Author Topic: New XBox Reveal on May 21  (Read 28212 times)

insektmute

Re: New XBox Reveal on May 21
« Reply #285 on: June 19, 2013, 10:43:33 pm »
As others have said, they've already burned their bridges. Between all the pre-slim 360 issues, the ads, the nickel and diming, and all that other shit, they were already on my bad side. So I waited, and watched, hoping they'd see where they went wrong and make an honest effort to do better. Their response was to show that not only did they learn absolutely nothing, but their sole interest was to try and gouge gamers to such an extent that if they were to succeed, they would almost certainly do irreversible damage to the entire industry.

Gamers are fickle as hell, and there are plenty of people who will switch their pre-orders over from a PS4, but I'm not letting them sweep this shit under the carpet just because their plans didn't work out.

sin2beta

« Reply #286 on: June 19, 2013, 10:47:22 pm »
Its only a smart move now ... it shouldnt have been necessary to begin with honestly.

If they'd have paid attention and done this before E3, it would have been a smart move. If it had come out the E3 press conference, Sony's big announcement would have lost a lot of steam.

Agreed.

I like the XBox systems. I was surprised at how much I liked the original XBox. Back in 2001 for an Apple fanboy,n Microsoft was the enemy. But I went to the dark side for Shenmue 2, Panzer Dragoon, Jet Set Radio, etc. I actually played through these games, never touched another XBox game and sold the system. I wanted to play the SEGA games but did not want a Microsoft system.

Fast forward to 2011ish. I really want to play Marvel Vs. Capcom 3. I decide to purchase a used XBox 360 with MvC3, and once tired of the game, sell it again. But I freakin fell in love with the system. Went to the original XBox again and discovered Halo. I found out this game I always thought was a complete Bro game still kept the insanely sic-fi nerd aspect of its Marathon roots. Seriously, that game is like a Battlestar Galactica/Arthur C. Clarke love child.

Anyways, XBox won me over. I was really planning on preordering the XBox One. Then all the rumors came true. There was no way I'm getting the machine. Even with everything "reversed" (for now). I'm going to have to wait it out a few years. I want to see exactly how the system is. Microsoft has done two things: 1) made a lot of fans for Sony and Nintendo 2) made a lot of diehard fans want to wait it out. This could be a real rocky start for the system because of these two things.

Definitely should have been done before E3. I want an XBox One that can play disc games offline. I want Forza, Halo, Dead Rising 3, etc. But I'm willing to wait now.
UPDATED 01/22/2016 New Ages of SEGA "Space Slalom" is now on....
SegaNerds.com: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t7J9ZbGNB-c

htimreimer

« Reply #287 on: June 19, 2013, 11:12:57 pm »
now that the DRM is gone, is the xbox worth $499?

for me its not, microsoft are sill gonna have ads all over the place and all of its selling features (aka non gaming stuff) are available on
smart tv's, smart phone's and pc's, the hardware is mid range pc as of now and low range pc by next year and most of the exclusive games will be the same old bro games. there's nothing that makes me want to buy it

« Reply #288 on: June 19, 2013, 11:15:11 pm »
Its only a smart move now ... it shouldnt have been necessary to begin with honestly.

If they'd have paid attention and done this before E3, it would have been a smart move. If it had come out the E3 press conference, Sony's big announcement would have lost a lot of steam.

Agreed.

I like the XBox systems. I was surprised at how much I liked the original XBox. Back in 2001 for an Apple fanboy,n Microsoft was the enemy. But I went to the dark side for Shenmue 2, Panzer Dragoon, Jet Set Radio, etc. I actually played through these games, never touched another XBox game and sold the system. I wanted to play the SEGA games but did not want a Microsoft system.

Fast forward to 2011ish. I really want to play Marvel Vs. Capcom 3. I decide to purchase a used XBox 360 with MvC3, and once tired of the game, sell it again. But I freakin fell in love with the system. Went to the original XBox again and discovered Halo. I found out this game I always thought was a complete Bro game still kept the insanely sic-fi nerd aspect of its Marathon roots. Seriously, that game is like a Battlestar Galactica/Arthur C. Clarke love child.

Anyways, XBox won me over. I was really planning on preordering the XBox One. Then all the rumors came true. There was no way I'm getting the machine. Even with everything "reversed" (for now). I'm going to have to wait it out a few years. I want to see exactly how the system is. Microsoft has done two things: 1) made a lot of fans for Sony and Nintendo 2) made a lot of diehard fans want to wait it out. This could be a real rocky start for the system because of these two things.

Definitely should have been done before E3. I want an XBox One that can play disc games offline. I want Forza, Halo, Dead Rising 3, etc. But I'm willing to wait now.
i couldn't agree more. the xbox 360 is my second fave system after the ps2.
and the 360 controller is BY FAR the best controller ive ever used. i even got a wired one for my PC.
one issue i did have with the 360 is all the advertisements on the home screen, Why was the first AD bigger than the game button?

« Reply #289 on: June 19, 2013, 11:15:33 pm »
now that the DRM is gone, is the xbox worth $499?

for me its not, microsoft are sill gonna have ads all over the place and all of its selling features (aka non gaming stuff) are available on
smart tv's, smart phone's and pc's, the hardware is mid range pc as of now and low range pc by next year and most of the exclusive games will be the same old bro games. there's nothing that makes me want to buy it
and thats why i just got a gaming laptop

blipcs76

« Reply #290 on: June 20, 2013, 01:03:18 am »
Too little, too late.  You've played your hand MS and it's obvious where you intend to take gaming in the future.  I will not support what you plan to do to this industry.

I fully think MS was just testing the waters to see what they could get away with:

- If we revolted, they would announce these policies were overturned because they're listening to their customers, and act like they made the change out of respect for us.
- If we didn't, they'd forge ahead with their anti-consumer, online required, DRM-laden BS.

We threw a fit and they quickly scrambled to overturn these policies.  Six months from now, most gamers will have forgotten this debacle.  But I won't.  You've lost my trust and the allegience of the thousands of XBox owners who've already laid down the cash to preorder a PS4.  Sony will have the install base advantage, the raw power advantage and the price advantage on day 1.

thomascozine

« Reply #291 on: June 20, 2013, 01:59:34 am »
The Kinect, with it's always on, still freaks me out. The fact you can't turn it completely off, or unplug it for that matter, is just stupid.

And don't get me started on this bullshit: http://www.extremetech.com/gaming/139706-microsofts-new-kinect-patent-goes-big-brother-will-spy-on-you-for-the-mpaa

I'm definitely gonna wait a long while before I really consider getting an XBone.

sin2beta

« Reply #292 on: June 20, 2013, 07:35:01 pm »
The Kinect, with it's always on, still freaks me out. The fact you can't turn it completely off, or unplug it for that matter, is just stupid.

And don't get me started on this bullshit: http://www.extremetech.com/gaming/139706-microsofts-new-kinect-patent-goes-big-brother-will-spy-on-you-for-the-mpaa

I'm definitely gonna wait a long while before I really consider getting an XBone.

Patents are really "patent everything you can for the company that way we cover ourselves for as much as possible in the future". I worked in labs for years, we were always told to patent any idea we had, and even had to sign paperwork stating that if anything in terms of inventing or developing was done in the area of the company's work, we needed to go through the company and work on a patent. We were expected to do this. Then I taught. Now I'm back in a lab environment. And last Monday when filling out the HR paperwork, guess what, I had to sign the patent expectation paperwork. Patents filed by a company mean nothing.

I'm also not too worried about the kinect spying on me. I understand the fears. But honestly, if Microsoft wants to watch me watching old reruns of the Fresh Prince, well... I guess they can go for it. And if you are concerned, put a post it on the camera and put sound dampening foam on the microphone. It will be on, but will just assume no one is there. Or option 2, let microsoft watch and listen to you as you watch Carlton dance to Tom Jones.

thomascozine

« Reply #293 on: June 20, 2013, 07:42:49 pm »

Patents are really "patent everything you can for the company that way we cover ourselves for as much as possible in the future". I worked in labs for years, we were always told to patent any idea we had, and even had to sign paperwork stating that if anything in terms of inventing or developing was done in the area of the company's work, we needed to go through the company and work on a patent. We were expected to do this. Then I taught. Now I'm back in a lab environment. And last Monday when filling out the HR paperwork, guess what, I had to sign the patent expectation paperwork. Patents filed by a company mean nothing.

I'm also not too worried about the kinect spying on me. I understand the fears. But honestly, if Microsoft wants to watch me watching old reruns of the Fresh Prince, well... I guess they can go for it. And if you are concerned, put a post it on the camera and put sound dampening foam on the microphone. It will be on, but will just assume no one is there. Or option 2, let microsoft watch and listen to you as you watch Carlton dance to Tom Jones.
Haha. In this case I think I'll end up going with option 3. Not buying an XBox One. ;D Only time will tell.

I get what you're saying. A patent may just be a patent. But it's up to the consumer to make their voices heard to ensure that it stays just a patent. And I for one will not stay quiet about it. 1984 was not an instruction manual.  >:(

scott

« Reply #294 on: June 20, 2013, 08:05:13 pm »
I was reading the comments on TrueAchievements' latest news post and I found it kinda funny.

A bunch of people are complaining that Microsoft caved and "set us back 6 years" thanks to the complainers and bed wetters. And they are all under the impression that the Family Sharing plan would have let them buy a game and share it among 10 friends allowing them all access to the game at the same time.
Now Playing: Persona 5 Scramble, Animal Crossing: New Horizons, Mario Kart 8

Brush Wizard - Mini Painting Blog | The SHMUP: BYOAC Build | Art Thread

blipcs76

« Reply #295 on: June 21, 2013, 10:53:00 am »
I was reading the comments on TrueAchievements' latest news post and I found it kinda funny.

A bunch of people are complaining that Microsoft caved and "set us back 6 years" thanks to the complainers and bed wetters. And they are all under the impression that the Family Sharing plan would have let them buy a game and share it among 10 friends allowing them all access to the game at the same time.

Those are the type of gamers who play stuff like COD/Halo/Madden and consider games to be disposable entertainment, to be forgotten when the next thing comes along or "Steam gamers", who want instant delivery of games and don't want to leave their house to get them. 

I honestly don't understand either groups.  Morons who only play stuff like the annual Call of Duty release complain that Nintendo only has Mario games, when there as many COD games released on the 360 alone than every primary series Mario release dating back to the NES.

Core Mario releases:
SMB1
SMB2
SMB3
SMB World
Mario 64
Mario Sunshine
Mario Galaxy
Mario Galaxy 2

Core COD releases on the 360:
COD2
COD3
COD Modern Warfare
COD Modern Warfare 2
COD Modern Warfare 3
COD Black Ops
COD Black Ops 2
COD World At War

And the previous gen is was Tom Clancy games: Splinter Cell, Rainbow Six, Ghost Recon saw a ton of releases on the XBox:
Tom Clancy's Classic Trilogy
Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon
Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon 2
Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon 2: Summit Strike
Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon: Advanced Warfighter
Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon: Island Thunder
Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six 3
Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six 3: Black Arrow
Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six: Critical Hour
Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six: Lockdown
Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell
Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory
Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell: Double Agent
Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell: Pandora Tomorrow

foxhack

« Reply #296 on: June 21, 2013, 12:44:05 pm »
Whoa whoa hold it right there, you can't lump in the Splinter Cell games in with the other generic Tom Clancy shooters. That's a separate series and it was stealth, not strategy / FPS / whatever. And it's been around since the Xbox days. :P

sin2beta

« Reply #297 on: June 21, 2013, 10:21:52 pm »
I thought I would add Adam Koralik's new XBox One video since a few people seemed to like the first one. First I like his shirt choices. XBox One rant = red ring shirt. Microsoft remove DRM = Happy Console Gamer shirt. Nice!

blipcs76

« Reply #298 on: June 24, 2013, 09:58:11 am »
Whoa whoa hold it right there, you can't lump in the Splinter Cell games in with the other generic Tom Clancy shooters. That's a separate series and it was stealth, not strategy / FPS / whatever. And it's been around since the Xbox days. :P

That's a fair objection, but at the same time Nintendo haters lump Mario platformers, Mario Kart, Mario Tennis, Mario Golf and Mario party together even though they're all distinctly different types of games.

jobocan

« Reply #299 on: June 24, 2013, 10:43:19 am »

Well Conviction was basically just a shooter, I'd lump that one in with the rest of the Tom Clancy games. The rest of Splinter Cell not so much, of course.