Author Topic: Atlus might be in trouble!  (Read 4127 times)

desocietas

Re: Atlus might be in trouble!
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2013, 02:09:55 am »
Currently playing:
FFXIV (PC), The Witcher (PC), Monster Hunter World: Iceborne (PS4)
twitch.tv/desocietas

« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2013, 12:35:12 pm »
:(  Thankfully, I found this

http://www.destructoid.com/atlus-usa-currently-a-ok-amid-index-corp-financial-mess-257160.phtml?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

Will let me sleep a little better...

I'm still pretty worried.  Most likely Atlus will be sold off in order for it's parent company to re-coop it's loses.  So who's able to buy them?  Sony? EA?  I'm doubtful they'll have the same freedom as they do now.  As a company they take a lot of risk (which we love) on some of the titles they bring here.  I truly hope they make it through this unmolested by the bigs.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2013, 12:36:54 pm by varkias »

jobocan

« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2013, 12:58:07 pm »
I do hope Nintendo picks them up, seems like a match made in heaven. They can probably afford it, and they're already in a good relationship right now.

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2013, 01:38:10 pm »
Honestly...I don't know what kind of funds NISA's sitting on top of -but- if they can't afford to buy Atlus outright, I'd like to see a "NISA <==> Atlus" merger/partnership just to see more games get console (and/or console + handheld) releases as opposed to almost everything going to the handhelds  8)
"Attempts must be made, even when there can be no hope.
 The alternative is despair.
 And betimes some wonder is wrought to redeem us"

« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2013, 07:10:23 pm »
Honestly...I don't know what kind of funds NISA's sitting on top of -but- if they can't afford to buy Atlus outright, I'd like to see a "NISA <==> Atlus" merger/partnership just to see more games get console (and/or console + handheld) releases as opposed to almost everything going to the handhelds  8)

That is a sweet idea!

sin2beta

« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2013, 07:42:50 pm »
I do hope Nintendo picks them up, seems like a match made in heaven. They can probably afford it, and they're already in a good relationship right now.

Then project rainfall could have twice as much work...
UPDATED 01/22/2016 New Ages of SEGA "Space Slalom" is now on....
SegaNerds.com: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t7J9ZbGNB-c

foxhack

« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2013, 08:03:53 pm »
Yeah, no thanks.

If Nintendo picks them up say goodbye to releases on anything other than Nintendo systems.

jobocan

« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2013, 08:13:03 pm »
Yeah, no thanks.

If Nintendo picks them up say goodbye to releases on anything other than Nintendo systems.

I frankly don't see why that'd be an issue at all.

foxhack

« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2013, 08:35:02 pm »
For one thing, you can bet half their titles would never get released outside of Japan. Not to mention Nintendo would keep sticking their nose in their business. Persona 6 Featuring Mario? It can happen.

haloofthesun

« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2013, 09:29:37 pm »
For one thing, you can bet half their titles would never get released outside of Japan. Not to mention Nintendo would keep sticking their nose in their business. Persona 6 Featuring Mario? It can happen.

Considering SMT 4 has gotten a rather large amount of pre-orders in the US and Etrian Odyssey 4 is one of the top selling 3DS games, I'd say that's doubtful.

jobocan

« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2013, 01:40:58 am »

I don't know, I don't get this whole "Nintendo ruins everything they touch" logic.
People kept saying that about Bayonetta 2, how they'd make it shit because... they're Nintendo. Now that we saw gameplay for that we know that nothing bad happened to the game even though Nintendo funded it.

I really think they'd just let Atlus do whatever they want as they are, except their games wouldn't be on Sony consoles anymore. And I don't see that as a problem.

foxhack

« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2013, 11:02:25 am »

I don't know, I don't get this whole "Nintendo ruins everything they touch" logic.
People kept saying that about Bayonetta 2, how they'd make it shit because... they're Nintendo. Now that we saw gameplay for that we know that nothing bad happened to the game even though Nintendo funded it.

I really think they'd just let Atlus do whatever they want as they are, except their games wouldn't be on Sony consoles anymore. And I don't see that as a problem.
The incredibly reduced install base isn't a problem? Take 2 estimates that there are more than 120 million  Ps3 / 360 consoles combined as of June 7 (source). Add whatever amount of Vitas have been sold to that, plus add Atlus small but constant PC sales (they've published a number of indie games.)

Now, some places say the Wii U has sold much, much less than that. (Wikipedia says 3 million as of March, though I suspect the number is much higher after the Xbone presentation.). The 3DS? 31 Million.

Which means a lot less revenue. A lot less people to sell games to.

Also, they don't ruin everything they touch - but Megaten has always been a series that is completely different from anything Nintendo's ever produced or funded. Very unlike their "family friendly" style.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2013, 11:08:51 am by foxhack »

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2013, 11:24:57 am »

The incredibly reduced install base isn't a problem? Take 2 estimates that there are more than 120 million  Ps3 / 360 consoles combined as of June 7 (source). Add whatever amount of Vitas have been sold to that, plus add Atlus small but constant PC sales (they've published a number of indie games.)

Now, some places say the Wii U has sold much, much less than that. (Wikipedia says 3 million as of March, though I suspect the number is much higher after the Xbone presentation.). The 3DS? 31 Million.

Which means a lot less revenue. A lot less people to sell games to.

Also, they don't ruin everything they touch - but Megaten has always been a series that is completely different from anything Nintendo's ever produced or funded. Very unlike their "family friendly" style.

Gotta agree w/ Foxhack on this one because:

1).  Like he said, the size of the install base,

2).  How far off (something like, say, the SMT series) is from the games and tones/styles of games that Nintendo does well, and

3).  Look at how many Atlus (and NISA, even) games have started out as "console-only" games...only to later receive ports/re-makes (usually w/ more features & content) on the hand-held systems.

Though I always prefer a console's ability to use my fav controllers & play on a big screen instead of a tiny one...I'll always be strongly for *BOTH* (Niche games (my favorites:) getting released on as many different platforms as possible) in order to reach as many gamers & support their developers & creators as much as possible.

I guess that a more "recent" example would be Persona(s) 3 & 4...sold great on consoles - then sold great on hand-helds = (IMO) win/win  8)
"Attempts must be made, even when there can be no hope.
 The alternative is despair.
 And betimes some wonder is wrought to redeem us"

scott

« Reply #14 on: June 29, 2013, 11:34:17 am »
I guess that a more "recent" example would be Persona(s) 3 & 4...sold great on consoles - then sold great on hand-helds = (IMO) win/win  8)

Too bad Persona 3 sucks balls on PSP compared to the PS2 version. It's so trimmed down and the point and click adventure set up of the day section is crap.
Now Playing: Persona 5 Scramble, Animal Crossing: New Horizons, Mario Kart 8

Brush Wizard - Mini Painting Blog | The SHMUP: BYOAC Build | Art Thread