Author Topic: VGConnect July 2013: StarTropics  (Read 5733 times)

sin2beta

VGConnect July 2013: StarTropics
« on: June 29, 2013, 12:02:20 am »
This is the official thread of the July VGConnect. Post anything related to Startropics here:

Until July 1st gets here, what are your memories of this game? This was actually a childhood favorite of mine. It was one of the easiest games to find toward the end of the NES's life. I remember going into a KB Toys all the time and they would just have copy after copy of Star Tropics and Zoda's Revenge. The abundance of copies is what I remember most.  ;D I think I eventually bought them both new in the playstation/saturn/n64 era actually. This was like mid to late 90s. This was probably the first RPG that made sense. Up until this point I don't even think I knew that Zelda had dungeons. I just did not "get" RPG games. I remember StarTropics being a good intro to RPGs.

I always found it a bummer Zoda's Revenge was not a SNES game. I wonder how the series would have done if that was the case.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2013, 12:07:21 am by sin2beta »
UPDATED 01/22/2016 New Ages of SEGA "Space Slalom" is now on....
SegaNerds.com: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t7J9ZbGNB-c

scott

Re: VGConnect July 2013: StarTropics
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2013, 12:39:54 am »
My cousin had Startropics when we were kids. I remember him showing me it and I instantly fell in love with it, but never picked up my own copy. I borrowed it countless times over the course of my early gaming days and got really far, but never finished it.

Love the music in this game.
Now Playing: Persona 5 Scramble, Animal Crossing: New Horizons, Mario Kart 8

Brush Wizard - Mini Painting Blog | The SHMUP: BYOAC Build | Art Thread

jobocan

« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2013, 01:01:40 am »
StarTropics was actually the first and only game that I called the Nintendo Help Line for. Well, also Mario 64 but that was because of my cartridge was glitched... StarTropics was the one game I called them because I was actually stuck in it. So it's notable for that in my memories.

As an NES game in general it's notable for being the only NES game developed by Nintendo themselves that didn't get a japanese release at all (I think... oh and the sequel of course... correct me if I'm wrong). There's also the Nintendo version of Tetris, but they got another version so I don't count that :P

It's one of my favorite NES games actually. If I managed to be able to make a top 10 for the system, it would be in there. Amazing music, I liked the storyline and setting, badass gameplay... there's nothing really wrong about it. Sad that Zoda's Revenge didn't live up to the first AT ALL, it's terrible in comparison.

I'll definitely play through this soon for the VGConnect :P

scott

« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2013, 09:58:28 am »
I kinda enjoyed Zoda's Revenge and thought it was neat. But agree that it seemed like a lesser version of the game. Eventually I want to get both on NES, all I have is Startropics on Wii VC right now.
Now Playing: Persona 5 Scramble, Animal Crossing: New Horizons, Mario Kart 8

Brush Wizard - Mini Painting Blog | The SHMUP: BYOAC Build | Art Thread

soera

« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2013, 10:20:33 am »
Im looking forward to this. :)

thomascozine

« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2013, 02:46:49 pm »
It may sound kind of odd, but what I always took away from StarTropics was the control. It took me a second to get the hang of it. As being stuck to a grid was a game mechanic I have never played before. But since the game was designed around it makes so much sense. I find it more enjoyable because of it.

sin2beta

« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2013, 05:19:08 pm »
StarTropics was actually the first and only game that I called the Nintendo Help Line for. Well, also Mario 64 but that was because of my cartridge was glitched... StarTropics was the one game I called them because I was actually stuck in it. So it's notable for that in my memories.

As an NES game in general it's notable for being the only NES game developed by Nintendo themselves that didn't get a japanese release at all (I think... oh and the sequel of course... correct me if I'm wrong). There's also the Nintendo version of Tetris, but they got another version so I don't count that :P

It's one of my favorite NES games actually. If I managed to be able to make a top 10 for the system, it would be in there. Amazing music, I liked the storyline and setting, badass gameplay... there's nothing really wrong about it. Sad that Zoda's Revenge didn't live up to the first AT ALL, it's terrible in comparison.

I'll definitely play through this soon for the VGConnect :P

I liked hearing the Nintendo Help Line story. I never called but always remember the advertisements and such. It's a long gone era from before the internet. It brings back memories similar to the Official Nintendo forums with people like NOA Andy.

I didn't know that it did not get a Japanese release. Interesting.

Your and mascozine's comments have me interested about the controls. I don't remember them too well.

I am looking forward to the game!

turf

PRO Supporter

« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2013, 06:53:53 pm »
I have never played this game. I put if in to see if it worked, but I've never played it.
This is going to be a good test to see if these NES games are actually good or if I'm blinded by nostalgia.

trunkwontopen

« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2013, 08:18:26 pm »
I kinda enjoyed Zoda's Revenge and thought it was neat. But agree that it seemed like a lesser version of the game. Eventually I want to get both on NES, all I have is Startropics on Wii VC right now.

Agreed. ZR had a good thing going, but it seemed more linear than Star Tropics I. I'm honestly surprised that Nintendo doesn't have any plans on re-hashing the series. It's coming up on its 25th here in 2 years.

foxhack

« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2013, 12:20:05 am »
Nintendo hasn't done anything with the series in nearly that long. The games didn't even get released in Japan, so they probably don't care about it.

jobocan

« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2013, 10:18:00 pm »
Your and mascozine's comments have me interested about the controls. I don't remember them too well.

I am looking forward to the game!

It might feel odd at first. Moving around feels stiff, because you don't actually move in a direction right away when you press it, but rather Mike first turns in that direction and then he can start moving (unless you're already facing that direction, of course. It makes you think more about how you move around, since you can't just twitch out of the way like in other games.

So it feels odd when you start playing, but the game really is designed around that movement and after a dungeon or 2 it will feel natural.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2013, 10:42:59 pm by jobocan »

sin2beta

« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2013, 10:25:01 pm »
I might feel odd at first.

:o

That made me laugh.

I plan to start the game tomorrow. I seem to remember the grid like movement. I remember jumping being a pain... Not sure if it was or not though.

soera

« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2013, 10:28:38 pm »
I decided on the game I want to play ... but Im going to wait on it and try to enjoy this one for a bit first. Tomorrow it is!

jobocan

« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2013, 10:43:29 pm »
I might feel odd at first.

:o

That made me laugh.

And that, kids, is why you should read your posts before posting :P

soera

« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2013, 10:59:44 pm »
I feel odd all the time!