Author Topic: Anime Recommendation?  (Read 15444 times)

amauriel

Re: Anime Recommendation?
« Reply #15 on: September 20, 2011, 02:21:17 pm »
It's funny that everyone goes right to FMA...that's the one that was popular when I was in Japan so it's been my favorite for years.

I've watched very little current anime even though I have been watching through Brotherhood now that Netflix has the first 39 episodes.

I'm surprised no one has mentioned Code Geass; I used to love that one. Also Hellsing, of course (even though it's only 13 episodes).
"You can buy everything, except love, friendship, and exp. points."

desocietas

« Reply #16 on: September 20, 2011, 04:05:47 pm »
It's just a feature-length film, but I though Tekkon Kinkreet was a beautiful anime.  I'm also a big fan of the other Satoshi Kon movies besides Paranoia Agent (Paprika, Millennium Actress, Perfect Blue, etc.)... RIP.
Currently playing:
FFXIV (PC), The Witcher (PC), Monster Hunter World: Iceborne (PS4)
twitch.tv/desocietas

« Reply #17 on: September 20, 2011, 07:27:41 pm »
good topic! i'll be stealing everyone's recommendations. (i'm in a similar position as @darko.) thanks!

foxhack

« Reply #18 on: September 21, 2011, 08:32:34 pm »
Mobile Police Patlabor.

It's cops. With bigass robots. But that's not the main part of the show, that's the interpersonal relationships between the officers, their families, and their daily lives.

The movies, on the other hand, have a wildly different tone... more action oriented, much more mature than the TV show.

scott

« Reply #19 on: September 22, 2011, 12:19:34 am »
good topic! i'll be stealing everyone's recommendations. (i'm in a similar position as @darko.) thanks!

I'll also be looking into others recommendations. I watch a lot of different genres of anime and am always keen to check out something new. I think Noir is next up.
Now Playing: Persona 5 Scramble, Animal Crossing: New Horizons, Mario Kart 8

Brush Wizard - Mini Painting Blog | The SHMUP: BYOAC Build | Art Thread

« Reply #20 on: September 22, 2011, 03:06:50 am »
This is such an obvious recommendation that I wonder if putting it here will just induce eye-rolling, but here goes.

Vampire Hunter D:  Bloodlust  

It's a feature film.  It needs to be seen by everyone, everywhere.

Also secondsy's on Elfen Lied, though I always feel like a pervert watching it for some reason.  Maybe it's the box art.

One I really like is Godannar, a giant robot series that is kind of a light-hearted parody version (or "knock-off" if you will) of Evangelion.  It's got alot of cheeky fan service, but the robot vs creature combat segments are amazingly entertaining.  The interplay between all the characters is hilariously melodramatic.  This isn't the 'dark and moody' stuff you are looking for, though.  I just like putting it out there!

Also, Giant Robo.  Great stuff.  I have a thing for giant robots.

amauriel

« Reply #21 on: September 22, 2011, 05:18:52 am »
Bonus Points for Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust: It's got DTS sound. Maybe not a big deal now, but when I got my receiver, I think that's the first movie I had that had it.
"You can buy everything, except love, friendship, and exp. points."

darko

« Reply #22 on: September 22, 2011, 09:52:08 am »
Well I finished Paranoia Agent last night. If I wasn't forced to watch every second (to read the subtitles) I would have been completely lost by the end. I liked it. I thought the ending was a little meh, but it's an interesting and entertaining one for sure.

Does anyone know anything about Blassreiter? It sounds like it's right up my alley.

madmax

« Reply #23 on: September 22, 2011, 10:36:22 am »

Also secondsy's on Elfen Lied, though I always feel like a pervert watching it for some reason.  Maybe it's the box art.

I know :/ I watched it back when I had roommates and they thought I was watching somekind of Japanese children Hentai. They always walked by at the wrong time as well <.<  

Still worth watching though xD To clarify, there's nothing really sexual in the show.

scott

« Reply #24 on: September 22, 2011, 10:43:04 am »
To clarify, there's nothing really sexual in the show.

Other than the whole, awkward, boob grabbing scene in the 2nd or 3rd episode. Ha

Also,  I didn't really feel perverted watching it, thanks to all the over the top ultra-violence. On the other hand, Girls Bravo and Shuffle! did, but I was laughing the entire time so I didn't care.

madmax

« Reply #25 on: September 22, 2011, 12:00:04 pm »
To clarify, there's nothing really sexual in the show.

Other than the whole, awkward, boob grabbing scene in the 2nd or 3rd episode. Ha

I thought about that but it's presented in such a comedic way that you can't help laugh at the situation :p

although I was a little disturbed by the whole cousin loving a cousin. is that normal in japan?

scott

« Reply #26 on: September 22, 2011, 12:09:15 pm »
I have no idea, but that seemed really strange to me too. To make it worse, in the manga, they end up married with a daughter name Nyu, ha.

desocietas

« Reply #27 on: September 22, 2011, 09:37:49 pm »
Well I finished Paranoia Agent last night. If I wasn't forced to watch every second (to read the subtitles) I would have been completely lost by the end. I liked it. I thought the ending was a little meh, but it's an interesting and entertaining one for sure.

I'm glad you liked PA!  I'm not always sure how people will respond to it.  Definitely not an anime to watch while doing anything else.
Currently playing:
FFXIV (PC), The Witcher (PC), Monster Hunter World: Iceborne (PS4)
twitch.tv/desocietas

darko

« Reply #28 on: September 22, 2011, 11:16:00 pm »

I'm glad you liked PA!  I'm not always sure how people will respond to it.  Definitely not an anime to watch while doing anything else.

I like almost anything thought provoking. I actually had it on my mind most of the day and looked up some various (alternate to my own) interpretations of the story. I haven't done that with anything I've seen in several years. Quite interesting.

darko

« Reply #29 on: September 27, 2011, 10:14:31 am »
Well I finished up Elfen Lied last night. It is pretty brutal but I didn't mind. I enjoyed it.

I started watching Ergo Proxy last week and it's pretty cool so far (I'm on episode 5). I also started watching Blue Exorcist last night and I'm really enjoying it.