Author Topic: Sega Spectrum  (Read 3978 times)

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

Sega Spectrum
« on: June 06, 2013, 08:49:39 pm »
I'm sure many of you have already seen this teaser image from Sega:

So, what are your speculations on what it could mean?

There's rumblings about it being a possible new Sega console. Do you guys think we may be seeing the resurrection of the Sega of old?

Personally, I think that just sounds too good to be true. So what do you guys think it's about, then?
« Last Edit: June 06, 2013, 08:52:19 pm by burningdoom »

redblaze57

PRO Supporter

Re: Sega Spectrum
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2013, 08:54:10 pm »
best guess their own games engine and the will say that we'll see it being used for the first time in Sonic Lost Worlds

jobocan

« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2013, 09:00:39 pm »
best guess their own games engine and the will say that we'll see it being used for the first time in Sonic Lost Worlds

That's what I was thinking, that would be pretty cool.
Making proprietary engines instead of being lame and just using UE3 is nice.

foxhack

« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2013, 09:07:31 pm »

That's what I was thinking, that would be pretty cool.
Making proprietary engines instead of being lame and just using UE3 is nice.
Yes, how dare they use an existing engine which would save them millions of dollars in development costs!

jobocan

« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2013, 09:13:54 pm »
I just like seeing unique engines (or at least their own engines) instead of devs getting half the work already done for them. It's just a pet peeve of mine :P

sin2beta

« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2013, 09:43:39 pm »
My guess is an arcade board. When the SEGA Ring was teased a few years ago, it was met and treated the exact same way.

However, the below teaser was for a new football manager game. SEGA is extremely cryptic in their teasers. So, who know what it could be...

UPDATED 01/22/2016 New Ages of SEGA "Space Slalom" is now on....
SegaNerds.com: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t7J9ZbGNB-c

haloofthesun

« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2013, 10:07:44 pm »
I'd like a new Sega console, but it won't happen. Or rather, it's at least not what this is about. Considering Sega just signed an exclusive agreement with Nintendo for 3 Sonic games, there's no way they'd do that if they were about to launch a new console. They'd be saving all Sonic games for themselves.

sin2beta

« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2013, 12:40:43 am »
So, E3 is almost over and I still don't know what a SEGA Spectrum is...  :(

soera

« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2013, 09:35:33 am »
I cant find anything out about it either.  :-\

sin2beta

« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2013, 06:10:06 pm »
I subscribe to several SEGA blogs and news sites and they seemed confused by not knowing what it is. It was a Japanese teaser, so it is possible it is still hidden in the japanese sega sites. But it at least is not on their main page....

« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2013, 06:38:47 pm »
I'm not to familiar with how dates are formatted in Japan but is there any chance that the date in the teaser is for December 6th and not June 12th?

sin2beta

« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2013, 06:53:13 pm »
I'm not to familiar with how dates are formatted in Japan but is there any chance that the date in the teaser is for December 6th and not June 12th?

No, next to the numbers are the Kanji specifying day, month, or year. Translated in a very literal sense is 2013 year 6 month 12 day.

« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2013, 12:00:54 am »
Cool thats good to know. I guess nothing is coming of this then. damn you sega!

tripredacus

« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2013, 07:25:10 pm »
The typeface used for the Sega logo is from a fan-made font. The A is the easiest way to tell.

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2013, 10:36:19 pm »
The typeface used for the Sega logo is from a fan-made font. The A is the easiest way to tell.

Good eye, you're right. The bottom left of the "A" doesn't connect to the "G" like it does in the normal Sega logo. We've all been duped.