).

soera

« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2013, 04:31:39 pm »
Its ironic reading my last post. I just got my issue of Game informer in and its the expiration notice issue. So apparently I am done. O

I thumbed through it and at least 2 articles in there are about the physical vs digital future of our beloved hobby. It seems that Gamestop is getting worried that their brand of ... whatever ... is feeling threatened.

sin2beta

« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2013, 04:38:22 pm »
Ive been getting Game informer for a few years now. I dont even look at them anymore. I just shelve them. When the subscription ends, I dont plan to renew. Its not a "gaming" magazine to me, its just a big long ad for Gamestop. I miss old issues of Nintendo power and Game Pro. Where you could go in there, look at a play through of a game ... get some cheat codes and hints ... All done with drawings and graphic designs. Ive looked at the retro game magazine but that thing is way costly (I think its based in UK somewhere).

That's exactly what put me of Retro Gamer. A subscription is £60. That is crazy! I know they have less ads, shipped across the ocean, and the UK postal service (from what I've experienced) is nowhere as cheap as the US postal system. But still, that's like 90 USD a year. Crazy for a magazine.

I noticed that Electronic Gaming Monthly came back though. I suspect it is name only. I have no idea if any of the writing or editorial staff came back.

As a kid I loved GamePro. I still have fond memories of looking at what Major Mike, Dan Elektro, or Miss Spell thought about a game. I also miss all of the staff names you would remember in Nintendo. Howard Phillips, NOA Andy, etc. These magazines created people that we identified with. As a kid, it was not Nintendo that I liked, it was Howard Phillips, NOA Andy, etc.

This is what brought me to Microsoft lately, I feel like the do the best with Major Nelson, Red vs Blue (not Microsoft but very much part of the XBox culture). This is a serious question and not trolling at all, does Sony have any of these public figures? I know of Mike Cerny, but he is mainly business right? They have the tester show... but anything like Howard Phillips or Major Nelson?

brunauss

« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2013, 06:01:12 pm »
Game magazine sections are tragically small. But I still get my monthly Game Informer.
SWFL Werewolf Gamer

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2013, 08:10:37 pm »
I was subscribed to Game Informer because of the GameStop discount card, but I realized I wasn't spending much at GameStop anymore and let it expire (I do more game shopping online and at Goodwill anymore).

But I was not a big fan of Game Informer. They were quite opinionated, and at times flat-out rude to their fanbase. I've seen them just flat-out ridicule fans in their letter section for disagreeing with them. I also don't like they seem to have an affinity for "bro" games far more than other genres.

When I did read gaming magazines regularly (and many were still around), Game Player's and Electronic Gaming Monthly were easily my favorites. They always had a wide range of coverage for many systems and genres, which is what I really liked. I loved reading about games that I might not have had access to readily.

lordscott

« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2013, 08:53:09 am »
I haven't got any gaming magazines yet before and no i don't know is it ever too late to start collecting them if i choose to do so and don't worry i don't mind start a collection  &/or read some and it also basically depends on if i love that system as well mostly/or if it came with free game demo CD or anything free like that and rest assured i will still get it even if it doesn't come with anything free and i haven't decided if i should start a collection yet :).

dstone

PRO Supporter

« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2013, 07:52:06 pm »
I had subscriptions to SegaVisions and Dreamcast Magazine back in the day. Miss those. Had GameInformer on and off over the years and never really cared for it. Only thing I presently get is VideoGameTrader Magazine which is half articles and half price guide (although their values can be quite questionable at times). I'd love to get Retro Gamer but I'm not about to shell out  ~$90 for a magazine (especially when I can redirect those funds to more games or comic books).

scott

« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2013, 08:00:23 pm »
I only get Game Informer. I was going to get back into my sub for Nintendo Power... but we all know how that turned out.

Honestly, the only game mag I really liked was Nintendo Power, and only old Nintendo Power. Back when they had maps of NES games in it and it was awesome.
Now Playing: Persona 5 Scramble, Animal Crossing: New Horizons, Mario Kart 8

Brush Wizard - Mini Painting Blog | The SHMUP: BYOAC Build | Art Thread

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2013, 08:04:06 pm »
I only get Game Informer. I was going to get back into my sub for Nintendo Power... but we all know how that turned out.

Honestly, the only game mag I really liked was Nintendo Power, and only old Nintendo Power. Back when they had maps of NES games in it and it was awesome.

That last year or two they were around, the quality really did jump up a lot. But for years before that, yeah, it just wasn't the same as the NES, SNES, & N64 days.