Author Topic: What handheld should I buy?  (Read 2041 times)

What handheld should I buy?
« on: June 06, 2013, 12:52:35 am »
So, the last handheld system I bought was the GBA.  New.  So it's been a while. 

I've really avoided handheld systems, because I find that I never have the time to play them.  But I feel like I'm missing out on good gaming experiences.  So, I'm looking for a system to add to the collection.

What would you suggest?
A PSP Variant?  A DS variant?  NGC?

Re: What handheld should I buy?
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2013, 06:57:21 am »
what sort of games are you looking to play.
I really like the 3DS

scott

« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2013, 07:54:25 am »
I'd suggest the 3DS. I do enjoy my PSP. But the DS family always got more playtime from me.

If you count in the DS library, that's a strong library to choice from already. But both are good systems with lots of options for games.
Now Playing: Persona 5 Scramble, Animal Crossing: New Horizons, Mario Kart 8

Brush Wizard - Mini Painting Blog | The SHMUP: BYOAC Build | Art Thread

turf

PRO Supporter

« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2013, 10:37:05 am »
Quit looking and go buy a 3DS XL right now.  There are tons of good games.  I think Nintendo (and every other developer)  has finally realized that every game doesn't have to have a touch screen gimmick.  There are a ton of solid platformers, RPGs are good (so I hear),  fun puzzle games, and all kinds of good shit.  On top of that, it has Mario Kart 7.  It's a fun system.  I enjoy the heck out of mine.

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2013, 11:40:02 am »
Yeah, I can vouch for the fact that handhelds are now getting the lion's share of the best (IMO) RPG's.

The PSP (if you just want one to play games on), I would think, could be bought very cheaply now -and- its RPG's look & sound MUCH better than they do on the DS...also - if (like me:) you're more of a "Big-Screen" kinda' guy/gal, w/ the PSP, you have the option & ability to output your video games to display on a big screen/HDTV.

The DS *also* has a lot of good RPG's on it, though :)

AND -the 3DS looks to be stealing almost all of the present/upcoming RPG's  :o

If I were you, I would:

A). Get a cheap & basic (used or new) PSP (+ the video output cables, if you like), and

B).  Get a 3DS-XL.

Between the PSP, the 3DS' b/c with older DS games + all of the RPG's it already has (and looks like there's more coming)...you'd have your bases pretty well covered :)

Of course, if you don't like/play RPG's - my opinions & experiences won't be of much help to you :P
"Attempts must be made, even when there can be no hope.
 The alternative is despair.
 And betimes some wonder is wrought to redeem us"

darko

« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2013, 01:20:55 pm »
Pros & Cons:

3DS
Pros: nice screen, some good games, great e-shop downloads, plays DS games, good online multiplayer
Cons: need the circle pad pro for some of those good games, battery life

DSLite
Pros: good battery life, solid library of DS games, plays GBA games, inexpensive
Cons: wifi sucks

PSP
Pros: nice screen, vast library of slightly more mature themed games, PS2-esq graphics
Con: loading times, some good games are getting difficult to find in the wild, battery life

Other thoughts: you can easily mod a PSP to play NES, PS1 and Genesis games and you can easily get a card for the DSLite. I'm not condoning piracy, but to be fair I think it should be mentioned :)

turf

PRO Supporter

« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2013, 01:32:56 pm »
Other thoughts: you can easily mod a PSP to play NES, PS1 and Genesis games and you can easily get a card for the DSLite. I'm not condoning piracy, but to be fair I think it should be mentioned :)

There's one for the 3DS as well.

desocietas

« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2013, 03:06:01 pm »
Pros & Cons:

3DS
Pros: nice screen, some good games, great e-shop downloads, plays DS games, good online multiplayer
Cons: need the circle pad pro for some of those good games, battery life

DSLite
Pros: good battery life, solid library of DS games, plays GBA games, inexpensive
Cons: wifi sucks

PSP
Pros: nice screen, vast library of slightly more mature themed games, PS2-esq graphics
Con: loading times, some good games are getting difficult to find in the wild, battery life

Seconding darko's comments.  DSLite was my favorite handheld (might still be), esp since I could play GBA games on it.  But since you already have a GBA...  The lack of wifi doesn't bother me unless you plan on online multiplayer, and it's true that that's probably the only downside of that console.  Everything else about it is great (though not being able to change brightness mid-game is a little frustrating).

3DS is good, and I think the XL has a better battery than the regular 3DS...?  The 3D functionality is something you can ignore - I've yet to find it really enhance any experience except for the stock games with the included VR cards and the remake of Zelda.

I've hardly used my PSP, it's a little unwieldy for me, but there are definitely some good games out there (but far and few between).

The Vita is still a fledgling right now.  No good reason for you to get one just yet.
Currently playing:
FFXIV (PC), The Witcher (PC), Monster Hunter World: Iceborne (PS4)
twitch.tv/desocietas

soera

« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2013, 03:37:52 pm »
Ill agree on the DSlite. I have a 3DS that has yet to be removed from its box yet cause my DS does everything I need it to plus the GBA games. With that being said, LTTP2 is coming out on 3DS so its going to get its use soon!

I have a PSP and havent really gotten into it yet. I one day plan to get all the Ys games on it cause, other than PC, its probably THE system to own if you like that series. Plus atm, getting PSP games should be fairly cheap if you can find them.

desocietas

« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2013, 04:51:41 pm »
I have a PSP and havent really gotten into it yet. I one day plan to get all the Ys games on it cause, other than PC, its probably THE system to own if you like that series. Plus atm, getting PSP games should be fairly cheap if you can find them.

The Ys series is probably the only game(s) I've used my PSP for for the most part.  Definitely a good batch there to get if you get a PSP.
Currently playing:
twitch.tv/desocietas

« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2013, 08:06:59 pm »
Lot of good info to chew on here, but it seems as though there is a pretty clear trend in most responses.

If I were you, I would:

A). Get a cheap & basic (used or new) PSP (+ the video output cables, if you like), and

B).  Get a 3DS-XL.

This might be the winner so far, depending on how cheap I can get into a PSP for.  I had someone offer me an almost free PSP, but he said he did something weird with the firmware, but he didn't THINK it was bricked.  So that's intriguiging. 

Thanks for the input so far!

« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2013, 10:50:25 pm »
So after some quick pricecharting/ebay/amazon/cowboom research, it looks like I'd be around 75-100 for a PSP with assorted accessories, and probably 150-200+ for the 3DS XL.

Although on Cowboom they had some 32g Wii U's for 240 that were tempting...

I think I'll look towards a 3DS XL in the short term, and wait for the right deal on a PSP.

desocietas

« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2013, 01:36:32 am »
I think I'll look towards a 3DS XL in the short term, and wait for the right deal on a PSP.

That sounds like a really good plan.  In the meantime, you can start looking for (3)DS/PSP games!
Currently playing:
twitch.tv/desocietas

ziondood

« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2013, 02:15:19 pm »
Yea I agree with the 3DS XL! I love mine so much, the fact you can still play DS games on it opens up a whole new library compared to the Vita :/ Yea you can download PSP titles to it but its not as much fun as finding a good deal on a DS game out in the real world :]
The Vita is also a beautiful system, there just aren't enough games coming out to make it worth the price at the moment.
I own both systems so I'm not just being a fan boy either haha. :p

« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2013, 09:55:10 pm »
I don't know about the PSP or Vita, but there are tons of JRPGs on the DS (Chrono trigger, dragon quest, suikoden, blue dragon, golden sun, final fantasy...).

And let's not forget Pokémon :D. The DS has the biggest library of Pokémon games.