Author Topic: Buy It / Don't Buy It?  (Read 3824 times)

soera

Re: Buy It / Don't Buy It? (or Should We Start Rating Games?)
« Reply #30 on: November 21, 2012, 06:03:36 pm »
Toys 'R' Us just emailed a coupon for a free Skylanders Spyro's Adventure Stater Pack with purchase of a Giants Starter Pack (Wii)...

I don't own it yet and wasn't sure if this was a good deal or not.  Any thoughts?

Also, any thoughts on which console it'd be best for?  I don't own a Wii, but I figure I will (or something compatible with Wii games) in the future.  This coupon seems to be only for the Wii version.

This isnt a bad deal if you want both games. You get Spyro/Gill Grunt/Trigger Happy with the spyro set and Jet Vac/Cynder/Tree Rex with the Giant set. You can play both sets of characters on Giants and setting the ownership of the first 3 on your giants game gives you a bigger exp bonus. The console is just whichever you prefer. If you have a DS, that is probably the one I would choose if you use it cause the actual characters you get are bonus characters on that and the portal on the DS system is universal and doesnt use batteries so you dont have to worry about it running out of power. If you have a PS3 getting the Giants starter kit comes with a wired portal as well and its definitely a preferred option over the wireless one that come with Spyros.

desocietas

« Reply #31 on: November 21, 2012, 06:47:19 pm »
Hm, good to know.  Unfortunately, that coupon was for last Saturday only, and I ended up deciding against dropping $80 on a couple of games that I may or may not even play for who knows how long (don't have a Wii right now).

Thanks for the thoughts on the console choices!  I might still pick it up sometime since it's gotten such good reception, but I don't *need* it.
Currently playing:
FFXIV (PC), The Witcher (PC), Monster Hunter World: Iceborne (PS4)
twitch.tv/desocietas

desocietas

« Reply #32 on: November 29, 2013, 08:37:11 pm »
$30 for Muramasa Rebirth Blessing of Amitabha Edition (collector's edition)... buy it / don't buy it?
Currently playing:
twitch.tv/desocietas

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

« Reply #33 on: November 30, 2013, 07:25:48 am »
I've got no problem w/ users rating games; hell, I have no problem rating the games that I play, either.

BIG DISCLAIMER & note though = "Ratings" are so very, very, very subjective -and- are basically just 1 person's *opinion* of the game in question.

For example: Me, Kimimi, Erik, and Brad *might* rate certain games similarly...I'd always rate Disgaea games highly...however...for many other users who aren't into steep learning-curves, necessary (post-game, at least) grinding/farming, and a time investment of 100+ hours; obviously, the game would/should get & reflect a very low rating for them.

There are others into Shooters/Shmups, etc -that- even if rated highly by others, would still always (simply by default) never rate higher than a 1 or 2...to *ME*.

I mean, I'd be happy to give my opinions on games, and I can enjoy reading other's opinions of other games & genres -but- as a device to convince/disuade another member here from spending/not spending their money (unless, of course, we're only talking about a few bucks); I think it could have horribly negative (unintended) effects...

*subtracts 2 cents from checking balance*   :P
"Attempts must be made, even when there can be no hope.
 The alternative is despair.
 And betimes some wonder is wrought to redeem us"

« Reply #34 on: November 30, 2013, 11:45:06 am »
I agree completely, and this is exactly why I refrain from doing reviews on my blog - and even when I do write reviews elsewhere I avoid scoring or anything like that.

So yeah, I'm happy to give *my* opinion, but if I do please don't take it as anything more than that.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2013, 10:54:56 pm by kimimi »

desocietas

Re: Buy It / Don't Buy It?
« Reply #35 on: November 30, 2013, 01:26:59 pm »
I decided to amend the title of the post since the post is older and a bunch of us had already talked about it back then when it was new.  But I agree with what Kimimi and Disgaeniac have said so far.

What I have enjoyed is hearing folks trying out games that I've been curious about and seeing what they think about it.  I don't tend to read reviews as I worry too much about spoilers and being biased about something before I even try it myself, but I appreciate when reviews make sure to go over the basics of game functionality and design.  Does it lag? Do the graphics appear outdated?  Do the graphics matter?  Is there a tutorial, and is it any good / how long does it last?

But yes, it can be very subjective as different games appeal to different folks for all sorts of reasons.  For example, I've been strangely addicted to Hometown Story and, while it admittedly has a *lot* of faults, I find myself strangely compelled to play it over Animal Crossing: New Leaf which has plenty of acclaim (but currently bores me).

I still hesitate to recommend Hometown Story, though, and have even bought Animal Crossing for friends as gifts.

Anywayyy.... TL;DR: Reviews are definitely subjective, and I bought Muramasa anyway :)
Currently playing:
twitch.tv/desocietas

scott

« Reply #36 on: November 30, 2013, 01:45:39 pm »
TL;DR: Reviews are definitely subjective, and I bought 4 copies of Muramasa anyway :)

fixed that for you.
Now Playing: Persona 5 Scramble, Animal Crossing: New Horizons, Mario Kart 8

Brush Wizard - Mini Painting Blog | The SHMUP: BYOAC Build | Art Thread

desocietas

« Reply #37 on: November 30, 2013, 01:46:21 pm »
TL;DR: Reviews are definitely subjective, and I bought 4 copies of Muramasa anyway :)

fixed that for you.

hahaha you don't know me!

*quickly checks Amazon to see if they're still on sale*
Currently playing:
twitch.tv/desocietas