Author Topic: Truly Massive Video Game Collection  (Read 6560 times)

Re: Truly Massive Video Game Collection
« Reply #30 on: May 03, 2013, 05:12:23 am »
^^that^^ line certainly erked me because it came off as a bit pompous. Is that really the reason yours doesn't look like his? If I had the available space (nice finished basement) and resources, mine would certainly be on par with his.

Well, yes. He buys what he want, I buy what I want. I want to buy Sega games, arcade boards and Chinese RPGs so even if my collection doubled in size (which would be over 2000 games!) my collection still wouldn't look like his.

But hey, maybe you're right, he's got too much filler and fluff and collecting 6 copies of one game is the way to go. Whatever floats YOUR boat, right?

Umm, that's it exactly - whatever floats my boat. Just like nobody gives a flying monkey's when I buy another doujin shmup or yet another Xian Jian RPG, I reserve the right to be unimpressed by walls of cart only NES games.

So specifically, what is it that he does or doesn't do within his collection that makes you prefer yours over his, I'm just curious?

Because I have my own personal taste in games and I like what I like, whilst he likes what he likes - it's not a strange concept.

theflea

« Reply #31 on: May 03, 2013, 05:27:25 am »
I dunno.. Flea has over 7000. Which is super impressive.

For sure.
My ears are burning..  :P

I've seen these videos and he's got a massive collection, he has a lot of stuff I wish i had. I love the display cabinets he has. And I have much that he doesn't have. He also collects a lot of the video swag that I don't. I love some of the retro stuff, I just don't have space or money to buy every video game toy they release. My gaming room is mainly for the games, systems and accessories. I do have a lot of promo toys from the days I reviewed games. Strangest pieces I have is a bottle of wine with a playstation anniversary logo etched into the glass. Then I got a survival kit with a condom in it. lol

"Happy game hunting!!!"

foxhack

« Reply #32 on: May 03, 2013, 08:19:59 am »
Obsessive-compulsive disorder link, although people increasingly misuse it when all they actually mean is "I like to keep my games neat and tidy" or that they really like something (ex: "I'm totally OCD about getting every Final Fantasy port!".
I was being dumb when I said that. If anyone has it, please don't be offended. >_<

« Reply #33 on: May 03, 2013, 11:27:40 am »
Sorry Foxhack I didn't mean to make you feel bad, it's just a pet peeve of mine when people say things like that.

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

« Reply #34 on: May 03, 2013, 12:38:25 pm »
Sorry to rant but it seems like so many people think their way of collecting is "right because its the way I do it." Maybe step off your thrones now and again and examine different perspectives of what people enjoy about the hobby....

:o

I think that you've blown this *WAY* out of proportion & context here, man.

Also (to me, at least) "giving someone flak" is -actually- you know...giving that person flak.

AFAIK - not one person (from vgcollect) has had anything derogatory, good, and/or bad to say to the person in question.

What we're doing here is/was discussing our own ideas, thoughts, and opinions - just because the majority of us here seem to view, see, and experience collecting differently than he does /=/ "giving him flak"; because...again...to give him any flak - we would actually need to be in communication with him.

Also, you said "it seems like so many people think their way of collecting is "right because it's the way I do it"

Well, this I agree with :)

MY way of collecting *IS* "right" because of the way that I do it...

...*FOR ME*

That's why I (and maybe Kimimi) prefer our collections over his, because they're focused on & consist of - what we WANT them to consist of.

Now, this doesn't by any means invalidate and/or make anyone else's collections/ways of collecting "wrong"...just "not for me"/"not my preference".

If he's happy w/ what he collects & how he collects it = he's doing it right!

Lastly, I've yet to get the impression from anyone here that they put themselves on any kind of a "throne"; maybe you're just reading too much into things and/or taking things personally...that AREN'T personal.
"Attempts must be made, even when there can be no hope.
 The alternative is despair.
 And betimes some wonder is wrought to redeem us"

« Reply #35 on: May 03, 2013, 12:45:46 pm »
That's why I (and maybe Kimimi) prefer our collections over his, because they're focused on & consist of - what we WANT them to consist of.

Hit the nail right on the head. My collection is microscopic compared to many people, but I'd still take it over someone with every NES and SNES game ever made or whatever. Every game I own or want to own is something I've played or think will be worth playing, but alongside that, I treat my collection like I'm curating an exhibit. I want it to represent what I consider to be the best of the best, whether that means I have a few hundred games, or a few thousand.

Personally, the only system I'd probably consider collecting every game for is the Neo-Geo, and even then, there are plenty of duds I'd rather not spend money on or give up space for. Quality over quantity, yo.

brunauss

« Reply #36 on: May 03, 2013, 04:08:52 pm »

Hit the nail right on the head. My collection is microscopic compared to many people, but I'd still take it over someone with every NES and SNES game ever made or whatever. Every game I own or want to own is something I've played or think will be worth playing, but alongside that, I treat my collection like I'm curating an exhibit. I want it to represent what I consider to be the best of the best, whether that means I have a few hundred games, or a few thousand.

Personally, the only system I'd probably consider collecting every game for is the Neo-Geo, and even then, there are plenty of duds I'd rather not spend money on or give up space for. Quality over quantity, yo.

This
SWFL Werewolf Gamer

sin2beta

« Reply #37 on: May 03, 2013, 04:59:22 pm »

Dude... a complete neo geo collection would be sweet.
UPDATED 01/22/2016 New Ages of SEGA "Space Slalom" is now on....
SegaNerds.com: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t7J9ZbGNB-c

scott

« Reply #38 on: May 03, 2013, 05:26:15 pm »
I think it's neat looking at other folk's collections though and seeing what they do with them. Sure this guy's collection is massive, and if he likes it, cool. Especially if he's a younger guy, it's nice to think that the younger generation of gamers can appreciate the older stuff.

The best part of game collecting is that each one of us has a different take on it. Some like amassing piles of games, some focus on genres or consoles or generations. It's like a fingerprint, no two collections are exactly the same. Though they may have the same staples, each one is unique to that person.

I think it's impressive that this guy has all that stuff. Especially if he got it via lots and bundles for cheap. Hell, if I had the amount of expendable income I had 4 years ago, I would have a ton more games that I currently do. But, now with more responsibility in life, I've found myself needing to refocus and redefine what my collection means to me and what is most important money wise.
Now Playing: Persona 5 Scramble, Animal Crossing: New Horizons, Mario Kart 8

Brush Wizard - Mini Painting Blog | The SHMUP: BYOAC Build | Art Thread

« Reply #39 on: May 03, 2013, 08:19:35 pm »
I always enjoy disgaeniac's posts beacause of the exciting and colorful use of text modifiers.  Just wanted to throw that out there.

The WALL of games makes me happy down deep.  It's almost like the cartoony "kid in a candy store" metaphor, with this MASSIVE wall of VGs, and they are all MINE TO PLAY!

I'm reminded of going to the rental store, and walking through the aisles of games, looking at boxes. 

I collect mostly stuff I'll play, because I can only afford to collect stuff that I'll play.  Make no mistake, if I had rooms of walls of games, I'd be one happy camper.

turf

PRO Supporter

« Reply #40 on: May 03, 2013, 08:33:16 pm »
Just like everyone has said, collecting is different to everyone. Hell, the collection I want is different from system to system.  I would love to have a complete NES collection.  Give me every game, accessory, and book.  I want it all.  Anything else, I don't really care. I just buy stuff I want to play. Admittedly, I will buy stuff I might play if the price is right.   
*Disclaimer: I will buy something just because it is collectible if it's a deal.

I like this dude's collection. Would I want all that stuff? Not really.  Am I impressed? Kinda. 

You want to know the type of collector that bothers me?  The guy that drops tons of coin on eBay pisses me off. It's like cheating. I'm not saying, "Don't use eBay". I have and I will keep buying stuff I really want, but can't find. Finding a deal is a huge part of the fun for me. I guess collecting is different for everyone. But seriously, EFF the guy that buys a huge collection at full market value.  8)

« Reply #41 on: May 04, 2013, 01:10:00 am »
You want to know the type of collector that bothers me?  The guy that drops tons of coin on eBay pisses me off. It's like cheating. I'm not saying, "Don't use eBay". I have and I will keep buying stuff I really want, but can't find. Finding a deal is a huge part of the fun for me. I guess collecting is different for everyone. But seriously, EFF the guy that buys a huge collection at full market value.  8)

Funnily enough, that's pretty much me! I will say though that for the gaming stuff I buy if I waited for a local deal I'd be waiting forever - I've genuinely never seen an arcade game or Chinese PC game for sale (even a bootleg), and I haven't seen an import Saturn/DC/SNES game in a shop for about five years now.

I don't mind paying market value either! My little thought process goes: Do I want it? -> Can I afford it? -> Is this definitely the best value I can reasonably find? - > BUY  8)

The point to all this being that we all do things differently and have different priorities and interests *and* that's a good thing.

turf

PRO Supporter

« Reply #42 on: May 04, 2013, 02:40:53 am »
Kimmi - I'll give someone like you a pass. You're not buying stuff released where you live. I imagine there aren't a whole lot of Chinese RPGs floating around the UK. You have no choice but to order stuff online.

brunauss

« Reply #43 on: May 04, 2013, 02:55:05 am »
Kimmi - I'll give someone like you a pass. You're not buying stuff released where you live. I imagine there aren't a whole lot of Chinese RPGs floating around the UK. You have no choice but to order stuff online.

Especially if you want the complete Monster Hunter experience. Would believe there is a episodic Monster Hunter title that is exclusive to both Xbox360 AND Japan on disc? *L*
SWFL Werewolf Gamer

scott

« Reply #44 on: May 04, 2013, 08:42:19 am »
Hmm. I bought a good deal of my CIB Castlevania games from NES- GBA via ebay. Seemed to me that was the only and best way to go about it. The chances of finding any of those in town or around my area seemed pretty well not likely. I also do a lot of game buying on Amazon too. Because I can't usually find what I'm looking for around here.

A nice example would be Revelations: The Demon Slayer, which I just bought. Looked for it for a while at all my used shops around here and nothing. Then I checked eBay and Amazon for prices and decided to wait. Then, I checked Amazon randomly one day and found it for like $5-6 less than what other folks were asking.

Like Kimimi said

Do I want it? -> Can I afford it? -> Is this definitely the best value I can reasonably find? - > BUY
Now Playing: Persona 5 Scramble, Animal Crossing: New Horizons, Mario Kart 8

Brush Wizard - Mini Painting Blog | The SHMUP: BYOAC Build | Art Thread