Author Topic: VGConnect June 2013: Earthworm Jim  (Read 6329 times)

foxhack

Re: VGConnect June 2013: Earthworm Jim
« Reply #45 on: June 06, 2013, 05:28:33 pm »
According to the documents included with the game, the Rainbow Arts (GOG) port was based on the Sega CD version. So... it might be a thing on the Genesis.

sin2beta

« Reply #46 on: June 06, 2013, 06:20:05 pm »
I also have found that some things don't translate when it came to analog. So, if you are using a wired 360 controller or something, you might not use the stick for EWJHD. I found the stick to be really bad when trying to pick your @$$ up away from the Lou Ferrigno Cats.

Also, one of the main differences I found in EWJHD from normal to original difficulty is that the game assists some of the movements. For example it automatically press up for you when hanging on a ledge from the roided out cats. And the hit detection is made much wider when trying to dock at the air valves in down the tubes. But the enemies and level design seem the same. Same number of hits, etc.
UPDATED 01/22/2016 New Ages of SEGA "Space Slalom" is now on....
SegaNerds.com: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t7J9ZbGNB-c

« Reply #47 on: June 06, 2013, 10:37:43 pm »
ok im up to what the heck.
forgto how hard this game was.
thank god for lvl passwords
doubt i could do this in one go anymore.

« Reply #48 on: June 06, 2013, 10:41:02 pm »
thank god for lvl passwords

lol, Thank god for cellphone cameras! I dont have to use pen and paper anymore to remember the codes!!!

sin2beta

« Reply #49 on: June 06, 2013, 11:20:24 pm »
So, I'm trying to figure out the pattern without going to gamefaqs and I feel stupid for not being able to find the pattern.... but that robot chicken at the end of level 5 when you start falling.... I just shoot maniacally standing in one spot and it seems about a 50/50 chance of me killing it before it kills me.

scott

« Reply #50 on: June 06, 2013, 11:26:41 pm »
That Robot Chicken smoked me, and I was doing so well. All of Level 5 annoyed me, cause I couldn't tell what I could and couldn't jump on and it seemed to be a lot of blind leaps of faith too.
Now Playing: Persona 5 Scramble, Animal Crossing: New Horizons, Mario Kart 8

Brush Wizard - Mini Painting Blog | The SHMUP: BYOAC Build | Art Thread

sin2beta

« Reply #51 on: June 09, 2013, 11:34:27 pm »
So, where do you guys think this fits compared to other platformers? I would honestly have to put this one fairly high on my list. It's not the enjoyment I get from Sonic 2 or Mario 3, but I think it is the level right below those. I think it is a tad better than the Konami platformers like Rocket Knight and Tiny Toons Buster Busts Loose. And I enjoy it more than vectorman. It's certainly a lot better than games like Cool Spot.

Basically, it is not the system seller platformers. But it is the next step down in my opinion.

foxhack

« Reply #52 on: June 10, 2013, 01:04:16 am »
Gave the level another shot.

Still can't get past those goddamn jewels.

thomascozine

« Reply #53 on: June 10, 2013, 02:27:35 am »
So, where do you guys think this fits compared to other platformers? I would honestly have to put this one fairly high on my list. It's not the enjoyment I get from Sonic 2 or Mario 3, but I think it is the level right below those. I think it is a tad better than the Konami platformers like Rocket Knight and Tiny Toons Buster Busts Loose. And I enjoy it more than vectorman. It's certainly a lot better than games like Cool Spot.

Basically, it is not the system seller platformers. But it is the next step down in my opinion.
I think what holds the game back is the difficulty. The latter half of the game just gets annoyingly hard. At least for me. Which is really a shame since it has such a great feel. The atmosphere, art design, and characters are some of the best from this time.

It's kind of like Battletoads in this regard. Fun game. Good controls. But annoying to absurd difficulty.

sin2beta

« Reply #54 on: June 10, 2013, 05:07:53 pm »

I think what holds the game back is the difficulty. The latter half of the game just gets annoyingly hard. At least for me. Which is really a shame since it has such a great feel. The atmosphere, art design, and characters are some of the best from this time.

It's kind of like Battletoads in this regard. Fun game. Good controls. But annoying to absurd difficulty.

I think the battletoad similarity is very apt. I don't think EWJ is nearly as difficult. Although it has been years since I played battletoads. But it does seem to be very similar in feel, attitude, humor, and quality. Good call with that comparison!

sin2beta

« Reply #55 on: June 11, 2013, 12:47:05 am »
My copy of EWJ for Game Gear made it in today! I'm probably one of the few people who gets super excited over a new Game Gear game. Anyways, it plays remarkably similar to the Genesis version. In my opinion, there have always been two different types of portable games. The Game Boy/Game Gear method where it is the same title as the console game but a very different game. Then there is the PSP model where it is just a shrunk down version of the console game. Despite being on the Game Gear it really feels like the PSP model. This isn't my video, but it showcases it a bit...

Things of note:

- The whip and gun are the same button. Tap to whip, press to fire. This sounds awful, but it is surprisingly easy to manage. I've yet to accidentally do the wrong thing surprisingly.

- The hit box for the whip is REALLY big. If you whip at a crow, it will go down.