Author Topic: New XBox Reveal on May 21  (Read 28280 times)

soera

Re: New XBox Reveal on May 21
« Reply #256 on: June 17, 2013, 05:36:20 pm »
This article seems to report on how the used market will be played out on the XBOX ONE. http://www.oxmonline.com/report-trade-process-xbox-one-revealed. Sounds to complicated to me, not that I have ever sold off any of my games to any used store.

Yet one more thing to watch.

redblaze57

PRO Supporter

« Reply #257 on: June 17, 2013, 06:29:22 pm »

3. Required internet connection. What if you have a crappy connection? What if you live in rural area? What if you live in a country with crappy internet in general? Or, my situation, what if you take the Xbox 360 to your man cave so your wife can use the living room T.V., and the modem is in the living room?

5. Killer Instinct. From what I understand, when you get the game you only get 1 freaking character to play as. If you want more, you have to pay for each individual character.

These are greedy and invasive policies. People have all the reason in the world to hate Microsoft for what they're doing. When you pay for property, you should have the right to use it as you please. We don't need big brother checking up on us to be sure we aren't lending games or heaven forbid play a used game without their precious "activation fee." And why does Microsoft think they're special with the used market. There has always been a used market out there for anything: Books, music, movies, furniture, cars, houses, etc. You don't see anyone else taking such drastic measures against it.

Microsoft is alienating themselves from the rural market, and from entire countries due to the internet policy; and from the lower-income fanbase that buys used.

3)non issue... really... built in wifi

5)wrong wrong wrong... http://www.polygon.com/e3-2013/2013/6/14/4420310/defending-killer-instinct

The XboxOne's policies dont make sense because it still takes Discs... Just pretend for a moment it is a discless system then you'll understand a little better of what they are trying to accomplish.

I am an avid game collector and don't like the idea that physical media is going to the wayside, but at the same time I am a gamer first and foremost so I will go where the games are.

How many of you guys have $500+ cell phones that have a lifespan of less thans 2 years?

3)ok how about solder's being stationed somewhere the xbox one is not supported? shouldn't they be able to enjoy the games also?

5) how about the fact that double helix is making it? Known for making G.I. Joe rise of cobra, Green Lanturn: Rise of the Manhunters, and Battleship.

and how about when the servers shut down? whether it's because it's not supported anymore or someone hacks it like they did Sony a few years ago... your basically left with a brick

also the most I ever paid for a cell phone is $50... because my sister washed the phone I had and I wasn't due for an upgrade anytime soon. I also still use my last cell phone as an alarm clock.

scott

« Reply #258 on: June 17, 2013, 06:49:05 pm »
I'm a gamer first and foremost as well and I'm in the hobby for my own enjoyment. There are a few reasons why I'll never buy a Xbox One.

1. Used Games - I buy a lot of used games. I can't really afford to buy every release as they come out and so I end up looking for a used copy after the fact. Plus, if they are limiting used game sales to "approved retailers" that cuts out a lot of mom & pop stores. I run a mom & pop store and it's hard to compete w/ big boys on a lot of stuff. Now, with Microsoft basically saying "fuck you little shops, we want only these 'approved people' to sell used games" that cuts out an entire product line for these stores to carry, which will make it harder for them to stay open.

2. Always Online/ Mandatory Check-Ins - Over the course of my gaming life, I've been known to take game consoles w/ me on vacations or to other places where I can't connect to the internet. We rarely stayed in hotels and instead stayed in campers and motorhomes. If I have to have an always on/ check-in w/ a console, then I can't take it w/ me. Because if the console won't let you play games when you're not connected to the internet, it's pointless to take it with you anywhere, ever. It's the same problem a lot of service members are saying. If they go on tour, then they can't take their console with them to game on. Cause out in the boonies there is no internet. Hell, 10 miles north of my house you can't get cable. I know people who have taken Xboxes and PS2s to Iraq and it was one of the only things to keep them sane. Now if they go off anywhere, they can't take the One with them to play their hot new system while they are serving.

3. The Fucking Cloud - If they are using the "cloud" to process sections of their games, rather than the hardware. It essentially makes the games worthless in 20 years when all the processing servers shut down. These are not things that can be left running indefinitely due to costs. So when the system has run it's course, wave goodbye to your games, or at least the exclusives you liked. Then go buy a PS4 and repurchase all the multiplatform titles you enjoyed.

4. Non-Upgradeable HDD - Seriously, you have this system that requires you to install everything you play onto the hard drive and then you don't allow it to be upgradeable at all? Really? That's retarded. Especially considering the size of games now a days. If it's ripping an entire blu-ray disc to the HDD, that's a lot of info. Sooner, rather than later, you're going to run out of room. But, no, you can't put in a 3TB drive or something lots larger.

The Kinect is getting rammed down our throats, the discs are basically disc-based key codes and everything else involved with the system is so anti-consumer that it's ridiculous.

Like I said, I love my 360. I wanted to love the One. But unfortunately Microsoft has come up with this, thing, that from where I'm standing looks like it's going to do more harm to the industry than help it. When the 360 launched, Microsoft stole me away from the Sony crowd. But come release time, I'm going back to Sony and my wallet is voting PS4.
Now Playing: Persona 5 Scramble, Animal Crossing: New Horizons, Mario Kart 8

Brush Wizard - Mini Painting Blog | The SHMUP: BYOAC Build | Art Thread

sin2beta

« Reply #259 on: June 17, 2013, 07:33:57 pm »
From a gamer perspective, and not a collector perspective. The only thing I personally would have a problem with is the connecting online once every 24 hours. But even as a gamer, the fact that the system becomes a paperweight once it is obsolete upsets me. It may not if Microsoft had a better track record. But as of now the only game that is essentially unplayable is Phantasy Star Online for the XBox. The other versions (dreamcast, Gamecube, PC) are fine. But XBox's infrastructure killed it. Moreover, the XBLA games from 360 won't go to the XBox One. This is understandable due to the different architectures. But nevertheless, it reinforces the fact that these games will be unplayable in the future.

I'm actually all for having a discless system. I live in a fairly small apartment. I intend to for some time. I don't need another system to collect for. But I would not buy digital content from Nintendo or Microsoft. Their systems are either lacking or not set up to get games back when the next system comes out (Microsoft) or your console breaks (Nintendo). Steam is all fine and dandy if you swap to a new PC. They have a good model. Sony's seems decent albeit slow.

I also would not buy a phone for $500. In fact, the US market isn't set up for those prices anyway. We get massive discounts on hardware for signing a contract. As much as it got panned, if Microsoft did something similar to the phone and the other designed obsolescence businesses and discounted the hardware due to some commitment, I think I would accept it better. But the fact is: the XBox one has a congenital and intentional death note. And it costs $100 more than a very comparable machine that will last indefinitely (as far as we know).
UPDATED 01/22/2016 New Ages of SEGA "Space Slalom" is now on....
SegaNerds.com: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t7J9ZbGNB-c

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #260 on: June 17, 2013, 08:11:36 pm »
this thread saddens me... I personally hope the XboxOne does well!

I already have both nextgen systems pre-ordered with 2 games and an extra controller.

What saddens me is that this thread has to exist.  Is the XBone hate a little excessive?  Maybe. Should they be doing stuff to piss off their customers?  No.  Will I be getting one?  Not with these policies in place.
I don't understand the hate personally... what part of what they say is making people so butthurt? The used games? I'm pretty sure Sony is doing the same thing as MS by leaving DRM up to the publishers. Not to mention no more free online play.

1. An activation fee required to play used games. Absolutely they pisses people off. And no, Sony is not doing it.

2. You have to have permission to lend a game to someone, and it can only be done once, and it can only be done with someone from your friends list.

3. Required internet connection. What if you have a crappy connection? What if you live in rural area? What if you live in a country with crappy internet in general? Or, my situation, what if you take the Xbox 360 to your man cave so your wife can use the living room T.V., and the modem is in the living room?

4. The Kinnect is built in, has a camera that follows you, and can even scan your biorhythms. Talk about big brother.

5. Killer Instinct. From what I understand, when you get the game you only get 1 freaking character to play as. If you want more, you have to pay for each individual character.

These are greedy and invasive policies. People have all the reason in the world to hate Microsoft for what they're doing. When you pay for property, you should have the right to use it as you please. We don't need big brother checking up on us to be sure we aren't lending games or heaven forbid play a used game without their precious "activation fee." And why does Microsoft think they're special with the used market. There has always been a used market out there for anything: Books, music, movies, furniture, cars, houses, etc. You don't see anyone else taking such drastic measures against it.

Microsoft is alienating themselves from the rural market, and from entire countries due to the internet policy; and from the lower-income fanbase that buys used.
1) completely up to the publisher
2)What about this? http://www.gametrailers.com/side-mission/54648/ms-confirms-xbox-one-family-sharing-feature-allows-up-to-any-ten-people
3)non issue... really... built in wifi
4)I'll give you that... I dont care for kinect
5)wrong wrong wrong... http://www.polygon.com/e3-2013/2013/6/14/4420310/defending-killer-instinct

The XboxOne's policies dont make sense because it still takes Discs... Just pretend for a moment it is a discless system then you'll understand a little better of what they are trying to accomplish.

I am an avid game collector and don't like the idea that physical media is going to the wayside, but at the same time I am a gamer first and foremost so I will go where the games are.

How many of you guys have $500+ cell phones that have a lifespan of less thans 2 years?

1. So what if it's up to the publisher? It's still an incredibly crappy policy that limits people on a budget. And why? Nearly everything has a used market, and you don't see other industries taking such drastic measures against it.

Nintendo put it best in a recent interview. I don't remember the exact wording, but basically they said they aren't worried about the used game market because they make quality games that people hold on to and want to play over and over again. If Microsoft was so worried about it, then they need focus on making better quality games rather than trying to put restrictive policies on people for a few more $.

2. I bought the property. It's mine to do with what I want. If I want to lend the game to 11 friends and family members, that's my game to do with what I want. Microsoft has no business telling me what I can or can't do with my property.

3. What do you mean "non issue?" To you personally, maybe. But to all those other people I already pointed out in my original post, what about them?

5. I stand corrected then. That was my understanding of it.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2013, 08:39:01 pm by burningdoom »

redblaze57

PRO Supporter

sin2beta

« Reply #262 on: June 17, 2013, 08:25:27 pm »
1. So what if it's up to the publisher? It's still and incredibly crappy policy that limits people on a budget. And why? Nearly everything has a used market, and you don't see other industries taking such drastic measures against it.

Nintendo put it best in a recent interview. I don't remember the exact wording, but basically they said they aren't worried about the used game market because they make quality games that people hold on to and want to play over and over again. If Microsoft was so worried about it, then they need focus on making better quality games rather than trying to put restrictive policies on people for a few more $.

The up to the publisher is a bit scary as well. This is what I dislike Sony for in the past. Part of me really thinks it will just get worse this generation with Sony's DRM. Sony has had a long history of forcing DRM in the backdoor whether it is in the music business or through HDMI. The put it on the publishers seems to be there newest move.

From: http://www.expertreviews.co.uk/games/1300402/ps4-second-hand-drm-left-up-to-publishers-sony-admits

During follow-up interviews, Sony America chief executive Jack Tretton said that "the DRM decision is going to have to be answered by the third parties, it's not something we're going to control or dictate or mandate or implement." In other words: publishers will be able to use their own DRM implementations to block sale or rental of disc-based games, despite Sony's assurances to the contrary.

He basically says they won't have DRM on sony first-party games. No mention of second party or third party. He does go out of his way to mention "first-party" will not have DRM. But third party has already had DRM for PS2 and PS3. Albeit in small numbers.

Nintendo still seems to have the best policy (for my personal preference)

sin2beta

soera

« Reply #264 on: June 17, 2013, 08:27:11 pm »
Wonder if he actually believes the bullshit that he is spewing.

« Reply #265 on: June 17, 2013, 08:47:35 pm »
1. So what if it's up to the publisher? It's still and incredibly crappy policy that limits people on a budget. And why? Nearly everything has a used market, and you don't see other industries taking such drastic measures against it.

The up to the publisher is a bit scary as well. This is what I dislike Sony for in the past. Part of me really thinks it will just get worse this generation with Sony's DRM. Sony has had a long history of forcing DRM in the backdoor whether it is in the music business or through HDMI. The put it on the publishers seems to be there newest move.

From: http://www.expertreviews.co.uk/games/1300402/ps4-second-hand-drm-left-up-to-publishers-sony-admits

During follow-up interviews, Sony America chief executive Jack Tretton said that "the DRM decision is going to have to be answered by the third parties, it's not something we're going to control or dictate or mandate or implement." In other words: publishers will be able to use their own DRM implementations to block sale or rental of disc-based games, despite Sony's assurances to the contrary.

He basically says they won't have DRM on sony first-party games. No mention of second party or third party. He does go out of his way to mention "first-party" will not have DRM. But third party has already had DRM for PS2 and PS3. Albeit in small numbers.

Nintendo still seems to have the best policy (for my personal preference)

This is exactly what I was talking about! Sony seems to be doing almost the same thing as MS... Its just that Sony words it differently and adds that Sony spin we all love (not!). The only real difference I see at this point between the two consoles is the $100 and the 24hr check in.

Thats not enough for me to bring out the pitchforks and torches.

« Reply #266 on: June 17, 2013, 09:31:47 pm »

sin2beta

« Reply #267 on: June 17, 2013, 10:14:08 pm »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=syQDMEFq3H4

That was a nice video. I like how bland his point was and how far people took it. He basically said, "hey we don't know too much yet. You might consider not preordering anything yet." Some of the comments seemed to think Adam said that the PS4 and XBox are doing the same thing and both suck. Silly people.

I personally have held off on preordering. But mainly because I just don't really like Nintendo games enough to get a WiiU. I don't trust nor like Sony... yet. Microsoft has lost my business. As of now I am looking at both Sony and Nintendo a bit. But honestly it all relies on SEGA. Yakuza... Valkyria Chronicles....

But my nextgen purchase will probably be a few years out. I'm going to let other people be the test audience.

blipcs76

« Reply #268 on: June 18, 2013, 10:54:30 am »

20% of the US population lives in rural areas and much of that has spotty or slow Internet speeds.  My dad and brother are farmers and can only get about a 1MB connection, so my brother simply does not have the option to get an XBox One system.  So they're completely writing off about 1/5th of the country due to their requirements.  Not everyone lives in urban/suburban areas with access to reliable, fast broadband, and they just showed they don't care one bit about gamers who live out in the country.

There's also millions of households that just don't have Internet access in their homes for one reason or another (use Internet at work, get it on their phone, cannot afford it, etc.). 

ffxik

« Reply #269 on: June 19, 2013, 02:29:05 am »
Well from what I am understanding both companies have left the DRM thing up to the publisher.  However because of the vitriol that this has produced the publishers are unsure if they want to proceed.  If one publisher does the lock down especially on a game that had a monstrous budget.  It more than likely isn't going to sell very well.  The though of that alone has given them pause. 

So there is the answer to the problem.  Wait for the publisher to make the first move then sink the boat.  Can't make any money off what doesn't sell.  The only reason EA and Activision got as far as they did is because people went out and still bought their games.

Regardless to what nonsense they want to spew about what is hurting the industry the most.  It's not the used game sales.  It's not the pirates.  It's the budget bloat.  When you spend 5-8 million dollars to make a game that for one reason or another does not sell, or conversely that sells well but not up to what you had projected.  you're pretty much boned.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2013, 02:40:48 am by ffxik »