Author Topic: Anyone still get gaming magazines?  (Read 4810 times)

brunauss

Re: Anyone still get gaming magazines?
« Reply #15 on: April 30, 2013, 09:50:35 pm »
I only get Game Informer. I was going to get back into my sub for Nintendo Power... but we all know how that turned out.

Honestly, the only game mag I really liked was Nintendo Power, and only old Nintendo Power. Back when they had maps of NES games in it and it was awesome.

That last year or two they were around, the quality really did jump up a lot. But for years before that, yeah, it just wasn't the same as the NES, SNES, & N64 days.

Agreed
SWFL Werewolf Gamer

turf

PRO Supporter

« Reply #16 on: April 30, 2013, 10:55:50 pm »
I'm about to get a subscription to Nintendo Force.  I missed the first 2 issues, but I'll catch up.

theprestige2000

« Reply #17 on: April 30, 2013, 10:57:04 pm »
I've always enjoyed Game Informer.  I don't know where people get the idea it's all about buying things from GameStop.  It doesn't encourage that at all.  I'm pretty sure their review scores are skewed but I think that about anyone who receives revenue from ads.  I don't pay attention to reviews anyway.  The best place to find reviews is amateurs on YouTube. 

Yeah - if nothing else- GI does get some decent interviews, "best of"/"Top #___" lists & subjects, and articles on retro/"history of gaming" sort of things...

What he said.  Read it for the articles (like Playboy).

« Reply #18 on: May 01, 2013, 12:17:06 am »
I used to subscribe to Edge and buy the odd GamesTM/Retro Gamer, but they don't appeal to me any more. These days I buy digital copies of Famitsu/Arcadia from Bookwalker.jp every now and then and I'm satisfied with that, I don't feel I'm missing out on anything.

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

« Reply #19 on: May 01, 2013, 08:12:12 am »
I've always enjoyed Game Informer.  I don't know where people get the idea it's all about buying things from GameStop.  It doesn't encourage that at all.  I'm pretty sure their review scores are skewed but I think that about anyone who receives revenue from ads.  I don't pay attention to reviews anyway.  The best place to find reviews is amateurs on YouTube. 

Yeah - if nothing else- GI does get some decent interviews, "best of"/"Top #___" lists & subjects, and articles on retro/"history of gaming" sort of things...

What he said.  Read it for the articles (like Playboy).

You read Playboy for the articles, too :o
"Attempts must be made, even when there can be no hope.
 The alternative is despair.
 And betimes some wonder is wrought to redeem us"

« Reply #20 on: January 11, 2014, 10:41:17 am »
I have been a longtime off and on subscriber of various game magazines over the years, mostly Gamepro, GameInformer, and Nintendo Power. I sadly threw away all my old magazines years ago before I started collecting games, and finding a TON of free Nintendo Power mags at a game store of all places sort of inspired me to collect old video game magazines as well. I current have almost every issue of Nintendo Power between 1996 and 2001, and almost every GamePro between 1995 and 2003. I really, really want to collect classic GameInformer and Dreamcast Magazine as well.

Sadly the only video game magazines that really did anything for me over the past few years were Nintendo Power and Retro Gamer. I know they still publish Retro Gamer, but all the Barnes and Noble stores in my area stopped carrying it about a year ago. And as someone said, $90 is very steep for a magazine subscription.

desocietas

« Reply #21 on: January 11, 2014, 04:03:18 pm »
I still get Game Informer - I loved game magazines back in the day but the newer ones just are meh these days.  I have GI issues from the last few years - let me know if you're interested in any of them.
Currently playing:
FFXIV (PC), The Witcher (PC), Monster Hunter World: Iceborne (PS4)
twitch.tv/desocietas

MJMaranan

PRO Supporter

« Reply #22 on: January 11, 2014, 06:55:45 pm »
If Retro Gamer wasn't so expensive, I would definitely subscribe.

I have Game Informer due to the PowerUp Rewards Program.  Helps me find some games that could potentially be something I want to have.  I do take note of possible issues a game might have, the reviews don't completely affect my decision as everyone has their own preferences.

Please check out the games I have for sale.

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #23 on: January 11, 2014, 10:44:38 pm »
I have been a longtime off and on subscriber of various game magazines over the years, mostly Gamepro, GameInformer, and Nintendo Power. I sadly threw away all my old magazines years ago before I started collecting games, and finding a TON of free Nintendo Power mags at a game store of all places sort of inspired me to collect old video game magazines as well. I current have almost every issue of Nintendo Power between 1996 and 2001, and almost every GamePro between 1995 and 2003. I really, really want to collect classic GameInformer and Dreamcast Magazine as well.

Sadly the only video game magazines that really did anything for me over the past few years were Nintendo Power and Retro Gamer. I know they still publish Retro Gamer, but all the Barnes and Noble stores in my area stopped carrying it about a year ago. And as someone said, $90 is very steep for a magazine subscription.

Oh that sucks, my B & N still carries Retro Gamer. It's about the only magazine I still buy on a regular basis (and the occasional Heavy Metal Hammer, which is also a British Mag (I'm in the U.S.)). I freaking LOVE that magazine, I started a whole thread on it here:

http://vgcollect.com/forum/index.php/topic,4255.msg47566.html#msg47566

Which may seem familiar to you (ShenmueJehuty on Racketboy, I presume?).

But yeah, it's still pricey off the racks, even ($9.99 a pop).

« Reply #24 on: January 11, 2014, 11:30:26 pm »

Oh that sucks, my B & N still carries Retro Gamer. It's about the only magazine I still buy on a regular basis (and the occasional Heavy Metal Hammer, which is also a British Mag (I'm in the U.S.)). I freaking LOVE that magazine, I started a whole thread on it here:

http://vgcollect.com/forum/index.php/topic,4255.msg47566.html#msg47566

Which may seem familiar to you (ShenmueJehuty on Racketboy, I presume?).

But yeah, it's still pricey off the racks, even ($9.99 a pop).

Lol I am not sure if that is me. I am not a regular user on Racketboy, but I do visit the site often for their articles. Wouldn't surprise me if that is my account, although I did admittedly forget that I created it :p. But yeah, it sucks that I can no longer pick it up every month a read it. On a few occasions I spent like 2-hours just reading through those issues in the store. Definitely the best magazine out there imo, period.

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #25 on: January 12, 2014, 02:12:10 am »
My bad for assuming, then. Similarity in names and avatars even.

« Reply #26 on: January 12, 2014, 11:02:39 am »

If the avatar and the name are the same it was me :p. I probably created an account to comment on an article I found particularly interesting and just forgot that I created the account. I've never seen anyone use that combination of names before (Shenmue+Zone of the Enders mech) so it is 100% mine lol.

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #27 on: January 12, 2014, 01:09:50 pm »

If the avatar and the name are the same it was me :p. I probably created an account to comment on an article I found particularly interesting and just forgot that I created the account. I've never seen anyone use that combination of names before (Shenmue+Zone of the Enders mech) so it is 100% mine lol.

Were you on the GameSpot Legacy Boards? I could just be getting my memory mixed-up since I was using both that board and the Racketboy board at the same time. I was a regular there before they moved the site and ruined it (although I was already contemplating leaving due to a re-occurring troll that wasn't getting handled right and ruining the board).

« Reply #28 on: January 12, 2014, 05:16:10 pm »

Were you on the GameSpot Legacy Boards? I could just be getting my memory mixed-up since I was using both that board and the Racketboy board at the same time. I was a regular there before they moved the site and ruined it (although I was already contemplating leaving due to a re-occurring troll that wasn't getting handled right and ruining the board).

haha yes I was a longtime Gamespot user! What was your account on there? I remember that troll, Another48Hours right? I was fine with Gamespot until they abandoned their legacy community when they revamped the site several months ago. On top of that, I believe they removed the collection feature so my entire collection was lost on that site. All well, this place is better anyways :)

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #29 on: January 12, 2014, 05:26:58 pm »

haha yes I was a longtime Gamespot user! What was your account on there? I remember that troll, Another48Hours right? I was fine with Gamespot until they abandoned their legacy community when they revamped the site several months ago. On top of that, I believe they removed the collection feature so my entire collection was lost on that site. All well, this place is better anyways :)

EmeraldWarrior420

And yeah, that's the troll. This site is definitely better.