Author Topic: Picked up an Ouya, here's my thoughts on it.  (Read 2598 times)

theflea

Picked up an Ouya, here's my thoughts on it.
« on: July 04, 2013, 02:08:31 pm »
I picked up an Ouya last Monday, mostly out of curiosity then anything else.
I asked the guys at the store I bought it from, "can the games downloaded to this be played offline?" They all said yes.
This was important to me because I really don't think this system will last, and in time the servers will shut down.
After hooking it up and getting a long update the system ran.

The first thing I noticed was the controller lags pretty bad when scrolling through menus and games. Also I found the buttons kinda stick at times, and the Trigger buttons creak with their springs inside. But it's comfortable to use.
So I download a few games, then after a few downloads the system wouldn't download anything.
I was thinking wtf? Everything was "in queue" so I looked up online and it seems to be an issue with this system.
So I had to reset the system to original factory status and had to start over on all my downloads. (ugh)

So then I went through the game menus and was looking at what games I wanted to buy. And all of the games have no prices on any of them. You have to download the game before you can find out if its a free game or you have to pay for it. (ugh)

So After downloading Final Fantasy III I played the demo and thought, "this is pretty cool, guess I'll pay the $15 for it" So I hit the purchase button and payed for it. Then after downloading many other freebie titles, I disabled the internet and checked on how it would play. It booted up and I saw the buttons on the games I downloaded and tried to play FF3, and I got an error message that said I had to be online to play it, $15 wasted.  >:( (ugh)
But I only found two of the 20 games I downloaded has this issue. So test it offline before you click buy.

Next I downloaded the emulators. There's emulators for NES, SNES, N64, Genesis, Atari 2600, Neo Geo, Game Boy, NDS, PC, PS1, and I'm sure more later. So I downloaded some roms to test the emulators and after much trail and error. I got the them to read the roms and played some games. and the controls are so laggy it's really though to play. Kinda nice to sample the games I don't have in my collection, but it's weak compared to the original carts.

Most of the games I played where simple games you can play on a tablet or smart phone and if you already have one, whats the point of an Ouya? In conclusion the Ouya is a doomed system. The controls are laggy, the games are just smart phone aps, and the emulators are barely playable due to it's laggy controls. Games that are DMR and will become worthless once the servers go down. I have to say the Ouya is not worth the $100 investment. I only recommend one as a collectors item because I really don't see this thing lasting long.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2013, 11:56:01 pm by theflea »
"Happy game hunting!!!"

soera

Re: Picked up an Ouya, here's my thoughts on it.
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2013, 03:04:12 pm »
I hate to say it but Im glad you did this. Ive seen some craigslist ads for this, seen the posters at Gamestop and wondered if it would be something for me to buy. After reading this, there is no way Im going to get one.

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2013, 04:20:36 pm »
I hate to say it but Im glad you did this. Ive seen some craigslist ads for this, seen the posters at Gamestop and wondered if it would be something for me to buy. After reading this, there is no way Im going to get one.

Same!
"Attempts must be made, even when there can be no hope.
 The alternative is despair.
 And betimes some wonder is wrought to redeem us"

htimreimer

« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2013, 05:50:07 pm »
i was skeptical of the ouya and it looks like my skepticism was right

« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2013, 02:00:52 am »
I was eyeballing it for a cheap xbmc for the bedroom, with the (debatable) added bonus of an app library.  Im trying a raspberry pi solution right now, which seems alright, but for the board, power, hdmi, and a wireless nic, I was getting close to the ouya in price anyway.

« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2013, 04:13:33 pm »
I got my OUYA on tuesday... its decent hardware for $99, hopefully someone figures out the controller issues sooner than later(or makes their own OS for this thing). Controller lag seems to get worse the more apps you play as if its not closing background apps/games. Have you tried any games with a PS3 or 360 controller?  I also had issues with WiFi connecting so I had to wire it in...

EMUya is the only redeemable thing I found on there so far (super bat puncher!).

I hear XBMC runs pretty damn well on this thing. I havent tried it yet... will try some time this week.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jLFFLsHpgkY
« Last Edit: July 05, 2013, 04:16:23 pm by pceslayer »

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2013, 04:31:26 pm »
I've heard nothing but terrible things from everyone I've seen that has one. I feel sorry for the people that actually donated to their Kickstarter.

« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2013, 04:56:40 pm »
I've heard nothing but terrible things from everyone I've seen that has one. I feel sorry for the people that actually donated to their Kickstarter.

Its still early... Hopefully someone steps up and works out the bugs. Unlike the big 3 these guys don't have the money or experience to get it right the first time out of the gate. Its decent hardware for the pricepoint...

« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2013, 06:52:52 pm »
ok tried a 360 controller with the OUYA and its a million times better!

ffxik

« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2013, 11:41:57 pm »
No disrespect to the people that have bought and enjoyed the Ouya.  I think I'll sit this one out.  My daughter got an android tablet for Christmas.  I just can't get into the games.  She loves it so I guess that's all that matters.   ;D

teck

PRO Supporter

« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2013, 03:17:52 am »
I was quite intrigued at first as well, but I have been experiencing almost overwhelmingly negative feedback from my customers when I am at work....  It is funny, I sell thousands of retro titles but most of my customers fall into two categories....  Either someone has been pirating tons of games and now wants something authentic because there is no comparison, or they do not want to spend the money on titles and ask me how to pirate them....  I feel like I may have seen some of the latter become the first, ha!

« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2013, 07:02:51 pm »
I was quite intrigued at first as well, but I have been experiencing almost overwhelmingly negative feedback from my customers when I am at work....  It is funny, I sell thousands of retro titles but most of my customers fall into two categories....  Either someone has been pirating tons of games and now wants something authentic because there is no comparison, or they do not want to spend the money on titles and ask me how to pirate them....  I feel like I may have seen some of the latter become the first, ha!
So they have been buying it for the emulators? A few people have been working to get retoarch running on it native.

Towerfall with 3 or 4 players is the most fun ive had since bomberman with my friends in highschool. Now if it only would support online play.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2013, 07:04:48 pm by pceslayer »

teck

PRO Supporter

« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2013, 12:54:51 am »
So they have been buying it for the emulators? A few people have been working to get retoarch running on it native.

Towerfall with 3 or 4 players is the most fun ive had since bomberman with my friends in highschool. Now if it only would support online play.

Some won't admit it in front of me since I run a retro game store (and clearly that is counter to my store's profits), but the gist of the conversations I hear definitely lean that way....  People like to tell me nonstop their opinion on retro game pricing and that "BLANK BLANK is too expensive!" or "BLANK of the BLANK BLANK" is a ripoff....  That is where most of it seeds from....  I can't help that some people out there believe Conker's Bad Fur Day is not worth more than 5 dollars, but what am I to say~?

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2013, 11:32:06 am »
@TECK

Do you have a link/on-line list/catalog of what you're selling at your shop?

Specifically, (in my case & interests) PS1, PS2, PS3, PSP, DS, 3DS, Gamecube and GB/GBC RPG's, guides, ost's, swag, etc?
"Attempts must be made, even when there can be no hope.
 The alternative is despair.
 And betimes some wonder is wrought to redeem us"

teck

PRO Supporter

« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2013, 04:13:15 pm »
@TECK

Do you have a link/on-line list/catalog of what you're selling at your shop?

Specifically, (in my case & interests) PS1, PS2, PS3, PSP, DS, 3DS, Gamecube and GB/GBC RPG's, guides, ost's, swag, etc?

Nope, sorry....  We're brick and mortar only....  It is extremely rare that we sell anything online, but we sold a CIB Out of Control online once....  Also we have a Pepsi Invaders that will likely get sold online since the rare atari stuff moves much more slowly that other stuff....  Hagane sold in like 2 days recently and there is a CIB Contra Force that is also getting a lot of attention....  So I'd wager the chances of anything being put up that you are looking for are quite slim, sorry....