Author Topic: Suggestions  (Read 5371 times)

Re: Suggestions
« Reply #15 on: January 03, 2012, 06:20:50 pm »
Alright, I don't want to come off as a douche, but this just popped into my head, and I want some who is familiar with the PSN store games to flat out agree or disagree before changes are made.

My idea is that Playstation Network should be it's own category. Playstation Network, or PSN should be reserved for Minis and and PS1 classics (and whatever name Sony wants to use that plays on multiple Sony-hardware). Like my whole Fate /Unlimited Codes issue, all the downloadable games from the PSN Store should be listed as such: XXXXXX (PSN Store) and PS3 games in the PS3 section as XXXXXX (PSN Store). Example would be that I don't physically own InFamous, so I should NOT have 'InFamous', but 'Infamous (PSN Store)'.

I realized this trying to update Patapon 2, which I don't have the "Patapon 2 (Download Voucher)" and realized this Playstation Network category might complicate things as well as make an unnecessary category. Sorry about all that.

matt

« Reply #16 on: January 03, 2012, 07:58:02 pm »
oh not a problem at all. I'll wait for others who are more knowledgeable than me on them to chime in before making any further changes. Honestly it'll probably make sense to break XBLA out into it's own section once the next-gen platform comes out.

« Reply #17 on: January 05, 2012, 01:59:04 pm »
Hmm, so no one had any input on the situation? Well Matt, I don't know how easy it would be to fix that, but making the Playstation Network it's own thing might be the best move. Especially since the PSVita will also be using the PSN Store and so that will just add to the confusion since the PSP games downloaded are playable on the PSVita, but the PSVita will not be playable on the PSP. As for XBLA, I'd say just wait and see. Especially since I don't know how Windows Phone 7 works with their whole Xbox Live thing besides that you can't download games to the Xbox at all.

matt

« Reply #18 on: January 05, 2012, 06:12:57 pm »
Easy fix so no worries. I went ahead and made master PlayStation Network and Xbox Live categories and just moved the other ones. I think this is the right solution as they both are becoming their own platforms and will continue to grow out of their original systems.

« Reply #19 on: April 14, 2012, 10:35:24 pm »
Okay, I'm getting back into updating (and correcting) my collection, but I was noticing with the Playstation Network category, there are several different types of pictures being used. Now this might not be a big deal to some, but it would seem a good idea to be more uniform in some way.
One suggestion I have would be to use the "icon" images. I have been doing that with the PSP downloadable games, grabbing the icon0.png out of a save file (and doubling the size because it is extremely small), however, that doesn't seem necessarily possible with the PS3 downloadable games as I cannot copy some save files to a USB drive at all. I'm not sure if anyone is really familiar with PS3 and PSP and/or any sites that can be used to easily get images to make this category look as uniform as possible.

jcalder8

« Reply #20 on: April 14, 2012, 11:06:41 pm »
I haven't had to add any pictures for the PS3 but for the 360 I get them all from MS so they are uniform to begin with. Does Sony have a similar listing for each of their games?

EDIT: I went to here: http://us.playstation.com/ps3/games-and-media/

and I searched for Joe Danger and it brought me to that game's page and there is what I would call box art for it on the right hand side. They should have similar pictures for all their games.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2012, 11:12:35 pm by jcalder8 »

Re: Suggestions (PSN)
« Reply #21 on: April 15, 2012, 07:18:21 am »
Oddly, the Playstation site isn't uniform about their "boxart" as they will sometimes create a box art, and other times use a PSN store icon. Also, they do not have a large box art for their games. The thing about PSN is that you kind of don't want to show the Disc Box Art, since you are downloading the game and not actually buying a case with a book and disc. If you look at my PS3 collection, you can see I unfortunately have a mix of either the store icon in it's box shape, or the rectangular icon used when you scroll through your list of games and save files. While I don't like them mixed, it is better than having no box art, but some people have just used the actual PS3 case as box art for a downloadable game.
http://vgcollect.com/jonathonstriker/psn
Also, the playstation store only shows a small image for the "boxart" where I could just get a larger picture from gamefaqs. gamefaqs doesn't always have the icons I use though so that is what is making the PSN sections (PSN PS3 and PSN PSP) difficult to make uniform, although I am trying my best for my contributions as I update my collection database.

PS: jcalder8: if you want to see the the problem I had about not finding something, search for Patapon 2 for PSP. You will see they only show the physical box while Patapon 1 only has a "demo" icon and Patapon 3 has several. Patapon 2 was originally downloadable only, and did have a voucher sold in stores, but not everyone got that voucher. So technically their should be 3 versions, Patapon 2 "disc version", Patapon 2 (Download Voucher), and just the Patapon 2 under the PSN PSP category for those who did not buy the voucher.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2012, 07:24:08 am by jonathonstriker »

jcalder8

« Reply #22 on: April 15, 2012, 07:41:07 am »
Thanks for the link to your collection I can see what you mean with Infamous.

I really don't have a solution for you. I would probably use the cover art since you get the same content from the download as you do from buying the disc.

kirbysuperstar

« Reply #23 on: April 15, 2012, 07:43:34 am »
Matt - are you able to make EU PSN/XBL categories, please?

scott

« Reply #24 on: April 15, 2012, 06:13:00 pm »
If matt doesn't get to it. I'll knock those out when I get home.
Now Playing: Persona 5 Scramble, Animal Crossing: New Horizons, Mario Kart 8

Brush Wizard - Mini Painting Blog | The SHMUP: BYOAC Build | Art Thread

scott

« Reply #25 on: April 15, 2012, 07:59:10 pm »
Matt - are you able to make EU PSN/XBL categories, please?

Made 3 new categories:

PSN (PS3) [EU]
PSN (PSP) [EU]
XBLA [EU]
Now Playing: Persona 5 Scramble, Animal Crossing: New Horizons, Mario Kart 8

Brush Wizard - Mini Painting Blog | The SHMUP: BYOAC Build | Art Thread

kirbysuperstar

« Reply #26 on: April 15, 2012, 08:04:51 pm »
Cheers!

foxhack

« Reply #27 on: April 15, 2012, 08:34:01 pm »
I haven't had to add any pictures for the PS3 but for the 360 I get them all from MS so they are uniform to begin with. Does Sony have a similar listing for each of their games?

EDIT: I went to here: http://us.playstation.com/ps3/games-and-media/

and I searched for Joe Danger and it brought me to that game's page and there is what I would call box art for it on the right hand side. They should have similar pictures for all their games.
I used a nephew's PSP and PSN account to browse their store and grab a -ton- of artwork for their PS1 and PSP Classics stuff for MobyGames (when I was still using the site) about three or four years ago. They were all in that small box format, there were no game icons or simple logos available. I think I basically used Print Screen to take shots of everything I could see. :p

So yes, I do think there's cover art for every item, unfortunately it's not easy to see online unless you have a PSN account.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2012, 08:38:31 pm by foxhack »

faxmachine

« Reply #28 on: April 22, 2012, 05:48:45 pm »
Suggestions:
1.) Permissions to users who are trustworthy with edits. I make a few of them (I think 35 yesterday?) and I sort of feel bad throwing more busywork towards you guys to approve.

2.) IRC chat room, or some sort of chat room (I know it was already mentioned).

3.) Ability to pick and choose which games are displayed in the "Collection Image" for signatures. I think it would be nice to show your top 5 games instead of your latest 5 (mostly because my latest 5 should be updated and it shows some bad games I have, lol).

4.) Bio, or location display in everyone's profile page (ability to hide it).

5.) Keep being awesome!

madmax

« Reply #29 on: April 22, 2012, 09:08:38 pm »
I don't know if i agree with that 5th one :P

I do agree that having a more "profile" feel to the collections would make sharing a little easier. Not like facebook of course but a little info and maybe a section for a picture or 2 of the collection :)