Author Topic: New XBox Reveal on May 21  (Read 28338 times)

sin2beta

Re: New XBox Reveal on May 21
« Reply #135 on: May 24, 2013, 12:21:30 pm »
To preface, I'm actually not planning on purchasing the system. As of now, I'm not planning on going next gen. However, I think a lot of people are mistaking the purpose of the XBox TV capabilities. I do not think it is designed to actually replace the hardware you have. From what I've seen on forums that seems to stem from people hating the name. "XBox One. It's not XBox one. Why can't it play all my old XBox games, replace my cable, and have speakers and a screen built in." It merely provides an interface that communicates with a number of devices. You can leave your XBox One on to play games, surf the web, watch TV. etc. Their goal is not that XBox replaces all the old equipment. Cable boxes already have a hard drive from Tivo. Why replace what is already there? In all honesty, that sounds like a bad business plan. Microsoft would have to keep releasing new hardware based on other companies business decisions. Microsoft only wants you to dominate the interface you use. They don't make money on replacing hardware. They make money on replacing the software you use with said hardware. This has always been Microsofts model. It is the defining difference between them and Apple for decades.
UPDATED 01/22/2016 New Ages of SEGA "Space Slalom" is now on....
SegaNerds.com: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t7J9ZbGNB-c

brunauss

« Reply #136 on: May 24, 2013, 01:31:35 pm »
To preface, I'm actually not planning on purchasing the system. As of now, I'm not planning on going next gen. However, I think a lot of people are mistaking the purpose of the XBox TV capabilities. I do not think it is designed to actually replace the hardware you have. From what I've seen on forums that seems to stem from people hating the name. "XBox One. It's not XBox one. Why can't it play all my old XBox games, replace my cable, and have speakers and a screen built in." It merely provides an interface that communicates with a number of devices. You can leave your XBox One on to play games, surf the web, watch TV. etc. Their goal is not that XBox replaces all the old equipment. Cable boxes already have a hard drive from Tivo. Why replace what is already there? In all honesty, that sounds like a bad business plan. Microsoft would have to keep releasing new hardware based on other companies business decisions. Microsoft only wants you to dominate the interface you use. They don't make money on replacing hardware. They make money on replacing the software you use with said hardware. This has always been Microsofts model. It is the defining difference between them and Apple for decades.

The Xbox and Microsoft haters exist, because the conditions are perfect for it. The PC platform is a mess to this day. Too much hardware is developed for the platform and Microsoft simply can't keep up and insure Windows total compatibility with all of it. On top of this, Microsoft simply doesn't work with IBM at the level they should, to bring stability back to the platform. I can only assume part of the Microsoft hate transplanted to the Xbox, when the second generation box came out and immediately had crippling problems much like any Windows PC would. That is all it took. Then Microsoft went about handling the whole situation just like they did with Windows problems. They patched and began planning a replacement, hoping it would make the problems simply go away. I even sent in a simple low-cost-solution-design-idea to correct their Red Ring problem. A new chassis with better ventilation. In a very nice way, with clever use of words, they said they already had a more viable solution under development and considered the existing design internally flawed. We all saw what that solution was. A redesigned console version that cost them another 500 million to develop and sent them that much further in dept. Last I checked, I redesigned chassis didn't cost that much to develop *LOL*
« Last Edit: May 24, 2013, 01:33:09 pm by brunauss »
SWFL Werewolf Gamer

sin2beta

« Reply #137 on: May 24, 2013, 01:59:26 pm »

The Xbox and Microsoft haters exist, because the conditions are perfect for it. The PC platform is a mess to this day. Too much hardware is developed for the platform and Microsoft simply can't keep up and insure Windows total compatibility with all of it. On top of this, Microsoft simply doesn't work with IBM at the level they should, to bring stability back to the platform. I can only assume part of the Microsoft hate transplanted to the Xbox, when the second generation box came out and immediately had crippling problems much like any Windows PC would. That is all it took. Then Microsoft went about handling the whole situation just like they did with Windows problems. They patched and began planning a replacement, hoping it would make the problems simply go away. I even sent in a simple low-cost-solution-design-idea to correct their Red Ring problem. A new chassis with better ventilation. In a very nice way, with clever use of words, they said they already had a more viable solution under development and considered the existing design internally flawed. We all saw what that solution was. A redesigned console version that cost them another 500 million to develop and sent them that much further in dept. Last I checked, I redesigned chassis didn't cost that much to develop *LOL*

I'm all for Microsoft hate. I think the current plan on used games is reason enough. Granted details aren't known. But it is enough for me to decide not to buy the system.

I also dislike Microsoft from being an Apple or linux fanboy for a few decades. There is plenty to dislike. But I just don't understand the "XBox One isn't replacing everything in my entertainment center". On one part, because this is exactly what a lot of people don't want. They want a game machine only. On a second part, creating a universal black box to take over every other companies various black boxes  is ridiculous. Especially taking into account the future revisions any cable companies do.

The XBox One can become a black box that accepts output signals. In short, it can take all the signals a TV would take and be pretty well future proof. It also can act as a central hub (not a replacement) for all of these devices. This makes sense. And if a games machine can play games AND do this, that is pretty sweet.

I like Microsoft's approach for an entertainment hub. It seems to be the next natural progression. And this by itself, does not affect games. Microsoft's other policies affect games.

« Reply #138 on: May 24, 2013, 03:08:34 pm »
I just saw the photo of the thing.

THIS IS A FREAKIN' BETAMAX PLAYER.

I prefer the metal HTPC look to the current plastic toy-looking abominations under my TV.

scott

« Reply #139 on: May 24, 2013, 03:59:16 pm »
Good news guys!

They aren't making the distinction between retail, xbla and indie games on the One! So we don't have to worry about what goes where and get to have a jumbled mess of games in a single listing! Sweet.
Now Playing: Persona 5 Scramble, Animal Crossing: New Horizons, Mario Kart 8

Brush Wizard - Mini Painting Blog | The SHMUP: BYOAC Build | Art Thread

ffxik

« Reply #140 on: May 24, 2013, 04:39:40 pm »
Good news guys!

They aren't making the distinction between retail, xbla and indie games on the One! So we don't have to worry about what goes where and get to have a jumbled mess of games in a single listing! Sweet.

That's freaking awesome.    ::)

insektmute

« Reply #141 on: May 24, 2013, 05:13:18 pm »
It merely provides an interface that communicates with a number of devices. You can leave your XBox One on to play games, surf the web, watch TV. etc. Their goal is not that XBox replaces all the old equipment. Cable boxes already have a hard drive from Tivo. Why replace what is already there? In all honesty, that sounds like a bad business plan. Microsoft would have to keep releasing new hardware based on other companies business decisions. Microsoft only wants you to dominate the interface you use. They don't make money on replacing hardware. They make money on replacing the software you use with said hardware. This has always been Microsofts model. It is the defining difference between them and Apple for decades.

I don't think anyone's confused as to its purpose. We get that it's intended as a hub interface for all sorts of difference devices, but the fact that it doesn't replace any of them makes it utterly redundant in living rooms that are already filled with electronics. It's one more step to take before accessing something, one more box cluttering things up, and while people aren't necessarily opposed to that, it's a value proposition. Does this do encourage or inhibit my ability to relax and have fun?

foxhack

« Reply #142 on: May 24, 2013, 05:17:03 pm »
Good news guys!

Well, there's not going to be any indie games on the console anyway!

scott

« Reply #143 on: May 24, 2013, 05:21:05 pm »
Oh good, that's one less thing we need to worry about! Yay!
Now Playing: Persona 5 Scramble, Animal Crossing: New Horizons, Mario Kart 8

Brush Wizard - Mini Painting Blog | The SHMUP: BYOAC Build | Art Thread

atariboy

« Reply #144 on: May 24, 2013, 07:13:07 pm »
This article seems to report on how the used market will be played out on the XBOX ONE. http://www.oxmonline.com/report-trade-process-xbox-one-revealed. Sounds to complicated to me, not that I have ever sold off any of my games to any used store. 
Now Playing: Lollipop Chainsaw

sin2beta

« Reply #145 on: May 24, 2013, 07:57:40 pm »
It merely provides an interface that communicates with a number of devices. You can leave your XBox One on to play games, surf the web, watch TV. etc. Their goal is not that XBox replaces all the old equipment. Cable boxes already have a hard drive from Tivo. Why replace what is already there? In all honesty, that sounds like a bad business plan. Microsoft would have to keep releasing new hardware based on other companies business decisions. Microsoft only wants you to dominate the interface you use. They don't make money on replacing hardware. They make money on replacing the software you use with said hardware. This has always been Microsofts model. It is the defining difference between them and Apple for decades.

I don't think anyone's confused as to its purpose. We get that it's intended as a hub interface for all sorts of difference devices, but the fact that it doesn't replace any of them makes it utterly redundant in living rooms that are already filled with electronics. It's one more step to take before accessing something, one more box cluttering things up, and while people aren't necessarily opposed to that, it's a value proposition. Does this do encourage or inhibit my ability to relax and have fun?

I guess I'm mistaken on what people are saying. If it is the "it's another box" argument, it just seems odd that it didn't come up on PS4 or WiiU. Why doesn't the PS4 or the WiiU replace the cable box? Because they are not made by Time Warner/Cox/Comcast/etc. Same with XBox.

Honestly, I think there is so much unknown right now that rumors are flying, fanboys and hateboys are abound. I'm planning on waiting until E3 before really starting the complaining. But then, I'll probably be right with everyone on the high Microsoft hate.

foxhack

« Reply #146 on: May 24, 2013, 08:46:51 pm »
This article seems to report on how the used market will be played out on the XBOX ONE. http://www.oxmonline.com/report-trade-process-xbox-one-revealed. Sounds to complicated to me, not that I have ever sold off any of my games to any used store.
WOW, they really want to kill used game sales.

Disgusting.

atariboy

« Reply #147 on: May 24, 2013, 08:54:24 pm »
WOW, they really want to kill used game sales.

Disgusting.

Yup! looks like Microsoft is getting into the used game store business, and you guys think Micro$oft is evil! pfft!
Now Playing: Lollipop Chainsaw

insektmute

« Reply #148 on: May 24, 2013, 09:08:56 pm »
I guess I'm mistaken on what people are saying. If it is the "it's another box" argument, it just seems odd that it didn't come up on PS4 or WiiU. Why doesn't the PS4 or the WiiU replace the cable box? Because they are not made by Time Warner/Cox/Comcast/etc. Same with XBox.

Honestly, I think there is so much unknown right now that rumors are flying, fanboys and hateboys are abound. I'm planning on waiting until E3 before really starting the complaining. But then, I'll probably be right with everyone on the high Microsoft hate.

I think it's more a question of intent. Sony's been pushing an 'entertainment console' concept for awhile, but for the most part, those efforts have been mutually beneficial for gaming and multimedia purposes. With the PS4, they were quick to highlight it as a powerful system for developers and gamers alike. Sure, it plays Blu-ray movies, and you can watch stuff on Netflix and YouTube, but that's not the driving force behind the console's existence.

Similarly, Nintendo has consistently emphasized that the Wii U is about finding ways for developers to create new experiences with the gamepad. While I have a rather low opinion of the system, and find a lot of their efforts are misdirected, it's still clear that they're interested in gaming, first and foremost.

As a lot of people have already touched on, it was the exact opposite with Microsoft. They focused on voice commands, sensors, gestures, watching TV, watching movies, listening to music, and gaming was just a tiny fragment of what they're aiming for, which is the exact opposite of what should happen when presenting a game console. In their own way, Microsoft's basically trying to pull a Wii, by trying to step away from their existing userbase and appeal to people who would have otherwise never bought a game console. They want to sell this thing to Mom, Dad, and Grandma, so they can break free of all those pesky, complicated devices, and drink deeply from the Microsoft cup of designer living - who needs a bunch of fickle, often angry gamers when you've got an untapped market of millions?

I don't think it's as simple as whining fanboys. People are seeing the Xbox One as a threat to video games, and for a variety of reasons, but distaste for this thing is one of the biggest rallying points I've seen among gamers in quite awhile.

foxhack