Author Topic: VGConnect July 2013: StarTropics  (Read 5739 times)

sin2beta

Re: VGConnect July 2013: StarTropics
« Reply #45 on: July 12, 2013, 09:41:39 pm »

:o

Two bananas at once?!? Mike never ceases to amaze me with his talent...

I think I'm going to power through this game this weekend like Mike powers through bananas.
UPDATED 01/22/2016 New Ages of SEGA "Space Slalom" is now on....
SegaNerds.com: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t7J9ZbGNB-c

scott

« Reply #46 on: July 13, 2013, 10:39:02 am »
I have the game on Wii, but I started playing it last night via emulator on my DS. Only problem is, it isn't a good rom of the game and I actually couldn't see the items in my inventory. I managed to get to chapter 3 before calling it quits last night.

I'm gonna wander to game shops today after work and see if I can find a cart for it locally. If not, then I'm gonna restart on my Wii VC copy.
Now Playing: Persona 5 Scramble, Animal Crossing: New Horizons, Mario Kart 8

Brush Wizard - Mini Painting Blog | The SHMUP: BYOAC Build | Art Thread

sin2beta

« Reply #47 on: July 13, 2013, 10:47:55 am »
I have the game on Wii, but I started playing it last night via emulator on my DS. Only problem is, it isn't a good rom of the game and I actually couldn't see the items in my inventory. I managed to get to chapter 3 before calling it quits last night.

I'm gonna wander to game shops today after work and see if I can find a cart for it locally. If not, then I'm gonna restart on my Wii VC copy.

Just curious, did you see the posts on the previous page about the inventory items?
UPDATED 01/22/2016 New Ages of SEGA "Space Slalom" is now on....
SegaNerds.com: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t7J9ZbGNB-c

scott

« Reply #48 on: July 13, 2013, 12:21:35 pm »
Oh I knew about that. What I meant is it's all garbled and you can't see what the items in the boxes are. So I have to guess which ones I'm selecting. :)

Like, rather than a yo-yo, I see Mike's overworld sprite in that box. It's messed up.

spac316

« Reply #49 on: July 13, 2013, 05:10:37 pm »
I just recently bought Zoda's Revenge CiB for $10! I figured since I have the original CiB...

thomascozine

« Reply #50 on: July 25, 2013, 10:40:04 pm »
Finally, getting around to at least typing this up. I really wanted to do a video, but not just a let's play kind of thing like I did for Earthworm Jim. Sadly, with how busy my life is it hasn't worked out. So, instead I'm doing a little write up.

Playing with my girlfriend, who had a little bit better experience with the game then I, having grown up with it, was a real help. I played back in the day, but not much since it was a friends. The puzzle solving was still challenging, but she's more analytical then I so we could play off each others strengths. I have to say I think the gameplay has held up really well after 20, some odd, years.

I can see why some might not like the controls. Say, you just played Zelda and then went into StarTropics. The tight controls might come off as too stiff. But given some time they make perfect sense. Considering the enemy movements and platform structure I feel the game would be worse for it. Which makes me worry about Zoda's Revenge.

But overall, I really enjoyed this game. The battery save was also a Godsend.

soera

« Reply #51 on: July 25, 2013, 10:56:56 pm »
I played about an hour so far this month ... just really wasnt feeling it. :(

scott

« Reply #52 on: July 26, 2013, 09:40:56 am »
I've only had time to play the little bit I did too. But I am really glad we chose it for this month. Its a great game, and I'll be sure to return to it soon.

jobocan

« Reply #53 on: July 30, 2013, 07:39:58 am »
I finished playing through it. I played it on emulator because I'm lazy, and used a gratuitous amount of save-states.

Man I must have been some kind of gaming god when I was a kid, this game is REALLY hard, and having to play through the final few levels nearly flawlessly is almost inconceivable.

What I like about this game is how good the game design is. EVERYTHING is deliberate. The way you move, how your attack works, the items, the range of your attacks, how jumping works, how the levels are set up, how the monsters move, how secrets are hidden, character progression... everything is meticulously planned so that everything works with everything else. It has its issues, namely the part with the parrot, and with the piece of paper you have to dip in water (if you get the game used, you likely won't have that piece of paper)... But the good parts of this game are SO good I can ignore the few flaws.

When anyone tells me they want to get into making games, I tell them to go play StarTropics.

It's a shame Zoda's Revenge destroyed the franchise. Instead of building on what made the first one great, it just broke what didn't need fixing.